Final Player Level Adjustment *Updated (6/18/19)

Options
Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
edited June 2019 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Update: We discovered that in order to proceed with this adjustment, there will need to be some changes made to not just the back-end side, but also the client side of the game. We apologize for the brevity between our announcement and the procedure, however in order to successfully implement the player level adjustment, there will need to be a scheduled period of downtime tomorrow. 

Please find the anticipated hours of downtime listed below:
  • Start: 6/19/19 04:00 PT / 07:00 ET / 11:00 UTC
  • End: 6/19/19 06:00 PT / 9:00 ET / 13:00 UTC
Thank you very much for all of your patience and understanding.
-----------
Hi Everyone,

Thank you all for your patience regarding this topic. Our team has been hard at work on the upcoming 3.5 War of the Spark update and simultaneously determining how to iron out all the remaining wrinkles in the Player Levels topic. We're finally back again to talk about it, and this time we're going to keep it short and sweet, as this will be the final adjustment moving forward. We anticipate this to occur shortly after the 3.5 forced update goes live.

The Plan
All players that had already been playing the game at the time of the 3.2 update will first be reset to Level 1 and then gain Player Experience Points equivalent to their total Color Mastery Points multiplied by 50. This will place them at a Player Level that is directly reflective of all of the Card Experience they've earned from mastering their cards in the past. Please note that after this occurs, players may need to first play a game and earn card experience, in order to trigger the Player Level update. 

All affected players will also be awarded every reward under the new Player Progression Rewards from Level 1 to the level they were placed into, including the rewards for the levels they had earned already. We say new Player Progression Rewards, because in order to ensure that the game maintains a healthy economy, we have to alter the reward structure starting from Player Level 51 onward.

Every 10 levels after Level 50, players will earn a total of:
  • 1 Standard Booster Pack
  • 50,000 Mana Runes
  • 50 Mana Jewels
  • 5 Legacy Booster Packs

We want to be upfront about this. We did have to remove Mana Crystals from the rewards, however, in their place, players will now receive more Mana Jewels compared to before. Not only will players be able to earn more Elite Packs moving forward, they will also be able to use the Mana Jewels to acquire more of the upcoming new Vanguard Supports that will be arriving in the 3.5 War of the Spark update. For now, here’s a brief teaser as to what players can expect to see from this new feature.

(Disclaimer: Image currently displays placeholder values)

We'll be able to provide more information and in-depth details about Vanguard Supports, once we are able to share the 3.5 Pre-Release Notes.

Once again, thank you all for being so patient, and as always, thank you for being a part of our Magic Puzzle Quest community!

Comments

• Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you.

This is finally an acceptable solution (I mean, I don't think giving 20 crystals every 10 levels would be so game-breaking, but whatever)

And thank you for the preview planeswalker card as well, that looks really cool, although I have no idea what the loyalty icons do I am definitely intrigued.

1 more minor request @Brigby :  With this update could the team release an official spreadsheet with the level up
    rewards/xp costs up to level 50?  Past 50 will be the same forever so they don't need to do anything, but having an official record for the wiki and stuff would be fantastic.

Thanks again!!!
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,612 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    On the surface, this seems like a fair and agreeable solution for all.

Since I still do not have a clue how the player level is planned to be used, I can’t rule out an inconsistency with this solution, but lets cross that bridge when we get to it.
  • Brigby
    Options
    @Mburn7 I'll see whether or not I can find a list of the rewards/experience cost up to level 50. I'll see what I can do.
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Brigby said:

• 50,000 Mana Runes
    • 30 Mana Jewels
    • 5 Legacy Booster Packs

We want to be upfront about this. We did have to remove Mana Crystals from the rewards, however, in their place, players will now receive more Mana Jewels compared to before. 

Correct me if I am wrong but currently the players get 200 Mana crystals and 40 Mana jewels every 10 levels after level 50. Now it's no crystals and 30 mana jewels.

A little confused about how that adds up to more Mana jewels compared to before?
    You are taking away 200 crystals to give us 10 less jewels.

• khurram
    Options
    starfall said:
    Still getting my head around this. Let's take a single color common. It take 100XP to master.

If you master it after the update you'll get 100XP (obviously)

If you master it before the update, you'll get 2 color mastery pts, and then when the update hits that will be multiplied by 50 to produce 100 XP!

So for single colored cards the update is entirely fair.

---

Let's take a dual common.

If you master it after the update you'll get 100XP (obviously)

If you master it before the update, you'll get 4 color mastery pts, and then when the update hits that will be multiplied by 50 to produce 200 XP!

So by mastering dual cards now, you'll get twice as much XP for them as you can in the future after the update has hit.

Right?
    And a colorless common card gives 5 mastery points, right?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just Dropped In
    edited June 2019
    Options
    khurram said:
    Brigby said:

• 50,000 Mana Runes
    • 30 Mana Jewels
    • 5 Legacy Booster Packs

We want to be upfront about this. We did have to remove Mana Crystals from the rewards, however, in their place, players will now receive more Mana Jewels compared to before. 

Correct me if I am wrong but currently the players get 200 Mana crystals and 40 Mana jewels every 10 levels after level 50. Now it's no crystals and 30 mana jewels.

A little confused about how that adds up to more Mana jewels compared to before?
    You are taking away 200 crystals to give us 10 less jewels.

This. We have been blatantly lied to now.. there is a mtgpq wiki (search "XP") that proves it. SUSCIPICIOUS. EDIT: Now invalid - I was wrong

While I appreciate the effort in trying to fix a problem. Why does every fix to player levels feel so painful? Every positive fix seems to always be followed by a negative change. Like now, you give us our EXP and rewards and then permenantly nerf rewards per lvl. How can you spin this as giving us more? First, you take money for VIP.. then decide to nerf rewards? Valuetown for who?

This is on top of the fact that your XP system is once again flawed, it seems (as starfall pointed out). One of the reasons for "fixing" this player lvl system was to ensure that a veteran player and a fresh new player would receive the same player exp, lvl, and rewards - equality and fairness.. but it still appears to not be addressed. 

Are you sure you would like to proceed? The forums seem to be having less activity. Do you have statistics about mtgpq app usage? How are your google play store and apple store review trends? And probably the most important for you, D3Go, do you expect people to renew/purchase VIP if these are the types of fixes being implemented? 
  • Brigby
    Options
    Hi Everyone. Apologies for any confusion. I'll be sure to reach out to the rest of our team to double check and confirm the specific details.
  • khurram
    Options
    I actually like the new xp rewarding system better than the older ones. Its perfectly acceptable as far as the usual fixes have gone in the past. But the updated level up rewards need clarification.

Also, @Brigby when can we expect the 3.5 update to roll out, and can we get the full description on that Nissa's vanguard support? What are the other 2 abilities?
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've got no idea why it was necessary to start with an unnecessarily overcomplex concept, making it worse with a really bad fix and to finally round it up with another unnecessarily complex finish..and that the full process took several months of radio silence. But in the end it's really less worse than before,so it's something! Adding a little spoiler was a nice move.
  • Zzyzzx
    Zzyzzx Posts: 248 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm in the same lane with khurram ^^^
    I'm looking forward to finally unlocking that last "Favorite Deck" slot.
    And we'll earn all those rewards a 2nd time. 

• HarryMason
    HarryMason Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Oh boy. Another one. I'm annoyed, but some of y'all need to breathe. It's not that deep. 
  • Boogeyman
    Boogeyman Posts: 223 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Julie71 said:
    It is what it is a game.  
    I am not sure that Vegas would agree with you.  Anytime money is exchanged or time is invested, the game transforms into a business.  This is a business at the end of the day and we are the consumers.  While I respect the owners, it would be wise to listen to the consumers...