Bring back the Gauntlet

Options
System
System Posts: 1,024 Chairperson of the Boards
This discussion was created from comments split from: Some appreciation to the much-maligned Devs.

Comments

• jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The Gauntlet was never the same after they relaxed the "your team may not include any characters on the enemy team" restriction.  They'd need to find a new way to lock out Deadpool.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,194 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Malcrof said:
    Exactly! This is why i would love to see a new Gauntlet, see what they can do to us there!
    Yup, couldn't agree more.  The Gauntlet was always about the challenge, not the prizes.  I was never able to finish the 3rd leg, but it was always something that I thought was achievable over time.  But, then they got rid of it.  It's not like those who finished it got a lot of rewards for finishing (what was it, like 1 4* cover and some odds and ends), but it was a way of gauging how your roster was progressing.  I understand why they got rid of Heroics (though, I would argue the boost lists essentially serve the same function, so why not bring them back for variety), but I never understood why the Gauntlet was scrapped :(
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,194 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Shout out to that Thorkoye/Thanos node, I wonder how many non-pvp players wiped out on that?
    Eh. They're not that bad if Thor isn't starting at half health.
    Malcrof said:
    Exactly! This is why i would love to see a new Gauntlet, see what they can do to us there!
    Yup, couldn't agree more.  The Gauntlet was always about the challenge, not the prizes.  I was never able to finish the 3rd leg, but it was always something that I thought was achievable over time.  But, then they got rid of it.  It's not like those who finished it got a lot of rewards for finishing (what was it, like 1 4* cover and some odds and ends), but it was a way of gauging how your roster was progressing.  I understand why they got rid of Heroics (though, I would argue the boost lists essentially serve the same function, so why not bring them back for variety), but I never understood why the Gauntlet was scrapped :(
    Yeah, the last time they ran Gauntlet, I was still a 3* player, and didn't even have the Featured 4*. I'd like to see how I could do in it now. But it would have been cooler still if I'd been able to watch my Roster gradually doing better in it, rather than getting halfway through, and then suddenly two years later being able to crush it.
    True, but also remember that the Gauntlet scaled, so it'd still be a challenge.  Especially considering that Bishop would probably be in like half the nodes  :D
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, I would definitely be curious to see what roster-based scaling would look like for my current lineup. Not all the time, of course, that was hideous, but as an occasional thing, it could be pretty interesting.
  • 658_2
    658_2 Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Have they ever said why they got rid of the Gauntlet? I know people complained the last couple times it was run because the top prize was still a 4* cover, rather than cp, but that seems easy enough to fix. Shrug
  • StevO-J
    StevO-J Posts: 746 Critical Contributor
    Options
    658_2 said:
    Have they ever said why they got rid of the Gauntlet? I know people complained the last couple times it was run because the top prize was still a 4* cover, rather than cp, but that seems easy enough to fix. Shrug

I doubt there will ever be confirmation that Gauntlet (or Heroic PVE events for that matter) has officially been retired. After the Fight for Wakanda was announced to be 'under revision' or something like that it has never been mentioned again, so I will be surprised if that will ever return.too. Mind you, I still have Vault tokens for most of those events, so I hope they do run them again eventually... not counting on it tho.
  • spidyjedi84
    spidyjedi84 Posts: 514 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm with everyone else in wanting to see The Gauntlet return. My roster was just beginning to be mostly max champed 3 stars at that point, and I never got to play 4-stars, but I loved the challenge and seeing how I fared in the event and would love to see it return, especially on three day holiday weekends as it used to be run.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,631 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    As a still "new"-ish player (day 403) i havent ever gotten the chance to play this gauntlet, that everyone seems to talk about all the time. It comes up in every other thread sooner or later and i have no clue what it's like.

I wish they would run it so that i too can have an opinion on it. 

I wish they would run all those long forgotten things they took out of rotations, because as time goes by, more and more of us wont even know what they are, have never played them.
    Its pointless asking our opinions on surveys about whether we like them, when we have no clue. Sure i like it, i like anything that's new. And it would be new to me (and to a lot of other people too, i imagine).

So bring back this gauntlet, wakanda, those heroics (whatever the hell those are) and let us "newbies" experience them too.
     Im not saying run it back to back, but just like the 7 day events, drop it in from time to time.
    The Gauntlet's scaling was brutal for 3* rosters as I recall, like others I also now have a much better roster so would also be intrigued as to how I got on. I would imagine that we might see something alone the lines of the difficulty of Growth Industry last year.

"Heroics" were standard PvE events but with a heavy restriction on roster availability where all but a handful of characters are locked out for the event. For broad rosters, these aren't really an enormous mountain to climb but for newer players losing one or more of their PvE staples was a considerable mountain to climb which is why I suspect they got "retired".
  • maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I completed the Gauntlet the last time it was run, but even then, the rewards needed a massive overhaul, since the final reward was a single 4* cover for Luke Cage. It would be great if they'd give it a quick update and put it back into the event rotation.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,631 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ZootSax said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    As a still "new"-ish player (day 403) i havent ever gotten the chance to play this gauntlet, that everyone seems to talk about all the time. It comes up in every other thread sooner or later and i have no clue what it's like.

I wish they would run it so that i too can have an opinion on it. 

I wish they would run all those long forgotten things they took out of rotations, because as time goes by, more and more of us wont even know what they are, have never played them.
    Its pointless asking our opinions on surveys about whether we like them, when we have no clue. Sure i like it, i like anything that's new. And it would be new to me (and to a lot of other people too, i imagine).

So bring back this gauntlet, wakanda, those heroics (whatever the hell those are) and let us "newbies" experience them too.
     Im not saying run it back to back, but just like the 7 day events, drop it in from time to time.
    The Gauntlet's scaling was brutal for 3* rosters as I recall, like others I also now have a much better roster so would also be intrigued as to how I got on. I would imagine that we might see something alone the lines of the difficulty of Growth Industry last year.

"Heroics" were standard PvE events but with a heavy restriction on roster availability where all but a handful of characters are locked out for the event. For broad rosters, these aren't really an enormous mountain to climb but for newer players losing one or more of their PvE staples was a considerable mountain to climb which is why I suspect they got "retired".
    In the past, a lot of the difficulty of the Gauntlet were due to how the game was at that time.  For example, here's the first Gauntlet I remember playing (which was apparently the first Gauntlet, now that I look more closely):
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/18365/the-gauntlet-oct-30-nov-4/p1
    There were only four 4* characters at the time (IW, X-Wolv, Fury & Dino...and all of which were changed at least once since that time, if I'm not mistaken, so it's not even the same characters as they are today), with none of them ever boosted or required.  The 3*'s were carrying your roster, but this was before Strange, Cage, Fist, Witch, Thanos, revised IM40 (5/5/1 was thought by many to be his best build before he was fixed) and many of what are now the "top tier" of 3* characters existed, so options were much more limited than what you think of the 3* tier today.  Sure the enemies capped out at 395, but your 3*'s capped at 166, so even with boosts you were always expected to beat characters with a sizable advantage in levels (I was 1*-2* transitioner at the time, so I'm only speaking from forum experience on that point, personally).  Add into this that your characters would be locked out if the opponent had one of them on the team and a lot of the challenge was just getting three characters good enough for a particular node to beat it once.  This is the Gauntlet many vets remember with some fondness...or at least, "fondness".

For reference, here's the most recent Gauntlet I could find a thread for:
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/59424/pve-the-gauntlet-2017-02-16-to-2017-02-23/p1
    Presumably a new Gauntlet event would look pretty much like this, if you've never seen the format personally.

Finally, since I linked other event threads, here's the ones for the most recent Heroics I could find:
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/53778/pve-heroic-venom-2016-10-24-to-2016-10-27
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/62232/pve-heroic-juggernaut-2017-03-27-to-2017-03-30
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/54709/pve-heroic-oscorp-2016-11-10-to-2016-11-13
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/56943/pve-heroic-dark-avengers-2017-01-09-to-2017-01-12
    (@rainkingucd did many of the old event threads, so that's where I found these, FWIW)

You'll notice that all the Heroic events were limited roster versions of the prologue chapters with roster-based scaling.  They had more nodes than the prologue to fit the PVE sub-chapter formatting, but the story was the same.  If your "A-Team" was all included, these events were a breeze, as scaling wasn't as high as normal events, but on the other hand you could be in serious trouble depending if you weren't as lucky on the character list.

I've played Gauntlet (and did indeed play that one in the link, I suspect my first attempt would have been around May 2016 and was probably a total failure) but not the very early versions.

With the "Heroics" I seem to remember that Juggernaut had one where he was constantly fed AP and so would headbutt what was available of your roster to death. With the amount of characters there are today they would have to seriously scythe through a players roster to make it much of a challenge as I imagine there are probably more people in 3-4 zone than when these were run in the past.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,941 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I too was a 3* player the last time it was run. I could complete the first 2 phases but not the 3rd phase because I didn't have the 4* essential so I didn't even bother with the 3rd phase since I knew I was locked out of completion.

It's a very fun and challenging event. For 3* rosters it's virtually impossible to complete because of the bunch of 4* essential (your 4* will need to be well covered) nodes. But I'd imagine any 4* player (20+ champs) wouldn't have too many problems completing it even with the roster based scaling.

Gauntlet is one of those events that should run over the course of the PvP season and be listed under PvP instead of PvE (similar to the Simulator). Then the lesser rewards of Gauntlet would make sense since they'd be in line with the Simulator rewards (1 4* cover for finishing).

KGB
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    KGB said:
    Gauntlet is one of those events that should run over the course of the PvP season and be listed under PvP instead of PvE (similar to the Simulator). Then the lesser rewards of Gauntlet would make sense since they'd be in line with the Simulator rewards (1 4* cover for finishing).
    I'd keep it in PvE, as a sort of counterpart to the Simulator on that side. Maybe even start doing PvE Seasons as well.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I liked the Gauntlet.  They should run it in five day cycles like a separate 12 Days of MPQ, but on the same time schedule as DDQ so that they both refresh at the same time.
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The biggest downside to Gauntlet was the unkindness of its essentials -- if you were missing any, getting the top progression reward was impossible.  The best part of Gauntlet was that it was a truly play-at-your-own-schedule (within a week) mode.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The biggest downside to Gauntlet was the unkindness of its essentials -- if you were missing any, getting the top progression reward was impossible.  The best part of Gauntlet was that it was a truly play-at-your-own-schedule (within a week) mode.

I think they could get around that by restructuring it not to focus on characters, but groups and affiliations.  Like, for this level you need a member of the X-Men along, and the next a member of the Guardians, then a Villain, then an avenger,  etc.  That way you'd have to mix and match going through, giving more and better options for vets with deep rosters (exactly as a gauntlet style event should), but wouldn't lock anyone out entirely.  
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    With the "Heroics" I seem to remember that Juggernaut had one where he was constantly fed AP and so would headbutt what was available of your roster to death. With the amount of characters there are today they would have to seriously scythe through a players roster to make it much of a challenge as I imagine there are probably more people in 3-4 zone than when these were run in the past.
    Yeah, there was a node where Juggernaut had 2 of the Purple/Red Hammer goons giving him 4 Red AP a turn.  This node was stupid over scaled too, and he could Headbutt every other turn.  The early runs of Heroics had a MUCH smaller available roster compared to the last few times we've seen them (they increased roster availability a bit at some point).

In the early years of this game, this Juggs PVE fight ranks up there with some of the all-time most irritating and hardest PVE fights ever, along with such favorites as Galactus 1.0 (the "You're supposed to lose" version) and any "Boss Rush" 5-Star, in particular Phoenix (the version they used as the final PVE node in one of the new Cosmic Chaos PVE subs if I'm not mistaken). 
    For those new, look up her power set.  When over scaled (as was the common case back then) you more or less died on Turn 3 no matter what you did.  Good times...