Bring back the Gauntlet

Options

Comments

• Neuromancer
    Neuromancer Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Yeah, I believe participation rates were down for the event, which is why it was pulled, but that's pure speculation. I enjoyed it, and when I filled out surveys, I frequently requested the Gauntlet's return. Even if they didn't fix the rewards, I suggested they make it a month-long event that then reset anew as an aside to their regularly scheduled events. Being able to play at your own pace was a breath of fresh air, and was more in-tune with how the game was presented by the Prologue.

I also think they should build more automated events like lightning rounds (but for Story as opposed to Versus) that don't require designer updates. Something simple that passes out ISO and non-vault tokens so they don't need to load specific covers or stores.
  • Jormagund
    Jormagund Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I agree entirely with Ed_Dragonrider (if anyone in power is reading), please bring back Gauntlet/Heroics/Wakanda so newbies can see what the fuss was about.

Personally I joined even more recently and Growth Industry killed me, I'm not sure if I even had a two star champ then and couldn't clear the second node.  I'd like some revenge please.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,192 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    They will never bring it back
  • BagPuss
    BagPuss Posts: 70 Match Maker
    Options
    I want another try at ultron, Loki, shulk. Must rank as one of the best nodes ever. 

Gain ap, make matches, twin board shake. All the while ultron is dropping 50k bombs every turn. 
  • JohnnyStacks
    JohnnyStacks Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I remember the first time I finally beat The Gauntlet, I was pumped. Turns out, that was the last run of the gauntlet....
  • BagPuss
    BagPuss Posts: 70 Match Maker
    Options
    I remember the first time I finally beat The Gauntlet, I was pumped. Turns out, that was the last run of the gauntlet....
    Wasn't even the full fat version :wink:
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The big problem of an event like the Gauntlet is that it would be completely trivial for Gritty (+Bishop) players.

I was playing some of the survival nodes on the very last day of the IM vs Cap event, and they were completely brutal (specially in one were they forced you to use 2 Storm vs two waves of 460 level enemies). And then you brought Gritty and they were gone in a sec (the same as when Gambit existed). Those broken chars make events like Gauntlet trivial, and Devs know it (or you need to adjust difficulty A LOT, and then make the event impossible for the people that doesn't have those).
  • besOtrono
    besOtrono Posts: 9 Just Dropped In
    Options
    100% agree ,love Gauntlet and after they canceled was really pis off .Why Gauntlet!? was really something and different.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Polares said:
    The big problem of an event like the Gauntlet is that it would be completely trivial for Gritty (+Bishop) players.

I was playing some of the survival nodes on the very last day of the IM vs Cap event, and they were completely brutal (specially in one were they forced you to use 2 Storm vs two waves of 460 level enemies). And then you brought Gritty and they were gone in a sec (the same as when Gambit existed). Those broken chars make events like Gauntlet trivial, and Devs know it (or you need to adjust difficulty A LOT, and then make the event impossible for the people that doesn't have those).
    To be fair thorkoye makes them trivial as well. And neither combo is on the same level as the one man wrecking crew that was gambit.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    tiomono said:
    Polares said:

To be fair thorkoye makes them trivial as well. And neither combo is on the same level as the one man wrecking crew that was gambit.
    Sure (even though I dont think Thoryoke is in the same league when we talk PvE). But this is why I think they don't want to do it, as this mode is supposed to be really hard, a struggle for everybody that wants to finish it, and now it is not. And if they do it hard for people that has Gritty it would be impossible for the rest.
  • tiomono
    Options
    Polares said:
    tiomono said:
    Polares said:

Sure (even though I dont think Thoryoke is in the same league when we talk PvE). But this is why I think they don't want to do it, as this mode is supposed to be really hard, a struggle for everybody that wants to finish it, and now it is not. And if they do it hard for people that has Gritty it would be impossible for the rest.
    Well they are getting alot of really effective gritty counters released. Prowler, Thanos, Mehulk, Sabretooth, black suit Spidey, I'm probably missing some. They would naturally be included in a gauntlet revamp, and would slow down gritty teams.

What teams or characters specifically counter thorkoye or will slow them down in a gauntlet event?

To compare a team of 2 or 3 characters to what Gambit used to be is ridiculous.

And are we seriously going to say they are not going to put out new (or revamped) content because the meta teams can handle the challenge? I certainly hope not.
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Polares said:

Sure (even though I don't think Thoryoke is in the same league when we talk PvE). But this is why I think they don't want to do it, as this mode is supposed to be really hard, a struggle for everybody that wants to finish it, and now it is not. And if they do it hard for people that has Gritty it would be impossible for the rest.
    Since it's PVE without Ranking rewards and no interaction with other players, IMO who cares?
    Make it a decent difficulty level, a challenge but not stupid impossible hard (that Galactus Loki She Hulk node tho...) , and if players have Thoryoke or Gritty, good on them.  Just makes it easier for super vets and those heavily invested in the game.

Another possible reason why they retired the Gauntlet could be the solo nature of the event.
    It's a shame really, because it's the closest mode to what many players want = play on your own schedule that doesn't involved multiple hours each day, and one that is not forced by brackets and time slices and refresh times and sub-nodes and repeatedly plays and all that nonsense.  Simply have all of the rewards as progression, and if you can finish them all in the gracious time provided, "you win".
    But it doesn't create competition as a solo event the same why the current PVE model does (which spurns spending), so they don't like it.

Fun fact = the very first run of the Gauntlet awarded the first 10 players that beat the entire thing with a large amount of ISO.  But everyone after that?  No soup for you!
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Polares said:
    tiomono said:
    Polares said:

If this is their only reason for not doing the Gauntlet the answer is simple.  Lock out all 5* and you can only use 4* or lower.  Adjust scaling appropriately, perhaps have it be an SCL like event with lower scaling due to no 5* availability.  Many vets would probably appreciate an event that would rely on a deep 4* roster, using characters they normally don't use.
  • tiomono
    Options
    Warbringa said:
    Polares said:
    tiomono said:
    Polares said:

If this is their only reason for not doing the Gauntlet the answer is simple.  Lock out all 5* and you can only use 4* or lower.  Adjust scaling appropriately, perhaps have it be an SCL like event with lower scaling due to no 5* availability.  Many vets would probably appreciate an event that would rely on a deep 4* roster, using characters they normally don't use.
    Or better yet actually open up scl 10 and let it challenge 5* rosters. "Coming soon" tm.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    tiomono said:
    Warbringa said:
    Polares said:
    tiomono said:
    Polares said:

Or better yet actually open up scl 10 and let it challenge 5* rosters. "Coming soon" tm.
    Agreed, your answer is even better!
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Warbringa said:
    Polares said:
    tiomono said:
    Polares said:

Another idea, you get to use your entire roster, but, you get to use each character only once.  After that, they're locked out for the rest of the event.  So, you'd want to use all your weak characters early, and save the heavy hitters for the end. 
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Warbringa said:
    Polares said:
    tiomono said:
    Polares said:

Another idea, you get to use your entire roster, but, you get to use each character only once.  After that, they're locked out for the rest of the event.  So, you'd want to use all your weak characters early, and save the heavy hitters for the end. 
    That kind of change would only make sense if they also changed the event to reveal all enemy teams up front.  If you don't know what match ups remain, there isn't much strategy in picking when to use certain characters.
    Also, with 30+ nodes in the Gauntlet, you're suddenly saying that only those players with 90+ roster slots are allowed to complete the event.  That'll exclude even more players than the existing difficulty already did.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jamesh said:
    Warbringa said:
    Polares said:
    tiomono said:
    Polares said:

That kind of change would only make sense if they also changed the event to reveal all enemy teams up front.  If you don't know what match ups remain, there isn't much strategy in picking when to use certain characters.
    Also, with 30+ nodes in the Gauntlet, you're suddenly saying that only those players with 90+ roster slots are allowed to complete the event.  That'll exclude even more players than the existing difficulty already did.
    The first is definitely something that would need consideration. For the second, perhaps have it so characters cannot be used a second time until all have been used once, and so forth?