Game crashes during almost every match [Investigating]

Options

Comments

• InfiniteChaos
    InfiniteChaos Posts: 26 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Thésée said:
    Two teammates still plagued by those repeated crashes. Both on iPhone, nothing got better after  3.3.1
    Thank you for sharing the information about others who are still having issues.  Hoping others will continue to post their experiences so we all have an idea on the status of things.
  • InfiniteChaos
    Options
    The issues continue for me in TDW.  I was able to get two matches in - each with a reset of my device before playing.  Then after the second match I decided to create my event deck for the lower left node - and the game crashed during the deck building before it was complete.
    I reset the device, waited a while, and went into that node to play my match and the game crashed again - mid-match!

This is really bad news for me as I had reset the device prior to building the deck then playing the match.  The only thing I did not do was reset the device after building the deck, but again, I had reset prior to building then playing the match.

It's infuriating that even with device resets the game is crashing during the match. :(
  • InfiniteChaos
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Yet another crash - opponent had 18 health left and I had a full board of creatures... I didn't need to cast the spell that was cast before the game crashed, which makes this even more frustrating to lose like this.

Both crashes have been after clean restarts of my iOS device.  I've disabled all notifications from my device, made sure I was not running anything else before getting into the game, and still it crashes on me. :(

I find it hard to believe that I am the only one that is having these issues still. :(
  • InfiniteChaos
    Options
    UPDATE: 
    One thing I have observed (may or may not be relevant):  The two crashes came after editing the deck then going into the match.

As I mentioned in previous posts, I have been restarting my device before every match.  Even so, I suffered two crashes in matches.  These were my first matches in those respective nodes.  I had built the event deck, then gone into the match.

I have since gone back to both nodes and on one node with the same deck, I've been able to complete the match (still restarting the device before the match).

On the other node, I edited the deck, but opted to get out of the game and restart the device before starting the match.  I was also able to complete the match on the node without a crash.

So... not sure if it is related or not, but deck changes either from building the deck or editing the deck, followed by a device restart may have prevented a crash.  This is combined input with the comment that I am always going to restart my device before playing a match.

Good luck everyone!
  • InfiniteChaos
    Options
    I'm guessing there must be some massive memory requirements for the new patch regardless of cards being used.  My game crashed yet again - about 2 turns out from a win after I was simply trying to move a card up in the order.  Didn't even get to complete the move... just started it and boom - the game aborts.

I know there's more to it than the event prior to the game crashing... I'm on pins and needles every time there are cascading events or cascading gem matches that result in multiple cards proccing.  This latest game had a board clear when the AI played a card that destroyed every gem.  Otherwise, it seemed like a fairly normal match - as in yes, there were many cascades and several times multiple cards were played in one turn, but that shouldn't cause the game to crash (never did before patch 3.3).

iPad Air 1st gen.  No one else in my coalition seems to be having these issues - they appear to have newer devices.

So players with older devices are potentially rendered obsolete due to the new patch? :(

• AaronYonda
    AaronYonda Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Yet another crash - opponent had 18 health left and I had a full board of creatures... I didn't need to cast the spell that was cast before the game crashed, which makes this even more frustrating to lose like this.

Both crashes have been after clean restarts of my iOS device.  I've disabled all notifications from my device, made sure I was not running anything else before getting into the game, and still it crashes on me. :(

I find it hard to believe that I am the only one that is having these issues still. :(
    I have been having the exact same problems you describe. I’m on an iPad mini. I can get through one match usually and then it crashes shortly thereafter. Insanely frustrating. 

Unrelated, there is an occasional glitch with some cards (usually white deck?) that when you target something the card freezes and won’t do anything and I have to close the game. 
  • InfiniteChaos
    Options

I have been having the exact same problems you describe. I’m on an iPad mini. I can get through one match usually and then it crashes shortly thereafter. Insanely frustrating. 

Unrelated, there is an occasional glitch with some cards (usually white deck?) that when you target something the card freezes and won’t do anything and I have to close the game. 
    Are you restarting your iPad before going into a match.  Try that.  It helped until my latest crash which happened despite restarting my iPad before the match.

I'd be interested in knowing if restarting helps you get through each match for the remainder of the event.

Thanks
  • Grixis197
    Grixis197 Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Just lost my perfect run in TDW it was the 1st match I run I opened the app and it froze on me this game is just unplayable seriously D3 what you guys gonna do about it, as its just getting really stupid right now. 
  • InfiniteChaos
    Options
    UPDATE: I switched over to a new iPad Pro - much faster than my older iPad Air 1st gen.  So far no issues, though I am restarting before every match anyway.  I did try to play two in a row and had no issue.

Though this may be something everyone already was thinking, the issue for iOS seems to be with older devices versus anything newer.  I just don't know what qualifies as newer.

I hope the devs can come out with an update statement on this warning players with older iOS devices to be aware that the game may crash for them.
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,612 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @InfiniteChaos - the app has been very stable on my IPad Pro, but isn’t it a classic thing that software are built to take advantage of the latest hardware?

not saying that is alright, but it seem a recurrent thing since Win95. 🤔
  • Skiglass6
    Skiglass6 Posts: 149 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Tremayne said:
    @InfiniteChaos - the app has been very stable on my IPad Pro, but isn’t it a classic thing that software are built to take advantage of the latest hardware?

I am ok with saying that the software takes advantage of the newest hardware.  If this is the case, I would like to hear from the gamemakers the minimum hardware requirements. Maybe it doesn’t need to be stated as it seems obvious.
  • InfiniteChaos
    Options
    Tremayne said:

I guess that is true @Tremayne... I think I was reflecting more on the idea that I should have used my wife's iPad from the start instead of using the reboot device before every match approach...  I hope for the sake of those that do not have the luxury of playing on a newer device, devices like iPhone 6 or Ipad Air Gen 1 can still be used.
  • InfiniteChaos
    Options
    Skiglass6 said:
    Tremayne said:

I am ok with saying that the software takes advantage of the newest hardware.  If this is the case, I would like to hear from the gamemakers the minimum hardware requirements. Maybe it doesn’t need to be stated as it seems obvious.
    I agree with you @Skiglass6 - I also was thinking that I should have looked for the alternative I found before the event... perhaps I would have 4 more wins to my total than what I have now because of those crashes.

I hope they can resolve for my fellow players who do not have newer hardware yet and were able to play without as many issues prior to this update. 
  • TheDude1
    TheDude1 Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I generally don't experience a lot of these same freezes/crashes that most people find, but I did run into this one when using a River's Rebuke.  There weren't even that many creatures/supports on the board, the app just crashed the moment RR was cast.  Perhaps this is related to the other bugs of destroying multiple supports at once?
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,612 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @InfiniteChaos - didn’t catch that on the first read through. 😄

BTW - I (very) rarely also play on my IPhone SE and on that hardware I recently noticed the game is running extremely smooth, with fast animations and clearer graphics even though the screen is so much smaller. Somehow I wish they would do the same to the iPad version.
  • rafalele
    rafalele Posts: 876 Critical Contributor
    Options
    One of the beest and older player of my coalition has left it because the continuos crashes since 3.3 version.

Thank you for testing.
  • Talahamut
    Talahamut Posts: 231 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Same as before here... usually crashes in the third match, occasionally earlier as well though.
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My iPhone 6 Plus still crashes nonstop, but my old iPad 3 does NOT.

It's not just old vs new for sure. I would probably guess the old iPad had more memory.
  • Kinesia
    Options
    Kinesia said:
    My iPhone 6 Plus still crashes nonstop, but my old iPad 3 does NOT.

It's not just old vs new for sure. I would probably guess the old iPad had more memory.

Blink. Oh... The OLD ones are limited to earlier iOS versions... They don't have the new memory handling! 

So it's a mix of iOS level, memory in device and this version of PQ having the most cards than any other...

There was a new update to iOS today so I retried my phone. I can reliably get it to crash by going to Planeswalkers, opening Nicol Bolas and trying to edit the deck... That is the first time it tries to mass load all of the red/black/blue/colourless cards and it crashes almost immediately every time now.

Those shutting it down and then just playing one game are working around this, but this is almost certainly the problem, it isn't handling the memory for all the cards properly.
  • Kinesia
    Options
    Heard from one of my coalition mates that their iPhone 6 crashes but their newer iPhone 6s does not. Hopefully knowing which machines work and which don't will help narrow it down a bit!