Your thoughts on the *now* 90 second timer.

Options
Brakkis
Brakkis Posts: 777 Critical Contributor
Well, the timer was extended from 18 seconds to 90. Seems less awful but still an awful hamfisted approach to a minor problem that should have been fixed in a much better way.

Your thoughts on the *now* 90 second timer. 74 votes

I'm okay with it
18%
Grixis197knifelheimWiLDRAGEDropspotKinesiajtwoodFeiticieraKronulTunistDwayneRealPDStalkerNearlyNPanneo 14 votes
I'm hesitant but willing to give it a try
10%
VolrakNinjaEGunmix25Mburn7ArielSiraBigSwiftyVishanti920EnochRoot 8 votes
There's a better solution.
29%
versemageDragonSorcererZW2007-StormcrowIworbScottyp_123BeclasLaeuftbeidirbumstuffThuranFroggyBrakkisBilTheophilusShaarkBiiteBoogeymansouki12AlanakoEvilDeadTengu316 22 votes
I'm indifferent
2%
ManiiNamesFirinmahlazer 2 votes
This is the icing on an already bad cake (3.2's level system)
2%
Narcoticsagentstarfall 2 votes
Nope. No timer.
33%
bobby_2613GideonnerdstrapandrewvanmarleTherosarNeroTomBMachineFindingHeart8rafaleleTilwin90FurksBlinkedMatthewGilescloneJackGunner[Deleted User]IrishmeHJ16zypheros 25 votes
Cat gifs incoming
1%
wereotter 1 vote

Comments

• OmegaLolrus
    OmegaLolrus Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Options

I'd also like to vote cat gifs incoming.

It's still not a great solution, but 90 is much better than 18.

• KageTora
    KageTora Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Nope. No timer.
    As I said in another topic, I'm against any kind of turn timer. If it limits deck building and creativity in an inane way, I'm all against it. If you think there are cards that are unhealthy for the game and that enable too strong of combinations /loops (BSZ, I'm looking at you), do deal with them by all means. But not a game warping, core changing timer. 
  • Brakkis
    Brakkis Posts: 777 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The actual solution to the entire problem was nerfing (or rather, correcting) the individual cards responsible for the problems.

• Blue Sun's Zenith should not have given mana.
    • STV should not convert gems but instead only give mana equal to X where is X is the number of treasures and treasure reinforcements you control.
    • Prism Array needs to be hit with the nerf bat
    • Startled Awake should never have given mana. 
    • Olivia should only trigger on non-token creatures.
    • Zendikar Resurgent should only trigger on non token creatures.
    • Part the Waterveil should have been a spell with Awaken 6 and an extra turn with no mana gain.
    • Drowner of Hope should have never had its disable effect.
    You'll notice the majority of the offenders are blue. In addition, bounce should never destroy creatures. Ever. If the hand is full, the creature should be returned to the top of the player's library.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Cat gifs incoming

Also.... I'll go ahead and say that I'll be annoyed if the outrage of a few has delayed playable content for all.
  • OmegaLolrus
    OmegaLolrus Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    wereotter said:

Also.... I'll go ahead and say that I'll be annoyed if the outrage of a few has delayed playable content for all.

Well, that delivered.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Nope. No timer.
    An improvement but should only be limited to Greg.  Like said above, we already have Boss planeswalkers with 500+hp and "I win the game" abilities.

Game strategy should not be stifled.

I have no motivation to buy anything ever if huge nerfs like this exist on the table.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Nerfing Greg? No thanks, poor guy still recovering from his lobotomy.
    I'm all in on swinging the nerf bat hard on blue. Also, sunbird shouldn't fill stored mana.
  • Alanako
    Alanako Posts: 40 Just Dropped In
    Options
    90 seconds are enough to cast sunbird/bsz with 4 extra swap and use them to get another swap and fill and cast 2 more sunbirds and the bsz that remain from the first one
  • Alanako
    Alanako Posts: 40 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I'm sure they are not enough to create the token with 5000+ power that I got once with the trostani/March combo deck, but that was only to have a laugh and see how much high it could be
  • Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Nope. No timer.
    I just miss my objectives for the first time in RT for cast 3+ creatures with power 6 or more and power 3 or less. The stupid timer would not let me cast my creatures on hand because the timer ended. When the loops prematurely ends, the game ends when i attack. I came up short of casting a total of 6 creatures on 3 nodes already.

Why not apply the timer to greg?
    I hate when I have no control on when to end my game due to timer.
    In the example above, 90 was insufficient and my game ended prematurely making me miss secondary objectives.

The game is stupidly grindy as it is. Now it would take me more than 4 games to finish RT with this particular objectives. I don't have time for this.
    We know how  to put stop gap cards in our decks to control  loops, we don't need a timer on our end. Greg needs a timer.
    I had 3 extra swaps and 5 cards in hand. None of them was cast after the timer. Is this a bug or intended? 
    came to think of it, my loopy skaab goliath /squee deck would also come up short in lose x or more creatures due to that 90 timer.

• FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Nope. No timer.
    Nerfing Greg? No thanks, poor guy still recovering from his lobotomy.
    I'm all in on swinging the nerf bat hard on blue. Also, sunbird shouldn't fill stored mana.
    Like I said in the other thread, I'm thinking unfun Greg matches like Azors Gateway.  That Greg needs a nerf, in one match he was able to kill every creature I summoned and hit me for over 20,000 damage (thank you Lichs Mastery for saving my wombat tinykitty).  Summoning at least 2 creatures every turn, it still took over 30 minutes to kill him.   That's not fun, that's a chore.

• Froggy
    Froggy Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I posted this in another thread and only saw this poll right after. I was going to vote to do away with it, but I thought I'd try going with constructive input instead.

Several things to know about this needless feature.

It benefits the AI more than it does the players. For example, I cast Vivien's Invocation. I get the "cast prompt" message. When this appears, the timer PAUSES, the moment you tap yes or no, it resumes right from where it left off. There's no resetting of the timer or anything. Clearly this is counter-productive, as the whole point of a "Loop Prevention system" is to prevent:

ENDLESS LOOPS!

If the AI is going to kick off a loop deck that I often run, it has occasional spell prompts, etc. So therefore it is NOT endless. The AI might run it endlessly as it is not programmed to make decisions of this nature. But that also means if it were played against me and the loop kicked off, I most certainly will have lost that game anyways. So it's a matter of the player quitting the game.

So essentially, this "system" is something that was implemented to the disadvantage of the players. In the case of a loop happening like we were seeing with Murder Investigation/Ajani's Last Stand alongside Divine Visitation, that's fine. But here's another view on that - I ran that combo using Poison-Tip Archer and would win games running that loop alone (can't use it any longer since they changed DV, but I'm just pointing out that possibility). Of course if I played the cards in the wrong sequence it would backfire on me and I would end up in an endless loop. But the deck was built a certain way for my advantage over the AI and to win the game. Isn't that what Magic is all about after all? Using skill and imagination to properly read cards and build strategic decks to best your opponent? That is the one thing that draws me to Magic. Anyways, back to the subject matter here.

There needs to be more "rules" or "conditions" to this system if the devs insist on keeping it (frankly it should go to the scrap heap). Rules such as:

The following board and game requirements must be in place for the timer to begin or continue:
    - If no damage is dealt to the either player, AND
    - If no prompt messages are showing up (as that shows decisions are required, AND
    - If at any point during the turn, the above two conditions are not present or are interrupted, the timer RESETS.

The timer MUST reset as it simply means this is not an ENDLESS LOOP deck. Therefore the timer has no validity and it will not serve its purpose.

I may have missed something here, but I think something simple along these lines would work. Something that actually made sense and would not end up penalizing the players.
  • nerdstrap
    nerdstrap Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Nope. No timer.
    @Brakkis

wow - I never looked up Startled Awake paper version - designed before we had graveyard access but wow what a change
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I agree there is a better way but I'm willing to see how this timer thing goes for now.  90 sec should be plenty of time for most of my decks, and I don't run into loops so often (since I rarely have time for ToTP), so it probably won't be much of an issue.  18s was a whole other thing, though.
  • DragonSorcerer
    DragonSorcerer Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    Options
    killed my run when using Harness the Storm. Nothing would cast after that (had cards with full mana and extra swaps) until my turn ended.
  • Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Nope. No timer.
    killed my run when using Harness the Storm. Nothing would cast after that (had cards with full mana and extra swaps) until my turn ended.

Same thing happened to me in RT. I had 5 cards full of mana and 3 extra swaps. I missed my secondary objectives because of that. 90 secs is still not enough. The timer does nothing but punish the user and kills creativity.
    Let greg have the timer
  • DragonSorcerer
    DragonSorcerer Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    Options
    make it user configurable on the settings screen. 90 - 999 (or 9999) seconds
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    make it user configurable on the settings screen. 90 - 999 (or 9999) seconds
    You can't have people running and facing decks with variable turn timing.  It gives an unfair advantage to anyone using it.  That means one player facing a loop deck gets a chance to win when the turn force-ends, and another player facing the same deck loses because they turned the timer off.  You may as well just not have a timer at all then (which I guess is your point)

• Narcoticsagent
    Narcoticsagent Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Options
    This is the icing on an already bad cake (3.2's level system)
    Got my first game loss thanks to the LPS today. Took a long time to find imminent doom and I timed out with only 6 shields on it. I did get to finish my 17 extra swaps though not that it mattered since I had max loyalty max mana on cards and no supports to try and match away. 17 extra opportunities to contemplate how much the feature sucks. Greg comboed out and killed me next turn knocking me out of top 5 prizes. Feels bad.