Please provide information on mastering quickly!!!

Options

Comments

• Irishme
    Irishme Posts: 43 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I for one would really like some information on this.  Was this planned to basically screw those who played more? Do they plan to correct the levels for those who got screwed?  Do they even know there’s a problem? 

I was one of the unfortunate who mastered every card before the update. I am locked at level 43 until a new set comes out.  Not at all happy I was penalized for playing to much.  

Not going to let this go @Brigby
  • Gabrosin
    Gabrosin Posts: 259 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Chiming in to support those who got screwed for mastering their collections early.  By not producing a system that fully rewards these players, you're punishing them for having been the most active members of your game.  Worse, you're giving them no possible option to fix it; even if they wanted to spend the time and energy re-mastering their cards, they can't do so.

A handful more rewards in the direction of these players would be meaningless to the game's overall economy.  Please, adjust the levels in the next update so that a player's total XP counts all mastered cards at full value.

• Fiddler
    Fiddler Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    @Irishme I was a bit over 2000 cards mastered when the change to CM happened, and started at level 41. I've crafted or pulled over 70 cards since, the bulk rares.  Now I am half way to level 44. But I'm still 270 cards short of every card in the game., 227 of those mystic or masterpiece. When you say you mastered every card do you mean every card you had or all the cards in the game? 
  • Irishme
    Options
    @Fiddler There are 25 unmastered Masterpieces left.  I had all other cards mastered before the update.  2321 total cards mastered. I’ve gained 5 masterpieces since.  
  • Fiddler
    Fiddler Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    @Irishme wow, you were burned bad. I am guessing that you did not get to that amount of cards without investing a fair bit into the game. I certainly did earlier on to get where I am.  
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2019
    Options
    starfall said:
    Irishme said:
    I for one would really like some information on this.  Was this planned to basically screw those who played more? Do they plan to correct the levels for those who got screwed?  Do they even know there’s a problem? 
    I don't think they were planning to screw us, so much as they wanted to flatten out the distribution of player levels and didn't think through the implications.

The implications are not good, and the situation needs fixing.
    Totally agree on that statement. I don't think anybody wanted to screw even a single player. It's more likely they underestimated how many of us pointlessly mastered their cards. And, once again, that magic players  are a bit special.

And communication. From good (even Infos about a client update), to bad (ignoring our questions at first glance) to better (detailed answers - only to a part of the questions, but interesting nevertheless) to worse (ignoring once again). Communication is an ongoing process. Like a river. Not like a roller-coaster. As far as I know this forum is equally likely that this issue is being discussed, a fix is prepared and a blog post in the making or that we'll never ever hear anything official about this topic again.

This is not a cheap game. It sure is extremly generous to F2P players, but those of us who pay, pay a lot of money. Any small purchase in the vault is a small game in the app store. Any pw or exclusive mythic is a full video game.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone. I just wanted to pop in and let everyone know that we're certainly not ignoring the sentiment nor the questions. We've been having some back and forth discussions, and we're currently trying to schedule a call so that our team can discuss this topic in further detail.

I understand that a lot of players may be confused or frustrated by the questions still floating around, but we will be sure to bring them up during this call, so we can construct and provide an informative response for players. Thank you for your patience and understanding!
    Longshot question:  Would it be possible to have any players in on the call?  One of us may be able to explain the issue a little more clearly live rather than through responsive forum posts
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,612 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @Mburn7 - would like to be a fly on the call. Particularly, if they chose a player from say Finland or Hungary, who does not speak English very well.

seriously though, I think it is a valid question, but I wonder if they will do such a drastic change to their communication plan (yes I think they have one, just a really limited one).
  • Tremayne
    Options
    I don't think anybody wanted to screw even a single player. It's more likely they underestimated how many of us pointlessly mastered their cards. And, once again, that magic players  are a bit special.
    I have thought about this part or your comment.

Hanlon’s razor stares: “never attribute to malice, that which is adequately explained by stupidity.” E.g. I don’t think D3/Octagon intended to implement a bad solution, I think that they did not consider all the ramifications of their chosen solution.

Without knowing the database design, there must be database object(s) which contains every players pool of cards. And there must also be database object(s) that shows each players mastering of each card.

If you run that data together it should quickly yield an answer, so if we assume that Octagon  actually tested the effect of the chosen model by using the this data. The conclusion I arrive at is that they didn’t have a better solution that what they implemented.

now the big question will the hinted follow up prizes actually remedy the current unpopular setup?

@Brigby - care to comment on this?
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Tremayne said:
    I don't think anybody wanted to screw even a single player. It's more likely they underestimated how many of us pointlessly mastered their cards. And, once again, that magic players  are a bit special.

If you run that data together it should quickly yield an answer, so if we assume that Octagon  actually tested the effect of the chosen model by using the this data. The conclusion I arrive at is that they didn’t have a better solution that what they implemented.

Of course they had a better solution:  Just give everyone the rewards and levels they had earned

If they were super worried about players starting at level 200 or whatever just adjust the leveling numbers (for example, it looks like every level after 41 requires the same amount of xp to reach) and try to reach a balance like that. 

I can't think of a single reason why anyone would assume that players (especially Magic players) would not notice that the numbers they expected and the numbers they actually see don't match up (and since they provided absolutely no information I am forced to assume that they did not think we would notice)
  • Tremayne
    Options
    @Mburn7 - but there is a more worrying scenario - they winged it!

BTW - where does the claim that magic players are special come from? And how are they special?
  • ManiiNames
    ManiiNames Posts: 213 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Personally I think the goal was to give us something new to do.  If those who had mastered a zillion cards already were placed at L98 or whatever then they would have nothing left to strive for, and the goal of something new would be already eclipsed.

Main thing people seem to be **** about is rewards.  But really, for those w a big collection the packs are likely to yield nothing but orbs.
  • Brakkis
    Brakkis Posts: 777 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Personally I think the goal was to give us something new to do.  If those who had mastered a zillion cards already were placed at L98 or whatever then they would have nothing left to strive for, and the goal of something new would be already eclipsed.

Main thing people seem to be tinykitty about is rewards.  But really, for those w a big collection the packs are likely to yield nothing but orbs.

1. There is no level cap
    2. They are adding new ways to level up

So even if a player owned all 2353 cards and mastered them all, thus starting at what would be the current possible max level, they'd still have the new stuff to do just like everyone else.

Stupid implementation is stupid.
  • GrizzoMtGPQ
    GrizzoMtGPQ Posts: 776 Critical Contributor
    Options
    For veteran players the only prizes that matter are the mana jewels. Everything else is orbs and most of us veterans are still sitting on a dragon's hoard of those. Just giving everyone the prizes the ostensibly earned amounts to little more than a few hundred crystals (worth about $20-30 at most) and a pile of somewhat useless orbs. Maybe we would have also gotten a few hundred jewels. It's more about the prestige for most players. 
  • morgue427
    morgue427 Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
    Options
    still need runes myself since they keep adding pws but getting there slowly and still have over 1300 cards left to master plus 100 mythics to get somehow
  • Irishme
    Options

I’m not a “veteran” player.  When I started playing QB was long gone, crafting was already a thing, and I started way behind in terms of runes and orbs.  I’ve played catch up by playing every single event, grinding HE 30+ times a day, and spending quite a bit of money.  During this process I mastered cards because doing HE over and over is boring and it gave me something to do.  

Anyone who mastered a lot of cards before 3.2 like myself got screwed.  Wether it was intentional or not it still happened.  So to my thinking it’s either it was done on purpose and that’s that.  Or it was a mistake and they are working to correct it.  So far we’ve heard nothing either way.  

The former means the “veteran” players are being punished for playing to long, playing to much, and spending to much to give new players a better chance to play against them.  I for one will never spend another dime on this game if we got “balanced”.   What would be the point?  If trying to get ahead gets you penalized for getting ahead I’ll take that as they don’t want me to play so much or spend any money, this way new players can compete.   

If it’s the later why not just say so?  Coding problem, this or that set was left out, we’re working on it.