The elusive 5* Carol

Comments

• max5esq
    max5esq Posts: 58 Match Maker
    I am confused, why has her move list not been posted yet she drops on Thursday and we are past close of business Tuesday, I really want to know before the favorites vault disappeared, I got my Thor fully covered but held off on going for the rest of Kitty and Okoye in case CM was super awesome (and my odds of fully covering them with my remaining CP was not high, I have roughly 4K left after fully covering Thor). Maybe they are making some last minute changes, normally seems like we get them several days in advance of their release.
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    Oh look she's good... I'm shocked

(No I'm not)
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    Carol/Thor/okoye

But she shouldmake for a couple interesting teams going forward

• Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor

No she's not.
    She’s looks pretty terrible to me... Two repeaters and a countdown for powers? No immediate damage — let alone a nuke — available? At least her colors mesh well with C4rol’s, consolation prize I guess. 

ugh. That’s my read. 
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yepyep said:

No she's not.
    She’s looks pretty terrible to me... Two repeaters and a countdown for powers? No immediate damage — let alone a nuke — available? At least her colors mesh well with C4rol’s, consolation prize I guess. 

ugh. That’s my read. 
    Her green at 5 covers does instant damage and gives board shake for a cost of 10. Before you have 10 it has a 3 turn repeater that gives 3 green.
  • Ed_Dragonrider
    Ed_Dragonrider Posts: 591 Critical Contributor
    Yepyep said:

At least her colors mesh well with C4rol’s, consolation prize I guess. 

Would you be able to run two carols together though?
  • tiomono
    Yepyep said:

At least her colors mesh well with C4rol’s, consolation prize I guess. 

Would you be able to run two carols together though?
    Considering Jane foster thor and odinson thor cannot team up. Or totally awesome hulk with any banner hulk. I would guess no
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    tiomono said:
    Yepyep said:

No she's not.

ugh. That’s my read. 
    Her green at 5 covers does instant damage and gives board shake for a cost of 10. Before you have 10 it has a 3 turn repeater that gives 3 green.

And?  It's a 10ap power that does less than 10k base damage.  It can spike much higher with luck. But rng-heavy powers are pretty meh in mpq.

Her yellow is direct damage, but delayed by 2 turns. 

Her red is also a 2-turn repeater on top of a 3-match power.

She is quite slow compared to the current meta characters. And her power damage output is pretty low too.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    No, she’s pretty trash. Those who don’t see it definitely will in practice when they get her covered. 

To all the people who skipped Kitty for this “new meta” I’m sorry. 

To all the people who skipped the favorites vault over FOMO on this awesome Carol... I’m sorry as well. 

The hype for the next 5* (Endgame tie-in most likely) is already starting to ramp up on Line. “I’m sure he/she HAS to be good! I’ll hoard for them”. While I hope they’re right; this Carol experience should be the death blow for these types of expectations. 

They had a chance to knock it out of the park. The hype train was oh so real, and we got this sad excuse for a Captain Marvel.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,101 Chairperson of the Boards
    It was following a pattern:

2* Marvel good, 3* Marvel bad, 4* Marvel good so 5* Captain Slow Marvel was doomed.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    DAZ0273 said:

2* Marvel good, 3* Marvel bad, 4* Marvel good so 5* Captain Slow Marvel was doomed.
    Except that the release pattern was

3* --> 2* --> 4* --> 5*

(Fun fact, 2* Carol was the last 2* introduced to the game, shortly after anniversary 1 iirc, around the same time as 3* gamora and 4* elektra.)
  • tiomono
    Vhailorx said:
    tiomono said:
    Yepyep said:

No she's not.

ugh. That’s my read. 

And?  It's a 10ap power that does less than 10k base damage.  It can spike much higher with luck. But rng-heavy powers are pretty meh in mpq.

She is quite slow compared to the current meta characters. And her power damage output is pretty low too.
    I'm not sure what you mean with the "and". 

Someone said she has no direct damage power. I pointed out that she does. Nothing more nothing less.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,101 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx said:
    DAZ0273 said:

Except that the release pattern was

3* --> 2* --> 4* --> 5*

(Fun fact, 2* Carol was the last 2* introduced to the game, shortly after anniversary 1 iirc, around the same time as 3* gamora and 4* elektra.)
    That still forms a pattern...
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    tiomono said:
    Vhailorx said:
    tiomono said:
    Yepyep said:

No she's not.

ugh. That’s my read. 

Someone said she has no direct damage power. I pointed out that she does. Nothing more nothing less.
    The read of my original comment, and thus the premise of this argument, missed my point — what I said is that there is no immediate damage available. 
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    They had a chance to knock it out of the park. The hype train was oh so real, and we got this sad excuse for a Captain Marvel.
    Wasn't this the point of the thread? "Don't get your hopes up". Should have taken your own advice
  • tiomono
    Yepyep said:
    tiomono said:
    Vhailorx said:
    tiomono said:
    Yepyep said:

No she's not.

ugh. That’s my read. 

The read of my original comment, and thus the premise of this argument, missed my point — what I said is that there is no immediate damage available. 
    Then I misunderstood, sorry.

Follow up thought. Who has immediate damage that you are using the lack of it in a bad way? I can only think of gladiator hulk off hand.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    Straycat said:
    Wasn't this the point of the thread? "Don't get your hopes up". Should have taken your own advice
    Oh trust me, they delivered exactly what I thought they would (as evidenced throughout the thread). Just because they met my low expectations it doesn’t make the situation suck any less. It’s like the people who say “if I assume I’m going to fail, it’ll hurt less when I do because I mentally prepared”.... no, it still hurts. 
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    Straycat said:
    Oh trust me, they delivered exactly what I thought they would (as evidenced throughout the thread). Just because they met my low expectations it doesn’t make the situation suck any less. It’s like the people who say “if I assume I’m going to fail, it’ll hurt less when I do because I mentally prepared”.... no, it still hurts. 
    Demi new motto “if at first you don’t succeed failure might be your style!”