The elusive 5* Carol

Comments

• bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think it's ridiculous to pass judgment on a character's usefulness without knowing all of their powers and stats. Jumping to conclusions after seeing 1 second of video is absurd. Plus, anything could be changed before she's released next week. 

If I saw a short preview of 4*Carol's 5-turn CD tile, I could jump to the conclusion that any CD tile that takes 5 turns is slow and useless, but we all know now how deadly it is. 5*Marvel could have a passive or active that triggers or reduces the repeater. Heck, the whole power could be changed to something else too. 

I know everyone is excited to see this overly anticipated new 5*, but just wait a few more days for the announcement and stop assuming you already know how good or bad she is. 
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    bbigler said:
    I think it's ridiculous to pass judgment on a character's usefulness without knowing all of their powers and stats. Jumping to conclusions after seeing 1 second of video is absurd. Plus, anything could be changed before she's released next week. 

If I saw a short preview of 4*Carol's 5-turn CD tile, I could jump to the conclusion that any CD tile that takes 5 turns is slow and useless, but we all know now how deadly it is. 5*Marvel could have a passive or active that triggers or reduces the repeater. Heck, the whole power could be changed to something else too. 

I know everyone is excited to see this overly anticipated new 5*, but just wait a few more days for the announcement and stop assuming you already know how good or bad she is. 
    Well I agree and disagree. I agree that we don’t really know how good she’ll be until the final product. That was sort of the point I was making in the OP. There were people talking about how 5* Carol was going to be this meta beast worth saving up for, and I was pointing out that there is no evidence to support that. Basically I agree with your claim of we don’t know until we know. 

I don’t however believe it is “ridiculous” to speculate on and judge a character based on limited information. This is a forum created to discuss MPQ. We got some teaser footage and are talking about it. Of course all of our intitial assertions could be wrong (in fact I’m hoping I’m wrong and she’s actually good) and that’s okay. It’d be like saying a movie looks pretty bad based on the trailer and when it comes out, it’s actually really good. There’s nothing wrong with having an opinion based on limited info and adjusting your opinion as you get more. 

Finally, yes she’ll be out soon as of TODAY, but I made this thread before we even knew for sure we were getting a Captain Marvel over a month ago. 
  • bbigler
    Everyone can have an opinion on something, they just shouldn't act like it's a fact. I'm not blaming you @Daredevil217 for opening up the discussion, but this is all speculation. Perhaps it's amusing speculation but let's not take it seriously. I'll wait to form an opinion of the new Cap Marvel, but for now I'll hope that she's worth chasing.  
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Speculation and discussion based on limited information is fine as long as the posters are aware that:

1) they are purely guessing based on limited information
    2) they are self-hyping (5* Captain Marvel)
    3) the end-product they have in mind might not turn out to be reality.

5* Captain Marvel has been hyped up for a while not by the devs, but by the players. There will probably be lots of disappointment if CM doesn't live up to the hype.

Anyway, we should know by Monday or Tuesday. Sit tight and get ready to go higher, further, faster.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards
    What have we had one good 5* since Patch moved on? I'm starting to think that was a bit of a fluke.

Again though mid tier or easily skippable 5* every now and then isn't a issue for me. I'm not interested in champing them all or spending ISO on the lower tier ones unless they get a re-balance, so it eases the pressure to get enough pulls and I can either get that one cover through a BH or feeder. I can easily make T50 in a release event without the essential so it's no issue anymore.

I actually prefer this to worrying about pulling my resources and the next one being a beast.
  • gentgeen
    gentgeen Posts: 99 Match Maker
    @BlackBoltRocks IDK why I can't do a reply, but anyway... Thanks.  I forgot about Natasha Romanoff.  (I always forget she has a 5* version)  
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2019
    Speculation and discussion based on limited information is fine as long as the posters are aware that:

5* Captain Marvel has been hyped up for a while not by the devs, but by the players. There will probably be lots of disappointment if CM doesn't live up to the hype.

Anyway, we should know by Monday or Tuesday. Sit tight and get ready to go higher, further, faster.
    Deleted because I sounded like a jerk. Sorry @houndofshadow -- there was no call for me to jump on you like that.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,101 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yepyep said:

Hound, I like that you comment a lot but seriously, do you get how much you sound like you're like a ninth-grade teacher?* ALL kinds of: this is how you should think. The whole point of the thread, indeed the subject line, is an invitation to speculation.

We already know all of this that you said here... We're all chilling, waiting. Thanks, though.

*14-15 year-olds in the USA 
    Today's homework is to adjust your expectations and understand that whilst veteren players expect everything now, the Dev's have financial expectations of which players not aware and therefore there can be no easy path to Supports. Please illustrate your answer with something Brigby once said.

;)
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,733 Chairperson of the Boards

I want to point out how silly in a way the lack of hype is for this game.  Almost every new character is a closely hidden secret (except for people looking at social media and Line....so anyone who wants to know, really) until about 4 days before they appear in game.

Maybe we get a hint a week early.  Which is kind of a fun game but it’s just silly, kind of, that they don’t let people know earlier that favorite characters are on the way. 

New comics are teased months in advance. You at least know (generally) who’s in it to get your interest up.  The movies are teased way in advance as well.

Maybe the other mobile Marvel games do the same thing but it always feels odd that they aren’t trying to create more of a chain of interest by letting you know, say, that a mutant is coming in March or something.  There could be levels of more revealing info as you get closer to release. 

Just something that always seems a bit lacking in the promotion area. 
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf said:

I want to point out how silly in a way the lack of hype is for this game.  Almost every new character is a closely hidden secret (except for people looking at social media and Line....so anyone who wants to know, really) until about 4 days before they appear in game.

Maybe we get a hint a week early.  Which is kind of a fun game but it’s just silly, kind of, that they don’t let people know earlier that favorite characters are on the way. 

New comics are teased months in advance. You at least know (generally) who’s in it to get your interest up.  The movies are teased way in advance as well.

Maybe the other mobile Marvel games do the same thing but it always feels odd that they aren’t trying to create more of a chain of interest by letting you know, say, that a mutant is coming in March or something.  There could be levels of more revealing info as you get closer to release. 

Just something that always seems a bit lacking in the promotion area. 
    Well, even a successful mobile game is a small community.  Maybe a few hundred thousand players. So there is a ceiling on the value of marketing dollars spent (and most hype is paid marketing).  Plus, the dev team is pretty small (as compared to something like a marvel film), so it's much easier to keep things quiet.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    bbigler said:

Yea, thats why I made a guess at her powers but didn't speculate on the usefulness that much. Even with the video evidence we're probably wrong about her powerset. It's so rare to guess something correctly that it is mostly a waste of time to get that deep into it. Maybe that's why we are looking so hard at it, we correctly predicted there would be a 5* Carol and now we're pressing our luck.

• jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Two-part question:

Do you think 4* Carol will feed 5* Carol?

If yes, when do you think that will happen?

Will they do it and do it quickly to build enthusiasm and make her playable-ish more quickly?
  • Daredevil217
    edited February 2019
    jackstar0 said:
    Two-part question:

Will they do it and do it quickly to build enthusiasm and make her playable-ish more quickly?
    We won’t know until we know, but If im betting:

40% Fury
    25% Carol
    25% Talos
    10% Other

If I were betting on the feeder being released anytime soon...

90% No
    5% Yes*
    5% Other

*Really depends on who the feeder is. If it’s Talos then maybe. But these super whales have like 2 maxed out versions of Carol and would be half way to a champed Marvel out the gate. I can’t really imagine the developers removing the incentive for their biggest spenders to spend more chasing. I know it’s been done in the past, but I’m guessing the numbers did not support it being a good model and they scrapped it after the “trial”. 

As an aside, we should get the Marvel deets today, which is exciting!!
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2019
    jackstar0 said:
    Two-part question:

We won’t know until we know, but If im betting:

40% Fury
    25% Carol
    25% Talos
    10% Other

If I were betting on the feeder being released anytime soon...

90% No
    5% Yes*
    5% Other

*Really depends on who the feeder is. If it’s Talos then maybe. But these super whales have like 2 maxed out versions of Carol and would be half way to a champed Marvel out the gate. I can’t really imagine the developers removing the incentive for their biggest spenders to spend more chasing. I know it’s been done in the past, but I’m guessing the numbers did not support it being a good model and they scrapped it after the “trial”. 

My dupe Carol is 300+, and I'm not even a Beluga.
    True whales should have 4+ max champed Carols.
  • randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    You know, @Brigby could end all the drama and drop the overview thread now :smiley:
  • bbigler
    You know, @Brigby could end all the drama and drop the overview thread now :smiley:
    Just like the devs, Brigby has a "budget" and can't give away too much. If he told us now it would only include 2 of her 3 powers. They always want you to be hungry and wanting more.  Right @Brigby?
  • randomhero1090
    bbigler said:
    Just like the devs, Brigby has a "budget" and can't give away too much. If he told us now it would only include 2 of her 3 powers. They always want you to be hungry and wanting more.  Right @Brigby?
    I think I see what you are doing there :blush:
  • Daredevil217

Guess I was wrong. Fisk/Doom were both previewed the Monday before their release and Cable’s preview came even earlier on the Friday before. I assumed and was obviously wrong. Hope they’re making last minute changes to make her awesome!! 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    It should be out within 8 hours.  B)
  • randomhero1090
    I'm ready....  drop this.