FYI - When Kingpin enters (and Loki leaves) Latest Legends

GrimSkald
GrimSkald Posts: 2,488 Chairperson of the Boards

I figured I'd head this question off at the pass, we get at least one of these each go-around - also it looks to be slightly atypical.  In the past, they've stated that the new 5* enters the Latest Legends tokens on the data-push two weeks after their featured store closes.  Usually this is on Monday, but the "Big Bads" store is listed as closing at noon (EST) tomorrow (12/18.)  That means that Kingpin should enter the tokens Tuesday, 1/1/2019.  Hope you all aren't too hung over. :)

We usually see Data Pushes on weekdays even if it's a holiday, but it's possible they won't do one because of New Year's Day.  If that's the case, I imagine it will be January 2, 2019.

Comments

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,245 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2018
    Often, I notice the store will close Tuesday, but the update seems to still occur two weeks from the Monday after the store opens.

I definitely remember that being the case when Cable pushed out Wasp, anyway.

TLDR:  Don’t be surprised if it happens 12/31.
  • Ed_Dragonrider
    Ed_Dragonrider Posts: 578 Critical Contributor
    Sooo.... New Years, or there-abouts. Okay, got it. Thank you!
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,716 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2018
    Tried my luck with 30 pulls from Big Bads.  here's my results.

https://youtu.be/gakBykyD7mo
  • Pr0spect0r
    Pr0spect0r Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Been saving for this.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lucky me getting a black Loki with a bonus black Loki so I got him up to 250.
    Shame I threw away 350,000 ISO on a whim on Doctor Strange thinking he'd be able to help a lot with the Doctor Strange PvE (Spoiler alert, he doesn't. Hoo boy is he not as good as his 3* version).

I'll have to wait until tomorrow to have the 20k to champ him.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    Shame I threw away 350,000 ISO on a whim on Doctor Strange thinking he'd be able to help a lot with the Doctor Strange PvE (Spoiler alert, he doesn't. Hoo boy is he not as good as his 3* version).

5* Strange & 3* Strange are virtually the same. The only difference (asides from Purple) is you dont get burst healing...  which is not very important?
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2018
    sinnerjfl said:

5* Strange & 3* Strange are virtually the same. The only difference (asides from Purple) is you dont get burst healing...  which is not very important?
    I think he means 5* loki vs 3* loki.  He a bit trickerier to play and 5* loki is better when he hides behind a big tank, with board shake.  If you don't have the purple covers,  his nuke is crippled.  Sorta like running OML without any yellow covers.

of course 5* strange is better than 3* strange.  3x health, match damge, and stun bonus

• Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    I definately want to crack my hoard with Kitty and Cable, but neither Loki or Kingpin thrills me.
    So now I have 2 weeks to decide when to crack. My current inclination is to go through about 100 tokens before the rotation and then the rest after. This would maximize the 2 I'm interested in, but probably still keep the other 2 decently covered. It would also ensure I have a Kingpin once he's the required 5*.

Anyone have advice either way about Loki vs Kingpin?
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards

I realized this earlier too, thanks for taking the time to announce it.

Guess this means I may be able to bust the hoard while we do the traditional taunting of Sam Neill...

• sinnerjfl
    Kahmon said:

I have Loki champed, he is rather interesting to play but he's not a powerhouse. He's mostly all about that purple which is a really strong nuke that requires a bit of setup. Holding on to 14 purple, you can potentially do 27k dmg
    X 2. So that's really strong. There's also no real way to safely get rid of those CD's for your opponent unless they remove all the black tiles.

Green's too slow but it synergizes with his purple as you'd like it to hit a row with CD tiles so you get more of them. The damage is adequate.

Feign death is fine, Im actually surprised I'm able to match the trap often enough. It's just not reliable or very exciting.

Kingpin seems to be similar to Loki in terms of power. His powers revolves around AP manipulation, he does have a s stronger green repeater, that blue could be good if you find a way to generate specials you can sacrifice.

I don't think there's a clear winner between the two (for now anyway).

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    sinnerjfl said:
    Kahmon said:

I have Loki champed, he is rather interesting to play but he's not a powerhouse. He's mostly all about that purple which is a really strong nuke that requires a bit of setup. Holding on to 14 purple, you can potentially do 27k dmg
    X 2. So that's really strong. There's also no real way to safely get rid of those CD's for your opponent unless they remove all the black tiles.

Green's too slow but it synergizes with his purple as you'd like it to hit a row with CD tiles so you get more of them. The damage is adequate.

Feign death is fine, Im actually surprised I'm able to match the trap often enough. It's just not reliable or very exciting.

Kingpin seems to be similar to Loki in terms of power. His powers revolves around AP manipulation, he does have a s stronger green repeater, that blue could be good if you find a way to generate specials you can sacrifice.

I don't think there's a clear winner between the two (for now anyway).

I was wondering the same thing. With a 1/1/1 Loki I don't have any realistic chance of making any strides with him but the situation doesn't seem any worse if Kingpin replaces Loki in the mix.

Kitty is the pick of the bunch so I wan't as many covers as possible and I like Cable a lot and have him at a solid 3/3/2 at present.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,245 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2018
    Kahmon said:

Loki is tied for second among my 5’s at 459, and I barely use him.

Once I decided to fire his green (probably used it under 5 times ever) and the first time it triggered it destroyed its own row, and itself.

Another Loki limitation is that his CDs will only spawn on existing black tiles, obviously to avoid cascade potential but still a drawback if you match them away and have no blacks on the board.

I’d definitely lean towards Kingpin, he at least has a very small amount of synergy with Kitty.
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,716 Chairperson of the Boards
    I dont mind Loki.  Sure, hes not kitty, but ive been having fun with his green.  Probably because I have it at 5, which gives it protection.

Throw in vulture, and just pump out Destroyers.  Sure, they'll kill themselves here and there, but it's enough constant team damage that I've been going through wave rounds without a thought.

Sure theres better ways to go about things.  I'm just finding a way to have fun with the green.
  • GrimSkald
    bluewolf said:
    Often, I notice the store will close Tuesday, but the update seems to still occur two weeks from the Monday after the store opens.

Hmmm.  Doesn't the store usually close 24 hours after the event ends?  Usually that's Midnight (EST) Sunday night for boss events, but in this case it was noon Monday.  Of course, a different time zone can push that into the next day.  I haven't noticed the stores closing on Tuesday, but I'm in EST myself.  I'm not 100% sure though.

We'll know for sure in two weeks. :)

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2018
    sinnerjfl said:

I find the passive burst heal to be very important and it's major shame 5* doesn't have it.  He's not bad because of that but not as good as 3* IMO.

Differences:
    - Purple - Permanent tile (though I think a 5 match line clear or other line clears will destroy) for special removals. (upgrade)
    - Yellow - Has both a passive and an active, but no heal (downgrade)
    - Blue - The same.
    - Well and obviously increased health and damage, though it's a shame his HP is % wise about as low as the 3* when the 5* doesn't have the burst heal that makes that low HP make sense.... (downgrade)
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    GrimSkald said:
    bluewolf said:

Hmmm.  Doesn't the store usually close 24 hours after the event ends?  Usually that's Midnight (EST) Sunday night for boss events, but in this case it was noon Monday.  Of course, a different time zone can push that into the next day.  I haven't noticed the stores closing on Tuesday, but I'm in EST myself.  I'm not 100% sure though.

We'll know for sure in two weeks. :)

Store Closes at noon EST today, 24 hours after the event ended - Sinister 600 was a full four Days long and ended at noon EST while boss battles are typically Three and a half Days and end at midnight EST.
  • GrimSkald
    broll said:
    sinnerjfl said:

I find the passive burst heal to be very important and it's major shame 5* doesn't have it.  He's not bad because of that but not as good as 3* IMO.

Differences:
    - Purple - Permanent tile (though I think a 5 match line clear or other line clears will destroy) for special removals. (upgrade)
    - Yellow - Has both a passive and an active, but no heal (downgrade)
    - Blue - The same.
    - Well and obviously increased health and damage, though it's a shame his HP is % wise about as low as the 3* when the 5* doesn't have the burst heal that makes that low HP make sense.... (downgrade)
    While it's true that 5* Strange's active yellow is very, very expensive, yellow is an under-represented color (particularly in the 5* tier,) and as a result it's nice to have that outlet.  It also hits like a ton of bricks, which it should for the cost.  I use 5* Strange all the time in PVE.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phumade said:
    I think he means 5* loki vs 3* loki.  He a bit trickerier to play and 5* loki is better when he hides behind a big tank, with board shake.  If you don't have the purple covers,  his nuke is crippled.  Sorta like running OML without any yellow covers.

of course 5* strange is better than 3* strange.  3x health, match damge, and stun bonus

I think he is referring to 3* vs 5* Strange. And it's understandable: 5* Strange's Yellow doesn't start to outdamage a lv266 3* Strange's Yellow until you have enough covers, and raise the former to substantial levels.

Case in point:

lv266 3* Strange at 5 Yellow does 2114 passive damage.
    lv270 5* Strange at 5 Yellow does about 1500 passive damage.
    lv380 5* Strange at 4 Yellow does 2315 passive damage.

Looking at @Dragon_Nexus roster, his 5* Strange is 2/4/3 lv390. Which I expect is still outdamaged by a lv266 3* Strange.
    Yup, you got it completely.

Does his passive yellow hit harder at champ levels? Because he doesn't feel like a great minion buster for a 5* roster so far and looking at 5 yellows at level 390 doesn't inspire me with confidence.
  • sinnerjfl
    edited December 2018
    Phumade said:

I think he is referring to 3* vs 5* Strange. And it's understandable: 5* Strange's Yellow doesn't start to outdamage a lv266 3* Strange's Yellow until you have enough covers, and raise the former to substantial levels.

Case in point:

lv266 3* Strange at 5 Yellow does 2114 passive damage.
    lv270 5* Strange at 5 Yellow does about 1500 passive damage.
    lv380 5* Strange at 4 Yellow does 2315 passive damage.

Looking at @Dragon_Nexus roster, his 5* Strange is 2/4/3 lv390. Which I expect is still outdamaged by a lv266 3* Strange.
    Yup, you got it completely.

Does his passive yellow hit harder at champ levels? Because he doesn't feel like a great minion buster for a 5* roster so far and looking at 5 yellows at level 390 doesn't inspire me with confidence.
    Mine is stuck at 5/0/5 (best build ever) at level 405, doing 4022 on the passive, 11063 with the active.

There's a considerable jump from 4 to 5 covers on his yellow (2785 at 4 covers for me).

It's almost 6k when he's champed, considerably better.