Which "weak" character do you love?

124»

Comments

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2018
    Dormammu said:
    I think Storm (at every tier) gets undervalued because of how squishy she is.
    3* Storm isn't so bad. She's downright durable compared to Loki and Hood.

2* Storm is definitely squishy. The highest HP total she can possibly have (outside of Balance of Power) is 5376.
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 565 Critical Contributor
    3 star Rocket and Groot, the best walking heath pack in the game.  Run them on all those Thanos nodes in PVE and never waste a heath pack again.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm fond of Doc Ock's Insult to Injury ability....when I'm using it. 
    It's always fun to see 3*Grocket regrow to full health and destroy all TU tiles.
    I like invisible woman and Agent Venom and Hawkeye giving team invisibility.
    Sentry's World Rupture is always fun with strong strike tiles out.
    I wish Colossus's Fastball Special cost less than 13 Black, more like 9 Black would be fair, then people may use him to throw 5*s that don't have an active black power. 
  • randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    Not sure what we consider weak but....

4* - Valkyrie - I don't even see much here on her.  She has some seriously impressive powers, but, has to be in the right setup on the right team.  I think her black is one of the best powers in the game.  With the right team that black becomes an every-turn battery for your strongest.  It can be a little annoying making sure you have the right target, but it is worth it.

3* - Hood - Such a PITA and so great to steal/gen AP.  But you gotta shove him to the back.
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    bbigler said:
    Add Carol, and it gets crazy.
  • Ed_Dragonrider
    Ed_Dragonrider Posts: 591 Critical Contributor
    When I was entering 3*world and was looking for a good character/team to start BH-ing, I decided on Star Lord (to replace 2*thor as it were) and the more I used him, the more I loved him. To me he is the most versatile character on that tier and my absolute favourite. He is my problem solver, and go-to character when I'm having difficulty. Boosted or not.
    Later when I started coming to the forums to see what the experienced are saying, I found tier rankings and such and I was completely gobsmacked that star lord was in the bottom half of these list. Wth?
    By now, I have about everyone in 3* land, and have played most of them, at least when featured, and I still don't quite understand the lack of love, but whatever,  I'll continue to be crazy and use him whenever I can. Everyone else can go worship at the IM40 altar, but for me, he will always be my best. (So glad he is featured next :) )
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    When I was entering 3*world and was looking for a good character/team to start BH-ing, I decided on Star Lord (to replace 2*thor as it were) and the more I used him, the more I loved him. To me he is the most versatile character on that tier and my absolute favourite. He is my problem solver, and go-to character when I'm having difficulty. Boosted or not.
    Later when I started coming to the forums to see what the experienced are saying, I found tier rankings and such and I was completely gobsmacked that star lord was in the bottom half of these list. Wth?
    By now, I have about everyone in 3* land, and have played most of them, at least when featured, and I still don't quite understand the lack of love, but whatever,  I'll continue to be crazy and use him whenever I can. Everyone else can go worship at the IM40 altar, but for me, he will always be my best. (So glad he is featured next :) )
    I think it's because so many of the people here already had most of the 3* tier champed when he was introduced. Of course he's going to seem weak when people are comparing him as a new champ to their much higher level established champs, but it's hard to shake that kind of preconception. Also, when his purple goes into AP steal mode, the random way it resolves can make it kind of frustrating. Sort of like She-Hulk's green: When the AI uses it, it seems like it always hits the colour you need most, but when you use it, it drains something useless. Finally, as I understand it, his 5* version is genuinely weak, which probably led to some further bias, since they're fairly similar.
    I must say, even tho I don't use him often myself, he's pretty high on my priority list to drop quickly when he's on the other team. Team healing, tile/AP theft, team damage, and a couple of different varieties of board shake can make him a real pain to deal with if left to his own devices for too long.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,157 Chairperson of the Boards
    bbigler said:
    Carol/Sentry/Daken was a Combined Arms team I used.  World Rupture was nuts.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    bbigler said:
    I just tried that... 12 Green AP is such a slog. 
  • sambrookjm
    bbigler said:
    I just tried that... 12 Green AP is such a slog. 
    Oh, no doubt.  It wasn't the primary team I used, but that's the joy of events where you aren't forced to use your maximum leveled characters - you get to try out all sorts of weird combinations.

The team also eats health packs like crazy.  However, if you do get the 12 green AP, it *will* end the game when they goes off.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,101 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think it's because so many of the people here already had most of the 3* tier champed when he was introduced. Of course he's going to seem weak when people are comparing him as a new champ to their much higher level established champs, but it's hard to shake that kind of preconception. Also, when his purple goes into AP steal mode, the random way it resolves can make it kind of frustrating. Sort of like She-Hulk's green: When the AI uses it, it seems like it always hits the colour you need most, but when you use it, it drains something useless. Finally, as I understand it, his 5* version is genuinely weak, which probably led to some further bias, since they're fairly similar.
    I must say, even tho I don't use him often myself, he's pretty high on my priority list to drop quickly when he's on the other team. Team healing, tile/AP theft, team damage, and a couple of different varieties of board shake can make him a real pain to deal with if left to his own devices for too long.
    Star Lord also suffers from being the first of the "new" 3* who wasn't genuinely very good (if not excellent). Strange and Thanos were straight to the top tier and Hawkguy had cheap spammable powers. Star-Lord was harmed by levels of expectation I guess you would say as he has lots of things he can do but they are all sort of middle of the road.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor

I don't know if he's considered weak or not (I don't see a lot of talk of him here), but I thoroughly enjoy Moon Knight's Moonsilver Blades. Maybe I'm biased because he was my first 4-star on this roster. You don't get to pick your target, but whoever it hits won't be standing for long.

I'll also second (or third or whatever...) 3-star Bullseye. I like trying to manipulate the game to get him the kill and activate Contract Killer.

Yessir, same same. Which "weak" character do you love?
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards

I don't know if he's considered weak or not (I don't see a lot of talk of him here), but I thoroughly enjoy Moon Knight's Moonsilver Blades. Maybe I'm biased because he was my first 4-star on this roster. You don't get to pick your target, but whoever it hits won't be standing for long.

I love using Moon Knight. Especially when he's boosted. His purple can be kind of annoying when it, say, picks one of the tile-generating effects when going up against Eddie Brock, but his green pretty much just deletes someone every time, and it's usually possible to get true healing out of his black.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 said:
    Star Lord also suffers from being the first of the "new" 3* who wasn't genuinely very good (if not excellent). Strange and Thanos were straight to the top tier and Hawkguy had cheap spammable powers. Star-Lord was harmed by levels of expectation I guess you would say as he has lots of things he can do but they are all sort of middle of the road.
    Im a late arriver as it were, so i dont hold any biases or expectations, all characters were equally new to me. I didnt know he was added "late" to the game, and i can understand how the other versions might influence people as well. I myself dont have the 5* version, and the 4* has only 2 covers so far. I suppose i'll see what they are like, when i get there.

I get that he is a "middle of the road" character in what he does; he is not the best healer, or the best thief, he doesnt destroy 90% of the board or deal the biggest aoe damage, BUT, i also cant take 6 characters into battle with me. (And sometimes one of them has to be an essential deadweight.) It is that he does All of these things, all roled into one character, that makes him my favourite. He allows the biggest variety in tactics and strategy, and if suddenly 2 colours were to completely disappear from the board, im still not left dead in the water. With him i can adapt to a great many situations. This is why he stands out to me above all.

I also think people tend to forget some of his "extras", even though they can give so much.
    His yellow doesnt just heal + give charged green tiles. It gives charged green tiles made from the enemies strongest colour! Unless that is also green, it denies them their best ap... (i love using it against purple heavy teams).
    His green doesnt just deal aoe and destroy 3 random columns, it destroys 3 random columns while keeping all friendly tiles intact!! (This i think is why i initially chose him above all the others, including KK). The amount of times ive had to choose between dealing damage/board shake or holding off fire till the CD tile goes off, lest it gets destroyed.... :/

Anyway, im not trying to convert anyone about him, but for someone coming up through the ranks he is a valuable character to have, especially when you only have 2-3 or 4 strong characters but all the rest are still undercovered or underleveled or whatever. He is useful and adaptable to many situations, and i love him for that.
    So even if high level players dont take him for much and consider him weak or bottom of the list, i will continue to use him. This was what the op was about, and i just wanted to contribute some 3*Star Lord love. :)
    Hey, that is cool, I completely understand and in fact it is refreshing that newer players can define their own meta. Unfortunately for older players, Star Lord was always playing catch-up so had little opportunity to really stake a spot in a team when I had KK already champed, for example. As a 4* player, Cloak & Dagger is my go to utility character.

When I was finishing off the 3's they did a "character rebalance" on 3* Falcon which changed him from very average to pretty good, especially when combined with 4* Wasp who had also just been re-done and was one of my only champed 4*. That team wrecked for me in PvP and I rarely saw it elsewhere at the time, it still gets used now (like last week when Falc was boosted) even though neither character was a "meta" team, so there are always characters out there who will appeal beyond their perceived limitations.
  • DAZ0273

I love using Moon Knight. Especially when he's boosted. His purple can be kind of annoying when it, say, picks one of the tile-generating effects when going up against Eddie Brock, but his green pretty much just deletes someone every time, and it's usually possible to get true healing out of his black.
    I love Moon Knight. He was my bonus hero during vaulting and I champed him pretty much just from that. He can single handedly cause a lot of pain.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    DAZ0273 said:

When I was finishing off the 3's they did a "character rebalance" on 3* Falcon which changed him from very average to pretty good, especially when combined with 4* Wasp who had also just been re-done and was one of my only champed 4*. That team wrecked for me in PvP and I rarely saw it elsewhere at the time, it still gets used now (like last week when Falc was boosted) even though neither character was a "meta" team, so there are always characters out there who will appeal beyond their perceived limitations.
    I love this team. Falcon, being a 3*, is just not quite strong enough to play much in the 4* game, so I see him most often in Behemoth Burrito. But occasionally I'll use them just for fun if one or the other is boosted. If both are boosted, look out...  
  • sambrookjm
    Yepyep said:
    DAZ0273 said:

I love this team. Falcon, being a 3*, is just not quite strong enough to play much in the 4* game, so I see him most often in Behemoth Burrito. But occasionally I'll use them just for fun if one or the other is boosted. If both are boosted, look out...  
    One of the other teams I used in Combined Arms team was Wasp, Falcon and 2-star Wolverine.  It's Rainbow Team except for blue, but two of your characters want high blues for their passive anyway. Strikes and Protect tiles can come naturally from two of the three characters, and can get boosted to crazy levels between Wasp and Falcon.  It's a fun team.