Cable (Nathan Summers) (10/12/18)

Comments

• Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2018
    @Brigby Can you explain how his green works with and without Okoye boost. Also, does his blue CD make new tiles or just convert existing tiles? Please and than you.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2018
    Thanos said:
    @Brigby Can you explain how his green works with and without Okoye boost. Also, does his green make new tiles or just convert existing tiles? Please and than you.
    He means: does his Blue CD-tile convert non-green tiles to green charged tiles OR does it convert green tiles to charged ones when making a green match?  I would like to know this as well, but if it creates new green tiles, then that has the potential to go on endlessly as new green tiles can cause another green match, which adds more green tiles, which could also match, adding more green, which could match, etc.
  • IceyOne
    IceyOne Posts: 29 Just Dropped In
    Had enough Command points to roll for Cable 5 times. Managed to get 1 Green cover. I want more. His green is awesome.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2018
    Initial Cable Impressions Based on Written Stats:
    Blue: Above Average bordering on great.
    On paper I'm very impressed with this.  You can easily wait for a green match to be available before you fire this off to guarantee the benefits.   The only tricky point is that your opponent gets first stab at massive green AP gain which is very problematic in pvp especially with the popularity of Thor.  Still you could use this to stun your enemies green spender to help counter a potential drawback but that limits the potential usefulness of a stun skill.   The fact that this is a repeatable stun that can be applied to multiple characters over time makes it very impressive and worthy of the AP cost.  In PvE this probably shines most against goons since you can stun to buy time and fully abuse the green AP gain to then maximize its AoE-style damage.

Green: Above Average
    12AP for 21766 damage on its own is decent.  The potential overflow damage to enemies makes this pretty great and potentially elevates Cable as a viable character in PvP.  This will take some testing but it doesn't seem unrealistic to lower the featured character to 10% of their health give or take and save up for a massive AoE style plasma Barrage.

Yellow: Good.
    I'm a sucker for strike tiles and this skill provides a significant damage boost that should last for quite a while.  The fortify part of this is more of a gimmick and exists mainly for his blue skill but its welcome.  It's important to note that Cable and Green Goblin are capable of fortifying Repeater tiles.  While this isn't easy to abuse it could become important with time.  The most notable 5* repeater tile I can think of right now is Gambits black which is nice because Gambit+Cable has zero overlap in skills.

Overall: Awesome character.  Top Tier quality but its just a matter of if Cable can find a home in the meta.  Since there's no immediate obvious place it might be more appropriate to call him 'lower top tier' or 'upper middle tier'.
    All 3 skills are worth it at 5 covers.  Blue and Yellow 'active' skills are highly desirable in general which means fitting cable into a team should prove to be quite easy.  Stun is a great utility feature to have and his green has a real chance to shine.  

The only 'downside' if you can call it that is how to fit cable into the meta. Is Cable/Thor better than Thor/Okoye?  I seriously doubt it...though if you could set up an ideal Cable Green into Thanos passive for a double high damage AoE with relative consistency we might be on to something. Is Cable going to support some of the fastest competitive pve teams right now?  Again, I seriously doubt it.  Players who don't have the meta 5's champed will likely find a lot to love about Cable though.  He should help boost a variety of other 5's or just make a great 3rd for shield sim.

Good job on Cable.  I'm hyped :)
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,650 Chairperson of the Boards
    He looks good but that artwork is not doing it for me. It just looks like they carved him out of a rectangle but wanted to keep the rectangle.

I'm as put off by this as I am creepy bobby.

Good abilities though. I will be interested to see his animations.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not enough pouches.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster said:
    Not enough pouches.
    The Synergy Perk on his Support is just going to change the art by adding more pouches ;)
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    tiomono said:
    He looks good but that artwork is not doing it for me. It just looks like they carved him out of a rectangle but wanted to keep the rectangle.

I'm as put off by this as I am creepy bobby.

Good abilities though. I will be interested to see his animations.
    Agreed, the art on the character page feels wrong. He's way too stocky, there's a certain lack of overall detail and the lighting seems off. 
  • RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    So say your Okoye adds 1000 damage per TU, and you have 5 on hand. 
    You have the target enemy down to 6766 health, and Cable's green does 21766 damage total. 
    Does she force 5K damage onto his initial green hit to the target resulting in them taking just 1766 damage from Cable, and then 20K hits each other enemy? 
    If so, that's great. 
    If not, how else could she be adding any damage to the initial hit? 
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    RickOShay said:
    So say your Okoye adds 1000 damage per TU, and you have 5 on hand. 
    You have the target enemy down to 6766 health, and Cable's green does 21766 damage total. 
    Does she force 5K damage onto his initial green hit to the target resulting in them taking just 1766 damage from Cable, and then 20K hits each other enemy? 
    If so, that's great. 
    If not, how else could she be adding any damage to the initial hit? 
    She increases the damage of Plasma Barrage to 26766. The first target takes 6766, 20,000 is overkill. The rest of the team takes 20,000.

Brigby's point is that what does NOT happen is that the rest of the team does NOT take 20,000 + 5,000. Her damage increase only happens once, to the initial damage.
  • RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    edited October 2018
    Excellent, and that is a much better explanation than what I tried to do!

Cable's green will also be more useful than IWCap's red (or Ironheart's), when facing two remaining enemies, since the overkill damage will simply hit the last target. It costs a bit more so I guess it should be better.
  • MPQMastery
    MPQMastery Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    Can’t wait until I start getting these covers. No luck so far, but he looks like he’s a beast. 
  • fork1977
    fork1977 Posts: 94 Match Maker
    Cable Review:
    TL;DR - He's slow, and you need a lot of green on the board to maximize his powers. Mid-tier, but MUCH better than Wasp.

My biggest complaint with Cable is that his powers are a bit contradictory. You have to get 9 Blue AP, make a green match, end your turn and then leave a lot of green charged tiles for the enemy team. Because of the blue stun, this wouldn't be so bad if you only had one opponent, but his Green is designed to finish one player and then launch an AoE against the remaining opponents. So you either charge up green tiles early and risk the AI making a match before you can, or you save that play until you have only one enemy left and waste the AoE effect. Not a desirable choice.

The yellow passive is helpful, but again, it requires a match so your turn is over. To get the best use of Cable, you need: 1) 9 blue AP; 2) lots of green on the board that is not ready to be matched; 3) a yellow match ready to be made. Then, you have to hope you can make green matches to activate the stun, all while lowering one player's health enough for Cable's green to finish. That's a lot of things to have to go correctly, and in lots of PvP matches, I've only been able to make it happen once or twice before turn 9 or so. Cable-centric strategy leaves a lot out your control. He's a good support to Thor, but a pale third to JJ or Okoye
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 684 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2018
    Fixed this for you.

Plasma Barrage Air Hyper Viper Beam - 12 10 green AP
    Sends you airborne for 1 turn and deals massive damage. Any damage beyond the target's remaining health is dealt to the next enemy. (Passive) While airborne, this will be cast automatically as long as you have the AP for it.

• Xalthim
    Xalthim Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    MaxPowers said:
    Will he have a feeder and if so will it be Deadpool?

Please say yes
    Needs to have Teen Jean feeder as he's her boy!
  • Twomp_thaDJ
    Twomp_thaDJ Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Tony_Foot said:

I wish pvp was one five star only, it would breathe so much life into both the five and four star tier.
    I’m sure this would cause a riot... but you are right definitely would freshen up PvP and make it more enjoyable 
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,650 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tony_Foot said:

I wish pvp was one five star only, it would breathe so much life into both the five and four star tier.
    I’m sure this would cause a riot... but you are right definitely would freshen up PvP and make it more enjoyable 
    And there is the incentive to bring 4* events back more often. Let the 3* events be limited to one 5* and 4* events use two 5*.

I do not understand the logic behind thinking newer players do not enjoy the 4* events as much because they do not have the featured character. They would still be matched against other rosters with the same range of levels. 

Higher level rosters desperately want more 4* versus events. Amirite?
  • Brigadierbleu
    Brigadierbleu Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
    Any idea when he will enter latest legends pool?
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Any idea when he will enter latest legends pool?

Remember, remember, the fifth of November.