A funny thing happened on the way to D3 Go! Forums....

The rockett
The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
edited August 2018 in MPQ General Discussion

A funny thing happened on the way to D3 Go! Forums, I decided not to click on the Marvel Puzzle Quest links.  Instead I decided to check out the other forums here, Magic the Gathering Puzzle Quest and Adventure Time Puzzle Quest.  I ended up learning some things. 

With Adventure Time Puzzle Quest, there is no online customer support, so the game is just going on.  Nothing to see here, so I moved onto Magic the Gathering Puzzle Quest.

On the Magic the Gathering Puzzle Quest forums, I was surprised after reading this for about 30 minutes.  Now I have never played Magic the Gathering, I know a lot of my ally mates and friends in MPQ do play this, so I don't understand some of the things there are talking about but one things caught my eye.  Here is the link for it so you can see what I am talking about.

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/74610/august-q-a-session-question-submission-8-13-18#latest

Here it seems once a month they have a question and answer session with the Devs.  This is mind blowing and to be honest extremely frustrating to see this since this has been something we have asked for many times and for a long time.  It was to the point that @Colognoisseur started a thread asking a lot of questions and we actually got some responses.  This was a great brief time that we felt that we were being heard and got some direct answers quickly.  Everybody treated Will and others with respect and we all were grateful for this, but would like a bit more even if it is once a month.  Here are the threads I am talking about.

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/70968/q-a-with-demiurge-will-answers-from-demiurge-will-begin-on-p-2#latest

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/71795/april-q-a-with-demiurge-will#latest

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/72459/may-2018-q-a-with-demiurge-will#latest

Now these did die off quickly after 2 months, but the questions still remains, why can we not get this type of communication on MPQ if MTGPQ has it?  Are we not a big enough player base?  Does the team not have enough time to answer our questions?  I am just curious why the difference. 

Comments

• The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Does MtGPQ have Discord?
    Demi/D3 doesn’t have Discord, Puzzle Warrior 3 started that which is awesome.  Those guys are a huge assets to this game with their podcast and how they got the Devs to open up and be active their.  Just wish they would be that active here or make an official MPQ Discord Channel or have Line access.  
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    You have to understand that Magic is not developed by Demiurge,  different development house,  different transparency
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    I too would be very interested to here the reasoning behind this.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    The devs used to do monthly q&a when it first started. They even took videos of the q&a and posted it on YouTube. I remember that one of the dev mentioned that not many players watch the videos and they seem to prefer reading text.

The other thing is the dev did mention that the lawyers would be jumping on them if they leaked out anything earlier than usual, accidentally or not.  Many questions from the players are likely to be about what may or may not happen in the game in the future. So, I suppose they are a little careful about what they can say. 

On the other hand, I'm wondering if the lack of monthly q&a could be due to a change of leadership or control in Demiurge. I think they got bought over by Sega? a couple of years back.

• Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    My suggestion in another thread (I think the survey one), is that since a lot of info goes on Discord, that they should post a summary here weekly with important stuff that the devs posted on Discord.
  • barrok
    barrok Posts: 37 Just Dropped In
    How come you guys just don't join discord? It's quite easy.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    barrok said:
    I've tried to look at it, and I try to drop in every once in a while, but to me it's a jumbled mess.  Maybe it's my old age talking, but I have no idea how it's organized.  I mean I see categories on the left, but it just looks like I'd have to go through so much banter just to find one nugget of information.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    "Everybody treated Will and others with respect and we all were grateful for this,"

There was snark about one thing in the last month that Will was active. More in other threads, but it was about something he said.
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    barrok said:
    I am on discord, for several other, low frequency, groups.  Here is my problem with discord:

I come to the forum a couple times a day.  I can easily see what has been posted, by whom, as well as what the topic is about.  If i have a question, i can use the search function to see if it has been asked before and more importantly, if it has been answered.  If i go into a thread that i am interested in, i can see if the point i was  going to make has already been stated.  I can ignore people that i have hidden without being bogged down by their trolling.  

I have none of this on discord.  For reference, i just went over there.  50+ missed messages just from today.  I scroll up, and see Demi Anthony say "@(redacted) We are aware of the issue.  Thanks for the report."

I scroll and scroll and scroll, cannot find the person he is replying to.  So i search by their name, and see it is about a particular power not being boosted by Okoyo at 1015am.  Information i didnt really need, but had to look up to make sure.  To add salt in the wound, someone posted about it TWO days ago in the bugs forum.  
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I remember it's about Will answering a question about the process or criteria for buffing or nerfing characters. One part of his answer mentioned that they have a panel of expert players and the posters in this forum went bonkers. There were a lot of sarcastic remarks and they were demanding that the devs post their rosters or IGNs to prove that they are expert players. 

It's not uncommon to hear some of the posters here say that the devs don't know how to do their jobs or they don't know how to design game, and they need the vets to teach them. 

Again, the devs are already used to all these snide remarks and insults.
  • Spudgutter
    ZeiramMR said:
    "Everybody treated Will and others with respect and we all were grateful for this,"

There was snark about one thing in the last month that Will was active. More in other threads, but it was about something he said.
    Is discord somehow snark free?  Assuming that people vent their frustrations there as equally they do here, cant they just ignore it here as they do there?

And if it is magically all well and good over there, dont you agree it is probably not a good idea to be locked into an echo chamber of nothing but adulation?  
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2018
    barrok said:
    I am on discord, for several other, low frequency, groups.  Here is my problem with discord:

I come to the forum a couple times a day.  I can easily see what has been posted, by whom, as well as what the topic is about.  If i have a question, i can use the search function to see if it has been asked before and more importantly, if it has been answered.  If i go into a thread that i am interested in, i can see if the point i was  going to make has already been stated.  I can ignore people that i have hidden without being bogged down by their trolling.  

I have none of this on discord.  For reference, i just went over there.  50+ missed messages just from today.  I scroll up, and see Demi Anthony say "@(redacted) We are aware of the issue.  Thanks for the report."

I scroll and scroll and scroll, cannot find the person he is replying to.  So i search by their name, and see it is about a particular power not being boosted by Okoyo at 1015am.  Information i didnt really need, but had to look up to make sure.  To add salt in the wound, someone posted about it TWO days ago in the bugs forum.  
    I agree with most of this, except the claim that you can search here and not discord.  The search here is garbage and it's hard to find anything.  The one on discord is actually quite good.  For example if you want to see everything Anthony said just put 'from: anth' then pick whatever his goofy name is that day.  It will list everything he's said, the comments above and below it, and you can jump to full context if you wish. If you want to find the person he's replying to 'from: ' whatever that persons handle is (which is only helpful if he said it of course).

The problem isn't the search, the problem it can be hard to understand the context unless you're organically watching the chat.  It can be hard to put together the up to 4 or 5 steams of thought/conversation that may be overlapping at once.

Overall though I agree.  Between forums or discord I prefer forums for readability, especially when not actively watching live and 

Only reason I try to do anything with Discord is, ti's defiantly got the better access to information, especially direct answer to specific questions.  (Honorable mention: the forums news dumps are good and Discord doesn't have that).
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    MtGPQ's player base (at least the ones participating on the forums) are much less toxic and full of less vitriol than MPQ's forumites.

/Hate and Vitriol make the work go round

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    abmoraz said:
    MtGPQ's player base (at least the ones participating on the forums) are much less toxic and full of less vitriol than MPQ's forumites.

Will himself stated in one of his threads that being roasted is part of the job.
    They are not bother by "hate and vitriol"
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,651 Chairperson of the Boards
    ZeiramMR said:

So we just need to fill discord with snark so they come to the "official" forums?

I refuse to believe there is zero snark on discord. This forum is where the game itself links us to for more information. There should not be more dev interaction on a 3rd party, fan run program or chat than on the official forums.
  • Spudgutter
    edited August 2018
    abmoraz said:

That is a horrible excuse not to engage with your customers, first of all.

Secondly, I've seen those threads.  They rarely turn "toxic," at worst it is one or two characters, who get flagged by the rest of us who wont put up with their nonsense.  To shy away from talking to your customers just because of a few bad apples is, again, a horrible excuse

Thirdly:
    Bowgentle said:

Will himself stated in one of his threads that being roasted is part of the job.
    They are not bother by "hate and vitriol"

• LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    Can someone maybe provide link(s) to how to get on discord so we can all join in to where the information is being more freely shared by the representatives of the company via non-official channels?
  • Spudgutter
    edited August 2018
    broll said:
    barrok said:

I agree with most of this, except the claim that you can search here and not discord.  The search here is garbage and it's hard to find anything.  The one on discord is actually quite good.  For example if you want to see everything Anthony said just put 'from: anth' then pick whatever his goofy name is that day.  It will list everything he's said, the comments above and below it, and you can jump to full context if you wish. If you want to find the person he's replying to 'from: ' whatever that persons handle is (which is only helpful if he said it of course).

The problem isn't the search, the problem it can be hard to understand the context unless you're organically watching the chat.  It can be hard to put together the up to 4 or 5 steams of thought/conversation that may be overlapping at once.

Overall though I agree.  Between forums or discord I prefer forums for readability, especially when not actively watching live and 

Only reason I try to do anything with Discord is, ti's defiantly got the better access to information, especially direct answer to specific questions.  (Honorable mention: the forums news dumps are good and Discord doesn't have that).
    I've never had to use the search function, so i will claim ignorance on that one.  It was less about the usefulness of the search function, and more about the existence.  

Take my point above.  Had the person on discord, instead of posting the question there, gone to the bugs section here, they would have seen their exact question about 4 posts down.  

If i am curious about who is boosted next week, i go to the thread about it.  If someone was curious about the server outage in UK time, they could go to that thread and see someone else asked and it was answered (another real life example).  Last night, someone asked for clarification about something for nebula, and it was answered by another user within 50 minutes, with the information from discord.  I questioned this and got a response from brigby 2 hours later. For those keeping score at home, a question was asked an answered in less then 45 minutes on discord, but took 3 hours to get to on the "official forum."

The list goes on and on.  We (the fans) shouldnt have to curate and share pertinent information from an outside source onto the official forum.