August Q&A Session - Question Submission (8/13/18)

Options
Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
Hi Everyone,

We apologize for not having the July Q&A Session posted yet. With Gen Con having taken up the end of July, and the beginning of August, I'm afraid we've been unable to find time to compile the finalized Q&A session together with the team. 

Since a good portion of the July questions are technically still applicable, we have decided to combine the July questions with the ones from August. 

In order to make it easy to collate and compile all questions, we would like to kindly ask all players limit themselves to only one comment with just their top 3 questions they'd like to submit. (Brief explanations are fine, but please no novels) We will then compile a list of the top 10 questions asked by the community, and Oktagon will answer as many of them as they are able to.

We will be closing the submission thread this Friday 8/13 at 10am PT / 1pm ET / 6pm UTC. We will then compile the questions, and send it over to Oktagon for review and answering. Once they have done that, we will format it and prepare it for posting in the forum.

Thanks for your patience and understanding!

Comments

• ninjark
    ninjark Posts: 50 Match Maker
    Options
    Which set will rotate out of Standard (if any) when Guilds of Ravnica is released?

Can we have a "Season" all-time standings for coalitions?  This way coalitions can see how they rank for each set release, or if not, maybe the last X number of months?  (This would also work as an active coalition listing of total scores).

Is there any way to give us more time at the end of events to complete a final refresh?  6 hours (or less) is not too player friendly across the world.  
  • Brakkis
    Brakkis Posts: 777 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Are you going stop ignoring the Story mode side of the game?
  • Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
    Options
    1) The bugs seem to be multiplying faster than you can squash them. Do you have a plan in place to try to get caught up on that front? You performed admirably in catching your release schedule up to the paper schedule. I have to assume you could do as well on this front, and I hope that you would. The bugs are just getting quite out of hand.

2) I've asked this before, but what are the chances we could get an option to choose which boosters we can win in any given event? I have literally every card through the mythic tier from the HOU set, and they're no longer in the Standard rotation, so I have absolutely no use for the boosters we're about to get from RotGP this weekend. It would be nice if I could choose to chase the cards I'm missing from DOM, M19, or the Ixalan sets.

3) Keeping with the theme of choice, have you considered giving us the option to choose which version of Training Grounds we enter? I think last week or the week before, there was a Legacy TG on the day when a Standard event began. That's poor planning, because it doesn't allow people to test their Standard decks in a Standard environment, in preparation for that event.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2018
    Options
    1. Can we have some deck ideas for Reliquary Tower?

2. With Karn being released at the beginning of M19 and 6 new PW with the set, players find themselves needing to grind for nearly 1 Million runes to level them all. Many players still don't have Bolas 1 maxed -- what is the plan for runes???

3. I'm wondering if you can reply to my request for a purge of inactive coalitions. This is a huge engagement issue and it should be a priority to ensure great players can find great teams! Please see the thread here. 

[edit] NOTE: Would like to echo @Matthew's question about relevant prizes above. 
  • Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
    Options
    bken1234 said:

4. What are the plans going forward to ensure we are getting relevant prizes? Hourly boosters, monthly packs and events are giving legacy cards. Imagine starting this game and getting a lot of stuff that is of absolutely no use?
    Even though this one completely ignores Brigby's rule about limiting our questions to 3 per post, I have to give at least this question a +1. Heck, I basically said the same thing in my own post right above yours. It's pretty frustrating to be getting rewards that are of almost no use, aside from the orbs they will provide.
  • ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    Options
    1. Can we have a sandbox environment? I would like to be able to test against my coalition mates decks, test cards that I think are bugged, and also face off against some 2,000 HP monster.

2. When will development for Ravnica begin, how early do you guys get to see the set in paper? 

3. Have you ever considered open beta testing?
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Matthew said:
    bken1234 said:

4. What are the plans going forward to ensure we are getting relevant prizes? Hourly boosters, monthly packs and events are giving legacy cards. Imagine starting this game and getting a lot of stuff that is of absolutely no use?
    Even though this one completely ignores Brigby's rule about limiting our questions to 3 per post, I have to give at least this question a +1. Heck, I basically said the same thing in my own post right above yours. It's pretty frustrating to be getting rewards that are of almost no use, aside from the orbs they will provide.
    If figured if all of us ask it, maybe it will get answered. 
  • Rhasget
    Rhasget Posts: 412 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    The time from a big game affecting bug is reported in the forums (and by many through tickets) have been a month atleast and updates always bring more follow up bugs which take another month to resolve.
    Is it possible to apply more quickfixes in small updates to remove the worst ones faster?

Besides the bugs, the lack of communication, be it new content or no updates of event schedule or such is the biggest gripe.
    How would you improve this in the future?

The flow of releases have been pretty high and with alot of new planeswalkers due to come there will be even more. But there are barely any events to use the new stuf. And with a decent amount of legacy events thats not being used there are wasted resources.
    What is the reason behind not incentivising more purchases by having more events to use it in?
  • Chocostove
    Chocostove Posts: 19 Just Dropped In
    Options
    1: Can we get a standardized vocabulary/grammar for card actions? Between the bugs and the inconsistencies, its been real hard to deck build. I think everyone would be more than patient enough to wait for the next expansion in favor of a more stable game. 

2:Give coalition leaders the ability to see when a player is last active.

3:Please expand story mode for each expansion. Nothing sprawling, just enough to flesh out the game for newer players who could use a few more crystals to catch up with the all of the Planeswalkers there are to purchase. It would also benefit older players who need more runes 
  • UweTellkampf
    UweTellkampf Posts: 376 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    1. Do you plan to introduce an event similar to Across Ixalan to reflect the arrival of two new sets? Most of us had been playing AI for quite a long time now and would like to get hold of boosters from new sets now. The format as it is, is boring as heck, since there is no really challenge to it, but at least the awards are fine. They should be accustomed to m19 and DOM though.

2. The release of M19 brought only one new event and TG standard. As you can tell through the forums, many would like to have more to do in the game. Do you plan to install another event for M19 set? Or at least re-release one of the classic ones, like Planeswalker Arena, which has strong support in the community? An idea could be to use the new PWs, which didn't have a chance to shine yet, as set PWs. 

3. Can we get a coalition bound league? An event in which for two or three days you battle your own coalition mates for fun and some runes? 
  • Wafflesauce
    Wafflesauce Posts: 49 Just Dropped In
    Options

1) Consideration for non-standard time players for competitive events:

Will you consider extending the amount of time from the last refresh of an event to when the event ends? Currently, if you make sure that your nodes never get full, you have 6 hours to finish all new charges. If any of them got filled, it’s even less. We are in a 24/7 global society. People sleep in 8 hour blocks. This does not work for many people, especially when there are 5 nodes to play.

I’ve personally considered to stop playing competitively as I am personally affected by this - I started a night shift job 2 months ago, and the nodes have been refreshing right when I usually go to sleep. This leaves me with a choice: Do I sacrifice 1-2 hours of sleep, likely causing me to have a bad day, or do I give up playing competitively in my favorite game?

2) Standard Rotation:

Will any sets rotate out of Standard when Guilds of Ravnica is released? A recent and active poll showed that most of us were alright with the speed of rotations so far, but would like much more notice than 2 weeks that we’ve been getting.

3) Standard training grounds:

Will you please consider making it so that Standard Training Grounds are available at all times?

It is the only format that I’ve experienced in a long time where I wanted to play just to play, and not for the rewards. It's one of the few places that you can truly test out anything and have a diverse and interesting experience, without the pressures and achievements of events. Legacy gives two experiences: Overpowered nonsense, or Intricate plays that the AI can’t reproduce - so either way it is often one-sided.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Standard is where people spend their money. They get the itch to improve their decks and see new cards. It’s the reason why people buy bundles. Higher engagement of the player base = higher sales for you. 
  • HJ16
    HJ16 Posts: 26 Just Dropped In
    Options
    1 paper magic is very clear and specific in it's text on the cards. MTGPQ isn't. It's very unclear sometimes! Cast or summon? Can you make sure every time summons means the same. Or create? Or cast? For example.

2 can you communicate more? A q&a "each" month is a bit sparse imo. I understand you can't give timetables or release dates etc, but just we're working on this, the design process of card x or keyword y, etc...

3 large bugs need to be addressed sooner. I'm not sure which event it was a couple weeks back, started on Friday. Spinning circles etc, couldn't start a game. Across the player base, not just me. And it took almost an entire day to get acknowledged and looked at.
  • Houdin
    Houdin Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I will only ask one question simply because I do feel it is now causing a huge problem with game enjoyment.

We need a viable way to obtain huge amounts of runes again like we had with quick battle.

It is now becoming ridiculous!

I spend quite a bit of money on this game to buy new cards and even for me the rune deficit for my planeswalkers is enormous. I can't even imagine what it is like for other players who aren't able to do this. I play almost every event, every day and still I've had planeswalkers sitting at level 1 for mo ths.

• IM_CARLOS
    IM_CARLOS Posts: 640 Critical Contributor
    edited August 2018
    Options
    1) Are there any plans to make MP craftable.

2) Is it possible to give access to all Set in the Vault at the same time? Maybe first choose Pack-Size and then Edition? Maybe is it possible to change the rewards the same way. Reward is a booster and the player can choose the set. 

If you are really into money it is possible make it: Legacy/Standard/Last Set -> Pack-Size -> Edition (if not last set).

3) Are there any plans beyond platinum level? I am now 2700+ in every color. 
  • boopers
    boopers Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    Options
    1) What is the plan for standard rotation when the next set is released?

2) Are there any plans to update the coalition "standings" interface so that each coalition score will reset for each new set, and will we ever be able to see more than the top 10 teams in the standings?

3) Will there be any adjustment to event end times?  Right now, the most time we get to play our last match is 6 hours, and even less for events like RotGP (which could be less than an hour because of boss health),  Need to be fair to all time zones to ensure everyone can play their last refresh.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    1)  How do you plan on keeping language consistent (and correct) on cards and event objectives?  I know there may be legal issues but if you can outsource proofreading to some of the players here you could solve a lot of those problems pretty easily (Note:  I am not asking for design rights.  Just some mild proofreading a week or 2 before release)

2)  How will you be fixing the (many) buggy cards and interactions in the game?  And how will you avoid creating more with each set going forward?  

3)  Will there be more story mode or more new events?  We used to get both a new PvP and PVE with each set, but now it has been only one or the other.  That's not helping our need for new content very much.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    1) Are you going to make legacy events for specific sets?  There's a lot of good cards from previous sets that are unusable because they still pale in comparison to the best cards in legacy.

2) Are you abandoning story mode?

3) What everyone else said about the bugs, there are a lot of good cards that aren't usable or brokenly good because of glitches at the moment.
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    1. What is the future for color master/ tiers?
    2. Can we get some more stuff to do in game? (ie, more events, weekly monthly lifetime goals, reasons to master cards, etc)
    3. Can we toggle between legacy/standard in TG?
  • joerginger
    joerginger Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
    Options
    1. Can you please change the way coalition events are run? There should never be a 5-node event, particularly not when the event is run over 70 hours and ends on Monday at the beginning of the working week - at least for players in Europe and the Americas. And in addition to this, could you please stop giving new charges on the third day of the event so we have more time to clear the last charges. So while an event might last 70 hours, only the first 46 should give charges. As an alternative approach: Could you give us all the charges right at the beginning of the event? This would make it easier to plan when we can clear them.

2. Could you please create the possibilty to set the language from within the game? Playing in any other language than English makes talking about cards in an international coalition rather difficult, so I along with several other fellow coalition members from non-English speaking countries would like to have the choice to set the game to English without having to change the language of the device we're using.

3. When will the many existing bugs begin to be fixed? And how will you make sure that the next set won't introduce yet more new bugs?
This discussion has been closed.