Scheduled Downtime on Wednesday, 7/25

1235»

Comments

• Asmodaeus
    Asmodaeus Posts: 100 Tile Toppler
    Isn't It gonna mess with a lot of slices due to the different start/end times across different time zones? And really ppl it's one day and one event, it's not gonna kill you to not be top dawg just this once. IMO, let's just take a deep breath and roll with it...
  • RPIJG
    RPIJG Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
    Asmodaeus said:
    Isn't It gonna mess with a lot of slices due to the different start/end times across different time zones? And really ppl it's one day and one event, it's not gonna kill you to not be top dawg just this once. IMO, let's just take a deep breath and roll with it...
    Not really, if you pick a certain slice the most critical times are right before and after the flip.  If the shutdown happens say mid-way through a slice, it doesn't really make a difference since most of the action takes place in the 30minutes to an hour after a round starts and 30minutes to an hour before a round is set to end.  That's just good gameplay strategy.  If that shutdown happens like 8 hours after the round begins, not many are playing then anyway, and those that are, certainly aren't in the running for being competitive.  It's an easy enough logistical task to make sure you don't shut down servers in those time frames, or if you must (which, ok fine if it has to happen) you announce the shutdown well in advance so that people can choose a different slice (or better yet, just make that slice unavailable for the event).
  • elvy75
    elvy75 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    edited July 2018
    Well, so bad for all of s2 who cleared early. In my opinion the time to schedule outage should be one of those:
    8.30-10.30 est or
    13.30-15.30 est

Both of them are within working hours on east coast and none would interrupt anything  at all. I hope devs take this into consideration next time they plan for something like this. 
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,221 Chairperson of the Boards
    The key takeaways should be:

1) Give notice a few days before an event starts.  That way ppl can plan accordingly and it's up to them if they want to play around the outage or go to a different slice.  
    2) Notice should be given in game.  Also, like today, if there's a delay, that should be announced in game too.
    3) Pick a timeframe and stay closed that whole time (eg 10-12 in this case).  Even if the maintenance is finished in 5 mins, just shut down for the whole two hours so that ppl know when the game will be live.  Again, this let's ppl plan in advance in how they want to play.

• robertbah
    robertbah Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    I guess that it's the double negative mistakes again.

"During this downtime, Marvel Puzzle Quest will won't be inaccessible."

I guess that we all read it wrong.
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    FinnyMPQ said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    Bowgentle said:
    I smell mass compensation coming.

I also smell a lot of other things, but mass compensation definitely is one of them.
    First there will be Mass Hysteria. And also cats and dogs living together.
    A disaster of Biblical proportions.
    Tell em about the twinkie
    Everything was fine with our system until tinykittyless here turned off the servers.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hey everyone,

Update on the downtime: We discovered a potential issue and have decided to postpone the scheduled maintenance. We'll update everyone when that will be.

Thanks!

Is that potential as in the potential for a rank 5 Chewie from a single Carol's Arsenal token, or as in the potential for a 2* cover from the same vault?

Bowgentle said:
    The notice for scheduled downtime has appear in the game. I believe they've already planned to announce it in-game as well but... 

I think this is not their first scheduled downtime?
    It is the first scheduled downtime since the game started.

In the interests of fairness, we mustn't forget that we did have fairly frequent unscheduled downtime in the first year or so.  They got a lot better.