Scheduled Downtime on Wednesday, 7/25

Comments

• GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,581 Chairperson of the Boards

So, uh, the time has come... and the game is still running.

Speaking for myself, I do think the game being down as little as possible is the best thing.  A full two hours kind of hoses a lot of people, and if it doesn't have to be...

• Screen Monkey
    Screen Monkey Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Shouldn't the servers be down now?
  • starlord1982
    starlord1982 Posts: 19 Just Dropped In
    It's still not down. Did they decide to wait?
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    Thanos said:
    @Brigby why do they need more capacity? Is the game really doing that well or is there some big new feature coming soon? If there is a new feature coming i doubt it'll top supports....*snicker*
    With the great Gambit Nerfing on the way, they need to add a ton more RAM to the servers.  Instead of loading Gambit into RAM once and referencing that object for every team (thereby saving memory), they're going to have to load in the rest of the character models as well as people panic and start using other characters, and that takes resources...
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Can't you at least START on time?
  • Talus9952
    Talus9952 Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    Lol, not only do they screw s2 pve players by announcing it on forums, then announcing it in game with very little notice in game.  They do it late, so people who did pay heed to the notice and grinded pve early, are being screwed because downtime is not starting when they said it would.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    anyword on dischord yet?  are we gonna get notice here or dischord first?

• Screen Monkey
    Timed grind perfectly, now losing placing because of d3 tardiness...thanks
  • Bulls
    Bulls Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    S5 pvp - finished some fights with 1min till SCHEDULED downtime (near 1k points) and Ive decided to not shield (because noome will be plaing, right?). 20min+ since that servers are still up, Im down by 300+ points. I would rather they not schedule anything - then I would just shield myself properly...
  • abmoraz
    If it had been announced at the beginning of the day, before people joined S2, instead of the end of the day it would be a non-issue.

I'm struggling to understand why we couldn't have been warned prior to the impacted event.  Server maintenance is not something you dream up at lunch time and then throw on the schedule for 48 hours later.  Planning for this must have started weeks ago.
    Unless:
    • the parts just came in
    • they originally scheduled it for this weekend then realized "oh, there's a much more important Boss event then.  Let's move it back to Wednesday."
    • The servers are in Bangalore (where it is 8am at the start of the outage)
    • They hate the tinykittyholes who do their best to make this relaxing game uber-competative and thought "what time could we do our upgrades to screw them over the most?"
    • It could've been "Which 2hr period has the least participation?" and it turned out that the S2 "top alliances" slice had driven the rest of the player-base to other slices, creating a self-defeating scenario.
    • Maybe they looked at 10a-noon vs 1p-3p and said "Off-season S6 of PvP is more important to us than the try-hards in Simulator S2, since the PvP is a Marvel dictated event for the 50th anniversary of Capt. Marvel"
    • Or maybe they didn't want to interrupt their own lunch break at noon and knew that if they scheduled it at 1pm, they'd never get the upgrades done in time due to the 'Revenge of Taco Bell' which they ate an hour earlier
    But most likely it's because they run a business and do it when it's most convenient for them and/or their provider and/or their contractors and that they don't really give a rat's-behind about the utterly small percentage of players being slightly inconvenienced for up to 2hrs because they've proven over and over that no matter what D3 does, the players still play and they'll still buy.
  • Bowgentle
    There was a 15% chance that things would happen as announced.
    Sorry, RNG was not on your side.
  • abmoraz
    Talus9952 said:
    If you really wanted to let players know of the downtime, this message would be in game, and not on the forums.  How much do you want to bet how many players will be coming to the forums to ask if the game is down because there was no message in game about scheduled downtime?
    um... it was in game.  I got it last night.
  • Demiurge_Anthony
    Demiurge_Anthony Posts: 156 Tile Toppler
    Hey everyone,

Update on the downtime: We discovered a potential issue and have decided to postpone the scheduled maintenance. We'll update everyone when that will be.

Thanks!
  • Screen Monkey
    Bowgentle said:
    There was a 15% chance that things would happen as announced.
    Sorry, RNG was not on your side.
    Lol
  • Screen Monkey
    Hey everyone,

Update on the downtime: We discovered a potential issue and have decided to postpone the scheduled maintenance. We'll update everyone when that will be.

Thanks!
    Compensation?
  • abmoraz
    Hey everyone,

Thanks!
    This is the best entertainment I've had in ages.  Normally I try to not get my entertainment from the pain of others, but watching all the whinging in this thread over a FtP game has brought a smile to my otherwise deary life.  This announcement actually cause an audible chuckle :)

• huktonfonix
    huktonfonix Posts: 214 Tile Toppler
    Hey everyone,

Thanks!
    The worst of both worlds!  When was this decision made, relative to when it was actually communicated to us?  This is an impressive level of incompetence.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Maybe they're already done?

Probably not
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,102 Chairperson of the Boards
    Oh dear...
  • Bowgentle
    edited July 2018
    I smell mass compensation coming.

I also smell a lot of other things, but mass compensation definitely is one of them.