Scheduled Downtime on Wednesday, 7/25

Comments

• Talus9952
    Talus9952 Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    If you really wanted to let players know of the downtime, this message would be in game, and not on the forums.  How much do you want to bet how many players will be coming to the forums to ask if the game is down because there was no message in game about scheduled downtime?
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    @Brigby any updates on this? 
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 984 Critical Contributor
    Talus9952 said:
    If you really wanted to let players know of the downtime, this message would be in game, and not on the forums.  How much do you want to bet how many players will be coming to the forums to ask if the game is down because there was no message in game about scheduled downtime?
    Agreed!
    The scheduled shutdown isn't during a window I personally play, but I would want the warning available to ALL (as soon as it was known), not just on the forums.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    The notice for scheduled downtime has appear in the game. I believe they've already planned to announce it in-game as well but... 

I think this is not their first scheduled downtime?
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    The notice for scheduled downtime has appear in the game. I believe they've already planned to announce it in-game as well but... 

I think this is not their first scheduled downtime?
    It is the first scheduled downtime since the game started.
  • HoundofShadow
    edited July 2018
    I think they had one in 2014 or 2015. They called it server maintenance or something else. The game went offline as well.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think they had one in 2014 or 2015. They called it server maintenance or something else. The game went offline as well.
    Actually we called it Ultron run 1.  First boss event
  • The_A_Train
    The_A_Train Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    Hope you're just adding RAM and not something foolish like adding disks to a Dell server. 
  • Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    So we still don't have a confirmation if the game is going to be locked down for the full 2 hours or it might be back up again ahead of predicted schedule?
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bzhai said:
    So we still don't have a confirmation if the game is going to be locked down for the full 2 hours or it might be back up again ahead of predicted schedule?
    I'm not sure what exactly you're asking for here.

Yes, it could be down for the full 2 hours, or it might be back up again faster than that.
  • Bowgentle
    JHawkInc said:
    Bzhai said:

Yes, it could be down for the full 2 hours, or it might be back up again faster than that.
    It's kinda import for s2 PVE.
    If it's done with 35 minutes to go before sub end you can end grind at the normal time.
    If not, you're screwed.
    So without official confirmation you're gambling, basically.

Which is why this never should have been announced on such short notice.
  • The rockett
    I thought you only played for 1 year or so?  How would you know about what happened in 2014/2015.  

There were many times that the game was blacked out.  They blamed the hamsters running the servers died.  
  • JHawkInc
    Bowgentle said:
    JHawkInc said:
    Bzhai said:

If it's done with 35 minutes to go before sub end you can end grind at the normal time.
    If not, you're screwed.

Are you suggesting they should be predicting the future?

I get that it's bad for S2, for players and alliances alike, and they should never have scheduled it when they did, and that we'd be better off if they would have just committed to being down for the full 2 hours regardless if they'd gotten done early or not.

But the only way they'll be able to tell you, right now, that it'll be done with 35 minutes to go is if they were able to time travel or peer into the future and find out the results of the downtime before it's actually happened.

Because that's what it sounds like you're asking for, official confirmation of the end results of something variable that hasn't happened yet.
  • Bowgentle
    JHawkInc said:
    Bowgentle said:
    JHawkInc said:
    Bzhai said:

If not, you're screwed.

I get that it's bad for S2, for players and alliances alike, and they should never have scheduled it when they did, and that we'd be better off if they would have just committed to being down for the full 2 hours regardless if they'd gotten done early or not.

But the only way they'll be able to tell you, right now, that it'll be done with 35 minutes to go is if they were able to time travel or peer into the future and find out the results of the downtime before it's actually happened.

Because that's what it sounds like you're asking for, official confirmation of the end results of something variable that hasn't happened yet.

No, I'm asking that they tell us a week in advance AND set it for an exact time.
    If you say two hours, take it down for two hours exact.
  • The rockett
    JHawkInc said:
    Bowgentle said:
    JHawkInc said:
    Bzhai said:

If not, you're screwed.

They had to chose a Wednesday of all days to do this.  S4 pvp ends at Noon EST.  S2 PVE has a sub ending at Noon EST.  If they would have done this Monday, Tuesday, Thursday or Friday at 1pm-3PM EST, not many would have said anything since this would not affect that much. 

Also, saying that it will be from 10-Noon, but could be 30 mins is odd.  They should just locked it out for those 2 hours completely so the playing field is level.  
  • JHawkInc
    Bowgentle said:
    JHawkInc said:
    Bowgentle said:
    JHawkInc said:
    Bzhai said:

If not, you're screwed.

No, I'm asking that they tell us a week in advance AND set it for an exact time.
    If you say two hours, take it down for two hours exact.
    Then why are you quoting and replying to me in the first place?

I'm trying to figure out what Bzhai is talking about, because he's talking about THIS downtime, and seems to be expecting further confirmation.

Like, suggesting ways that the devs could improve downtime isn't a bad idea (and obviously they could use some input), but you've confused me by adding those in a reply to my post, because they don't have anything to do with what I was talking about.
  • HoundofShadow
    I remember seeing an old thread where they publicly announced that they are taking the game offline for server maintenance. 

Anyway, they are adding more capacity to the server. It could mean better response time. 

Hopefully, the process would be smooth and there won't be server outage after increasing their storage.  :D

• Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    @JHawkInc if you read the first few post on the first page Brigby mentioned that there may be a chance that maintenance will be done in less than 2 hours like in the past. 

We understand that these things are hard to predict given technical issues that may occur but what we suggested was they keep the game locked for the full two hours so we can plan our final clears.
  • Smart80
    Smart80 Posts: 748 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2018
    JHawkInc said:
    Bowgentle said:
    JHawkInc said:
    Bzhai said:

If not, you're screwed.

Not predicting, planning, which is quite easy if you’re in full control.
    If you think you might need 5 minutes and 2 hours will be plenty with 99% certainty, you just take the game off for 2 hours, its really that simple... what you dont do, is pick worst time and leave people guessing...

people just want to have some certainty...

**Removed inappropriate content - Ducky
  • Bowgentle

Looks like everyone in my bracket is gambling.
    RNG on a maintenance window.
    Thank you, demiurge. We definitely needed the added thrill in PVE.