S.H.I.E.L.D (Daily Rewards)

Options

Comments

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,000 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    "Pay-to-Win Mobile Game Suggests that You Pay if You Want to Win" isn't really a bombshell headline, though.  I don't get why people are shocked or offended (or slapped!) when this becomes evident in MPQ.

Staying at the very top of the competitive MPQ meta either requires a ton of play or a ton of money or both, and it's always been that way.  There are p2w mobile games where this isn't as much of a requirement, and there are plenty of games of all kinds that don't involve any paying at all besides some cash up front.
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Marvel puzzle quest isn't really pay to win, you can whale sure but there isn't much to "win against" tbh. Maybe if pvp was one on one or head up then pay to win would fit. 

MPQ is much more about time spent and luck then dropping bread. 

Whales excluded. 
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    "Pay-to-Win Mobile Game Suggests that You Pay if You Want to Win" isn't really a bombshell headline, though.  I don't get why people are shocked or offended (or slapped!) when this becomes evident in MPQ.
    Because MPQ used to be a lot fairer in general about its monetisation. Buying ISO was always a dumb move since the game gives you a bunch in 1-3* land. HP comes in at a steady enough rate to cope with most of your needs, but if you need a sudden boost it's not overly expensive. The game's not really that pay to win, at least not compared to a lot of other mobiles games which barely offer a single player experience at all. Pay to play is more true for those.

MPQ on the whole is fairly balanced. There's plenty to do if you barely spend or don't spend at all and you can still progress.
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    Marvel puzzle quest isn't really pay to win, you can whale sure but there isn't much to "win against" tbh. Maybe if pvp was one on one or head up then pay to win would fit. 

MPQ is much more about time spent and luck then dropping bread. 

Whales excluded. 
    Not much to "win against?"  There's a leaderboard on every event, even DDQ.  Everything in the game is ranked.  The previous poster was complaining that it's too hard to get top 10 in CL9 PvE (that's top 10 in a bracket of 1000, literally the best 1% of all players) without spending.  
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    Because MPQ used to be a lot fairer in general about its monetisation. Buying ISO was always a dumb move since the game gives you a bunch in 1-3* land. HP comes in at a steady enough rate to cope with most of your needs, but if you need a sudden boost it's not overly expensive. The game's not really that pay to win, at least not compared to a lot of other mobiles games which barely offer a single player experience at all. Pay to play is more true for those.

MPQ on the whole is fairly balanced. There's plenty to do if you barely spend or don't spend at all and you can still progress.
    So is it fair about monetization still, or was it only fair before?  The other guy seemed to be saying that since the 5* essential it's become unfair.

When I say "pay to win" here, I'm merely describing the game's structure accurately.  You have the option of paying money to win.  You can still win if you don't pay, but it takes some more work to get there.  If they removed the sale of in-game stuff completely, then the game would stop being "pay to win," since you can no longer spend real money to "win" stuff.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If MPQ truly wants to monetize and makes this game pay to win, today, the one and only way to get top tier characters such as IM40, 3* Dr. Strange, C4rol, America Chavez, 5* Gambit(1st and 2nd version), 5* Thor is by using real currency and purchasing in the store. You can't pull them from any tokens, use CP or HP to purchase them, or get them from daily rewards or from progression rewards. You will be left with playing characters such as 3* Gambit, Bagman, Sentry, Elektra, Flaptain, Bruce Banner etc.

The fact is you can progress without paying a single penny, and I'm sure there are players who can attest to that. One of the core principles of the game is to reward players who play regularly.

The controversial parts of the arguments are the definition of "rewards" and "progress". To some, a Standard token is not a reward at all. It's as good as non-existent. The sames goes to progress. Champing a 3* after stepping into 4* or 5* land is not a progress. Getting 1-3 covers of a 4 or 5* characters is not progress. 

Once again, it's down to expectations again. 
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    Just for the record, standard tokens are not useless at all, at any tier of play.  After I finished up my 3* dupe farm I spent about 2 million iso buying standard tokens, and I got a ton of good stuff out of that: lots of 2/3* which cascade to much better rewards.  

The real "slap in the face" was when they removed the ability to buy those with iso...now I'm sitting on over 5 million of the stuff with absolutely nothing to spend it on.
  • fnedude
    fnedude Posts: 379 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Hey, Standard Token here 2x days in a row... Woopee!  Day 1620+

Yes, I'm getting 5*Strange-Blue soon, but still.
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    It was not targeted at you specifically, but it's useless to some. Even a sellback price of 100 iso-8  is almost non-existent.

@entrailbucket you have 5 million iso-8 and nothing to spend on? I assume that you have leveled every single character (not including 1*) in your roster to the maximum level possible regardless of the number of covers they have. Is that right?
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    Yep.  Setting up a 4* dupe farm is really expensive, but I got through it a few months ago.  I'm in clochards if you'd like to check.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The problem with redoing daily rewards is that inevitably, people will flip out if a reward they're already past gets changed to something really good. That leaves two choices:

A: Just make the change and let people rage for a while, hope the fallout isn't too bad

B: Retroactively give people all the altered rewards they're already past, essentially giving vets hundreds of days' worth of rewards in one shot

Neither is a great choice. I can see why they aren't in a hurry to address this one.
  • maltyo9
    maltyo9 Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    edited July 2018
    Options
    If they were to change any of the set rewards, I can see a big problem if vets that were past that day didn't receive them.  But if they only changed the random days...

Let's give an example.  Once you've passed day 1000, you received one elite token for every standard, 50 or 100 hp for every 25 or 50 hp, and 1000 iso for every random iso reward you've already received.

The reward is random, though.  So just find an average of those rewards.  No vet on day 1576 is going to complain about receiving 50 elite tokens, 2000 hp and 100k iso to make up for the pittance of random rewards received up to that point.  And just increase what the random rewards give out after day 1000.  Instead of standard tokens, elites.  Instead of 25 hp, 100 hp.  Instead of 250 iso, 1000 iso.  At that point in your MPQ career, that won't make much of a difference.  But it's still getting more for having played more.

And that's never a bad thing.

FWIW, I'm on day 949, so it would change nothing for me right now.  But I would have something to look forward to.
  • HoundofShadow
    edited July 2018
    Options
    They could just add in the rewards on the 1825th day because it would be their 5th anniversary.
  • maltyo9
    edited July 2018
    Options
    They could just add in the rewards on the 1825th day because it would be their 5th anniversary.
    Why wait until the anniversary?  That's already pretty contentious for vets that have been around for that long.  

From what I've read, the first anniversary was awesome.  Tokens and Devil Dino covers raining from the sky.  Every one since then...not so much.  Some have been okay...I don't want to bring up the second anniversary, still a sore spot on the forums.

But why wait for a huge, monumental moment for a mobile game to make vets happy?

Why not create some goodwill early to keep the people who have helped keep the game alive for this long happy?

And try and keep them around for the next anniversary?
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    There will be fallout if they do it retroactively. Applying on the anniversary ensures that there won't be fallout.
  • maltyo9
    Options
    There will be fallout if they do it retroactively. Applying on the anniversary ensures that there won't be fallout.
    How does that ensure that there's no fallout?
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,602 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Could you explain? What exactly would they apply on Anniversary, and why would Anniversary change things so they don't have to give out rewards retroactively?
  • Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Options
    JHawkInc said:
    Could you explain? What exactly would they apply on Anniversary, and why would Anniversary change things so they don't have to give out rewards retroactively?
    I think what @HoundofShadow is getting at is that if they made a change to the rewards, and only made it effective on day 1825 and forward, they they would guarantee no one would ask for back compensation, because no one would have reached that point.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This thread really turned into an effective argument against changing anything.  Good job everybody.

Calls for retroactive compensation will always be ridiculous to me.
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    Let me add in more details. Let's say if D3 changed certain part of the reward structure and replaced it with better reward tokens beginning from day X, where X is less than the longest playing day on the date that the changes took effect, players would want rewards to be given out retroactively. Think of the Iso-8 and champed rewards that were given out retroactively. This has formed an expectation and players are expecting it to be a norm. I suppose with the recent Ant-man and the Wasp movie celebration, players are also expecting this type of celebration(double iso-8, free specific Support or covers, free support tokens etc) to be the bare minimum for future movie releases. 

By mentioning the changes to daily log-in rewards in advance, no one gains an advantage or additional rewards.

It doesn't have to be applied on the anniversary date. it could be applied on a date in the future that is not less than the longest playing day. It could go something like, "Beginning from day 1800, better rewards will be added in to the daily log-in rewards",or "y rewards will be replaced with better rewards beginning from day 1800."

This might result in players calling the devs stingy though. It's a situation where the devs either get called for being stingy if they did not apply the new rewards structure retroactively, or they end up pissing off another group of vets that miss out on the "additional" rewards gained by other veterans who played a few more days than them.