Wiccan (Billy Kaplan) (6/12/18)

Comments

• hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 564 Critical Contributor
    Is it true healing? 
    Yes
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,154 Chairperson of the Boards
    The Apocalypse boss event is one of the best ones! My only wish is that it had different boosted lists from iteration to iteration, as using my Cyclops / Jean Grey / X-Force Wolverine strategies again feels a little stale and I'd like to be forced to try something new. That's no fault of the event though.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,900 Chairperson of the Boards
    After taking him out for a spin in Shield Training I am not impressed.

I wiped twice before I managed to win it and that was against an enemy team with only 1 4* on it. He's squishy and it takes a long time for the Demiurge power to get rolling. Certainly he'll be killed by GrockMorDusa teams long before he becomes the Demiurge.

I only won because Miles could go invisible and I could collect purple.

Yes, a couple times chain lightning destroyed multiple columns of Carnage/Storm tiles but another time it targeted the exact same column a 2nd time and so it stopped the chain (and the my loaner team wiped soon after).

He's going to be purely niche in that need only has value on a few teams.

KGB
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    My team got wiped because I was focusing on getting all 6 coloured aps. The Hero of the Day went to Miles instead. I think he has been paired with the wrong team, and his opponents are meant to showcase his Chain Lightning and yellow ability. I guess that's where Supports and battery come into play in story events for him. 
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    I managed to cast his green once using the loaner in the first node of SHIELD Training.  Seeing how many special tiles Carnage had littered the board with, I was expecting something great.  Unfortunately, the lightning chained to the column it had just destroyed, so it was a bit of a fizzle.

While a second reading of the power description shows that as a possibility, it was a bit disappointing.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well, it doesn’t help than the enemy team makes so many attack tiles, which Rogue takes full damage from.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    So.... no Wiccan boosts?

I only noticed they were missing because I only use them in Shield Training, so I can't exactly say I'm sad to see them gone, but it's always nice to hear about changes instead of having to stumble into them by accident.

(honestly, I'd like to see more generic boosts, like a "Young Avengers" boost for Wiccan that would also work with America, instead of something restricted to a single character)
  • Pr0spect0r
    Pr0spect0r Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    I gave that loaner mode a second try he seems fun to use but definitely a slow starter in that team. Someone feeding him ap would make him faster. But once i got him to evolve it was pretty fun to use. Chain lightning went off twice got 3 columns so that was cool.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards
    His writeup was more impressive, to me, than actually using him.  He takes a LONG time to get rolling and, even when he does, it's a bit meh.  I cannot imagine using him other then when boosted or required.

In other words, I'm glad I have his three colours from the Boss Event but am not rushing out to the new store to get another cover.
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 564 Critical Contributor
    He was not put on a good team for this event, the potential is there for some intersting play, he did get beat up a little more than I expected him to do but he may be another Agent Venom who is horrible at low level, low cover.  People have a tendency to dismiss characters long before they should, Red-Hulk, Glad Hulk and Agent Venom all spring to mind.  
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    As others have mentioned, I wish his green had a "lightning never strikes the same place twice" clause - when I finally managed to get 12 green I cast Chain Lightning, expecting impressive cascades. Instead it destroyed column two... then... destroyed column two, which of course had no enemy tiles. I thought to myself "I just spent 12 green AP for that!?", which is never the feeling you want from a new character.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,651 Chairperson of the Boards
    PuceMoose said:
    As others have mentioned, I wish his green had a "lightning never strikes the same place twice" clause - when I finally managed to get 12 green I cast Chain Lightning, expecting impressive cascades. Instead it destroyed column two... then... destroyed column two, which of course had no enemy tiles. I thought to myself "I just spent 12 green AP for that!?", which is never the feeling you want from a new character.
    Its 12 green for 8500 damage, a targeted column destruction allowing you to clear annoying tiles you couldn't normally match (which puts it very comparable if not better than other 12 cost greens in 4* land), and potential for extra board clear/shake. 

I would say overall his green is good. 
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,893 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think he's one who will be better on paper than in practice.  I think I'm going to bonus Spidey out of the next two to enter packs.  Really excited about that Miles synergy.
    Unfortunately I think I was right about this one. Though it does confirm my initial assessment that Spidey is the way to go if you want to try and cover a dilution-era character via bonus heroes. Ironically if they had Miles team with Parker instead of Wiccan, I think the hype would be higher. 
  • TheOne
    TheOne Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    PuceMoose said:
    Ditto here. I need to play more to try him out. I had Carnage going strong filling the board. Used Wiccan's green power and 2/3 times it did the exact same column, ending my chain. 
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,154 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think he's going to shine the most in PvE, and will be particularly dominating in wave nodes.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tried him again in the GotG Story event in the Join Forces nodes. Oh boy! This character can only work with limited characters.  I find it difficult to give him the opportunity to shine because I would be eating countdown tiles turn after turn.
  • randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    PuceMoose said:
    That is exactly what happened the first time I used him.  Thought it might be a nice feature versus those alien buggers in PVE.  I honestly don't see a use for Wiccan, at all.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's way too much green for something that may, or may not, help.  They really need to rework this character, IMHO.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    For those of you who are confused as me by his PVP title, I googled it.  I thought it was some weird Boston thing before looking it up...

It's from Macbeth Act IV, scene I:
    SECOND WITCH
    By the pricking of my thumbs,
    Something wicked this way comes.

Also, a Ray Bradbury novel took it's name from the quote.  A movie from the novel was also made...
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 967 Critical Contributor
    Question for those more familiar with Wiccan...
    How is his name pronounced?
    "Wick-can" or "Wee-can"?