Gilded Lotus: Bait and switch

Options

Comments

• Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I don’t have anything more to say besides what’s already been well articulated by @Sarahschmara  and others. I will just say that I am disappointed with this portential nerf. I don’t think the card is broken in it’s current state. The low shield count means that it can be difficult to keep lotus around for long and making it not a great pair with the with mass gem conversion that exisits in many types of decks.

I am in the camp of people who have never spent a dime on this game until the Karn / Lotus package and feel that a good portion of that value for money is being taken away retroactively. 
    Me i've never spent until karn and lotus is the reason why. I had enough crystal to get him if I wanted to
  • Quantius
    Quantius Posts: 228 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I don't even think Gilded Lotus is a good card, but I'm offended by this nerf simply due to the fact that there are so many f'd up totally busted cards in the game and they go on a bizarre nerfing spree of almost all the cards in the Karn package. Jousting Lance nerf? Really. Bloodtallow Candle nerf? lolwut?

It's a really confusing bunch of changes that feel needlessly punitive and relegate a small group of cards to the trash pile.

I do get the distinct impression that people at Oktagon don't really play or understand MTG, and if they do, they really do weird things as they adapt cards to MTGPQ.
  • Theros
    Options
    they are more likely to nerf karn himself. I wouldn't be surprised.
  • Coilbox
    Coilbox Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Options
    MADAFAKA said:
    they are more likely to nerf karn himself. I wouldn't be surprised.
    If they do so, Troy will fall.
  • Thuran
    Thuran Posts: 456 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2018
    Options
    To be fair, we all knew this could happen, just as any purchase of exclusive cards would also entail the risk of a possible balance change at a later date.

In addition, we should remember that this was primarily a Karn package, which included Gilded lotus as part of his basic deck. As such, any questions of refunds should fail, as we knew there was a risk of change, and because we still received the product advertised: Karn, along with his basic deck. 

Furthermore, your purchase also gave you early access to those cards, and you got to use the pre-nerf gilded lotus for a prolonged period of time. As such, you got the immediate value you were promised, and the cards did exactly what you expected them to do prior to the purchase. 

This is not a case of false advertising, nor was there any kind of promise that these cards would never be changed. 

It is not a case of being promised a card down the line, and then receiving a different card; You got the +2 Gilded lotus upon purchase.

You got what you paid for, and ahead of purchase you knew that the cards were subject to possible balance changed. There are no actual grounds for claiming refunds.

Or do you want a full refund every single time a card or planeswalker is adjusted for the sake of balance? 
    When you purchase any card, do you seriously expect it to be set in stone for all eternity? 

And yes, I usually don't pay anything to play this game, and yes Gilded Lotus was the card that put the karn package over the top for me. But just like any average customer, i knew or should have known that it would likely be nerfed if it had turned out to be necessary. 

Heck, even if it isn't op, you are all fully aware that they might tweak the mana costs and effects of cards, especially regarding cards that you know are still undergoing testing. 

D3 should not give a refund of any kind.

You knew what you paid for, you got exactly what you paid for and accepted the terms and risks. So complaints now are frankly just whining. 
  • Aeroplane
    Aeroplane Posts: 314 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Thuran said:
    To be fair, we all knew this could happen, just as any purchase of exclusive cards would also entail the risk of a possible balance change at a later date.

In addition, we should remember that this was primarily a Karn package, which included Gilded lotus as part of his basic deck. As such, any questions of refunds should fail, as we knew there was a risk of change, and because we still received the product advertised: Karn, along with his basic deck. 

Furthermore, your purchase also gave you early access to those cards, and you got to use the pre-nerf gilded lotus for a prolonged period of time. As such, you got the immediate value you were promised, and the cards did exactly what you expected them to do prior to the purchase. 

This is not a case of false advertising, nor was there any kind of promise that these cards would never be changed. 

It is not a case of being promised a card down the line, and then receiving a different card; You got the +2 Gilded lotus upon purchase.

You got what you paid for, and ahead of purchase you knew that the cards were subject to possible balance changed. There are no actual grounds for claiming refunds.

Or do you want a full refund every single time a card or planeswalker is adjusted for the sake of balance? 
    When you purchase any card, do you seriously expect it to be set in stone for all eternity? 

And yes, I usually don't pay anything to play this game, and yes Gilded Lotus was the card that put the karn package over the top for me. But just like any average customer, i knew or should have known that it would likely be nerfed if it had turned out to be necessary. 

Heck, even if it isn't op, you are all fully aware that they might tweak the mana costs and effects of cards, especially regarding cards that you know are still undergoing testing. 

You knew what you paid for, you got exactly what you paid for and accepted the terms and risks. So complaints now are frankly just whining. 
    Yes, yes , everyone is well aware cards are susceptible to change in the future and the refund is an extreme request from a few, but it's more out of frustration of such an drastic turnabout from a presale that , basically, got changed so quickly after a purchase when it didn't need to be. We all knew River's Rebuke would get nerfed eventually for its impact on the game, but it is still pretty op for a rare. They used Gilded Lotus as a selling point to make some cash and draw to buy Karn with some common so-so cards then they took them back behind the shed and gave them a beating. All the cards became way below average now and indirectly nerfed Karn by shutting down the Lotus. No one really expects a refund as you believe , but it's a small protest on how they have approached this blatant bait and switch. They easily could have waited for the buff and nerf update after the DOM  release to lessen the impact at least. Dang! I'm still trying to level Karn with it's extreme leveling curve so I haven' experienced the full impact of Lotus with him. in a court of law you are absolutely correct , but its very poor business practice.
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,434 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thuran said:

Well put, kind of like Overwatch. You paid for the game but they keep nerfing the heck out of it. False advertising or balancing? 
  • Coilbox
    Coilbox Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Thuran said:

Calling everyone a whiner just because we complain about an absolutely unnecesary nerf (as you said, we all know this might happen, but it is still absolutely unnecesary and unfair considering that people paid some cash for the bundle and also for the card) is not very nice of you.

• AzraelCB
    AzraelCB Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    Options
    gogol666 said:
    Since everybody is giving their take, here is mine:
    - the karn bundle was very good for its money
    - we knew d3 has the right to rebalance everything
    - the nerf to gilded lotus is unnecessary
    - was it a bait and switch? I don't know, but it felt like it, because most of the player base didn't feel gilded lotus was broken or even op.

To summarize: I can live with the nerf, but I believe it gives the community the wrong message, because it fixes something that is not broken, while long lasting problems are yet to be addressed
    This sums up my feelings as well.

Calling people whiners and telling them to suck it up does not correct the problem. Sure... this is the internet where anonymous over-reacting is expected, but is it a handful of people or does the complaining represent the community as a whole? There are a LOT of people saying similar things about these changes. Not just on these forums, but in Discord, Slack and Line servers as well. Yes, D3 had the right to do it, but that doesn't make it right, and it doesn't make it in the best interest in the future of this franchise. Dismissing people as whiners without examining the overall impact of the issue is just as bad as complaining just to complain.
  • DumasAG
    DumasAG Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Not a bait and switch in my mind, as since Baral we've known that changes can happen to anything (even if they don't (How I loathe you, Olivia)). But it's mind-boggling that they nerfed so many cards so needlessly. I guess the stats showed everyone who bought Karn playing with the lotus? I would have thought they'd wait for a bigger sample size/the excitement of a new card to die down before making a change. To me, I have less questions about a bait and switch than I do about the reasoning for the alterations, and, as someone else asked, when they decided to make the changes vs. when they informed us of those changes. From an ethical standpoint, once they decided to make a change, they should have immediately notified everyone (IN APP, not everyone is on the forum).

• DumasAG
    DumasAG Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Thuran said:

...Or do you want a full refund every single time a card or planeswalker is adjusted for the sake of balance? 
    When you purchase any card, do you seriously expect it to be set in stone for all eternity? ...

Actually, yes. Many of us have this expectation, as many CCG mobile games give full refund of in-game resources for cards which are altered in any way. Eternal, Hearthstone, Shadowverse... Other games have set a precedent that a refund of some kind for the value of the card is reasonable and should be expected. The company doesn't have to stand by that precedent, obviously. But it's going to lead to player anxiety/negative sentiment. 
  • Theros
    Options
    Other card games I played do give full refund when something is altered. The changes to karn package is too specific, they could have used all that energy to fix more bugs and other more problematic cards that are worth looking into. They played a fast one on us.
  • ReadingRambo
    ReadingRambo Posts: 19 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Just spent my first money on this game based on Karn and lotus, and this makes me very unlikely to ever spend more money. Sure, it was within their rights to change it, but legal doesn't always mean good business. I feel stupid for spending money on a phone game now, and extra stupid for it being 20 bucks! That's the price of a lot of very good complete steam games.I figured since I had sunk so many hours into this game, maybe it was time to kick a little back to the developers, even if I think their price model sort of sucks. So an expensive PW, and a very good rare seemed like the right time to do it.

I doubt they will, but I hope they re-think this card change. Especially with the changes to the other cards in the deck, it just seems really slimy. 
  • FeralSkald
    FeralSkald Posts: 43 Just Dropped In
    Options
    If they nerfed Karn I could see this blowback, but lotus was a bonus in my mind, not the purchase. It's a rare card that needed a tweak that's it. The fact people are upset about a piddly rare mana card says a lot about how it needed a balance. Maybe they overdid it and will change it again. Who knows? But all this upset over a bonus card in one of the cheapest PW bundles is trite.
  • Gabrosin
    Gabrosin Posts: 259 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Thuran said:

One of two things is true: they changed the Lotus's stats on a whim in the brief time period between the conclusion of the Karn sale and the posting of the card gallery, or they were collecting money for the Karn/Lotus package while knowing that the Lotus was about to change and not communicating that fact to prospective purchasers.

Neither is a good look for the game.