We're gunna sing the doom song now

Comments

• DumasAG
    DumasAG Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Mburn7 said:
    wereotter said:

So I know you're being sarcastic there, but I'm going to put my money on this being the event mythic. Sunsong and Firespeaker was the buy-a-box promo mythic for Dominaria, and Nexus of Fate is the one for Core 2019, so it would make sense to use it. How this card will translate into the game, however, I'm not sure. I can't see them making a spell that just gives an extra swap.
    this card shouldn't exist.  In paper form or mtgpq form.  It's too darn easy to exploit.

I can think of 5 different ways just off the top of my head for infinite turn combos
    What about the Magistrate's Scepter that's getting a reprint?

I think I could make that go infinite with my tinykitty paper collection.  And in PQ it'll be like Gonti's Heart 2.0
    I didn't know they're bringing back Magistrate's Scepter too.  It's almost like Wizards wants people to stop playing the game.

I run that card in my charge-counter deck and can pull infinite-turns off it by turn 6.  I usually offer to take it out of my deck when starting a match with a player, out of desire for good sportsmanship.  It's rare that I meet a player that doesn't wish me to take it out before game start.

Well mtg is getting bought out after all right?
    People in your play group need to start running artifact hate, apparently.
  • EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Vandalblast and Stranglehold are cards.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2018
    DumasAG said:
    Mburn7 said:
    wereotter said:

So I know you're being sarcastic there, but I'm going to put my money on this being the event mythic. Sunsong and Firespeaker was the buy-a-box promo mythic for Dominaria, and Nexus of Fate is the one for Core 2019, so it would make sense to use it. How this card will translate into the game, however, I'm not sure. I can't see them making a spell that just gives an extra swap.
    this card shouldn't exist.  In paper form or mtgpq form.  It's too darn easy to exploit.

I can think of 5 different ways just off the top of my head for infinite turn combos

I think I could make that go infinite with my tinykitty paper collection.  And in PQ it'll be like Gonti's Heart 2.0
    I didn't know they're bringing back Magistrate's Scepter too.  It's almost like Wizards wants people to stop playing the game.

I run that card in my charge-counter deck and can pull infinite-turns off it by turn 6.  I usually offer to take it out of my deck when starting a match with a player, out of desire for good sportsmanship.  It's rare that I meet a player that doesn't wish me to take it out before game start.

oh they do.  They destroy it, I bring it back same turn.  They destroy it again, I bring it back.  They try to cast shatterstorm, I kill them with it on the stack.  I'm a good sport and and a friendly player to face against, but my personal standard are for my decks to be able to handle 1 vs 5-6 player matches, which is what I'm used to, playing almost every week since ~2008.
  • EDHdad
    If a six player pod can't handle that piece of jank, they deserve to lose.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mburn7 said:
    wereotter said:

That was my first thought too.  Contagion engine and Surge node and its infinite.  

Wizards has said that the rares and mythics in Core are focused more for competitive non-standard formats, which is probably why so many of them are stupid powerful.  Not sure if that's the best idea, but it'll keep the enfranchised players happy.
  • FindingHeart8
    EDHdad said:
    you sound like a fun player to play against. :)

It's not their fault, I put a lot of time into constructing my decks.  They can't just be powerful, but they have to be powerful in ways that are unconventional and weird.

Like an example I said in the other thread.  Killing 6 players at once with a 300/300 commander that is also a single aura enchanting and controlling 1 creature, that's also enchanting and controlling every other creature on the board, that can redirect any spell cast to any target I choose, and this commander also a mountain.

At that point, there is no card yet created in magic the gathering that can stop me.  People have looked.  Judges have looked.

It's great and breaks the 4th wall of magic, and gives me a headache every time I play the deck.  So I prefer to play the deck that destroys players with an army of wombats, much simpler and players don't mind losing as much :3
  • Mburn7
    EDHdad said:

It's not their fault, I put a lot of time into constructing my decks.  They can't just be powerful, but they have to be powerful in ways that are unconventional and weird.

Like an example I said in the other thread.  Killing 6 players at once with a 300/300 commander that is also a single aura enchanting and controlling 1 creature, that's also enchanting and controlling every other creature on the board, that can redirect any spell cast to any target I choose, and this commander also a mountain.

At that point, there is no card yet created in magic the gathering that can stop me.  People have looked.  Judges have looked.

It's great and breaks the 4th wall of magic, and gives me a headache every time I play the deck.  So I prefer to play the deck that destroys players with an army of wombats, much simpler and players don't mind losing as much :3
    You still never sent me that decklist.  I really am curious as to how one thing can be so many things.  I have a friend who also loves making weird, janky decks and I enjoy seeing them come together.
  • FindingHeart8
    Mburn7 said:
    EDHdad said:

You still never sent me that decklist.  I really am curious as to how one thing can be so many things.  I have a friend who also loves making weird, janky decks and I enjoy seeing them come together.
    haha yeah, send me a fb message tonight when I'm off work.  I remember a few pieces of the combo off the top of my head but I'd really need to actually look through the deck to remember the specifics. :)
  • EDHdad

Humility says "hi".
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    DumasAG said:
    Mburn7 said:
    wereotter said:

oh they do.  They destroy it, I bring it back same turn.  They destroy it again, I bring it back.  They try to cast shatterstorm, I kill them with it on the stack.  I'm a good sport and and a friendly player to face against, but my personal standard are for my decks to be able to handle 1 vs 5-6 player matches, which is what I'm used to, playing almost every week since ~2008.
    That's what they get for not throwing it into the core

• EDHdad
    Apocalypse, Detention Sphere, Dimensional Breech, Perilous Vault, Play of the Game, Thieve's Auction, Urza's Ruinous Blast, Stony Silence, Null Rod, Pithing Needle, Cyclonic Rift, Hurkyll's Recall, Aethersnipe,

Blink of an Eye or Boomerang on an Isochon Scepter with Paradox Engine in play.
  • EDHdad
    Hey, look.  Solemnity.

Time to make a deck list.
  • FindingHeart8
    EDHdad said:
    Apocalypse, Detention Sphere, Dimensional Breech, Perilous Vault, Play of the Game, Thieve's Auction, Urza's Ruinous Blast, Stony Silence, Null Rod, Pithing Needle, Cyclonic Rift, Hurkyll's Recall, Aethersnipe,

Blink of an Eye or Boomerang on an Isochon Scepter with Paradox Engine in play.
    Half of those cards my commander had an instant answer for, the other half would be a "return it to play at the end of the turn" and pay 1 mana to reboot the entire system.  This is presuming I don't already have a "kill a player while their spell is on the stack" response ready, those take a bit more time to assemble. ;)
  • FindingHeart8
    wereotter said:
    DumasAG said:
    Mburn7 said:
    wereotter said:

That's what they get for not throwing it into the core

yeah that would make things a bit more complicated.  Not a lot though thanks to the wonderful powers of Trading Post
  • DumasAG
    this thread MIGHT be getting a bit off topic
  • FindingHeart8
    DumasAG said:
    this thread MIGHT be getting a bit off topic
    I suspect the entire mtgpq community (including myself) might be a bit ADD ;)

on topic: I wonder what the new set will entail!
  • DumasAG
    is it actually confirmed that Core will be added to MTGPQ? I want to see a confirmation of that before speculating on the Core Doom Song.
  • Mburn7
    DumasAG said:
    is it actually confirmed that Core will be added to MTGPQ? I want to see a confirmation of that before speculating on the Core Doom Song.
    It is not confirmed, despite us asking for quite a few months now.

But with the spoilers coming out its fun to speculate anyway
  • FindingHeart8
    I'm still banking on a strong no for core '19 being in mtgpq, but it's a fun idea to bounce around :)

• wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was initially thinking they’d skip it, but as more cards are announced, fewer are reprints of things in Puzzle Quest now than I anticipated. So I’m becoming more inclined to think it will be added. Also skipping it loses potential income for the game devs.