We're gunna sing the doom song now

Options

Comments

• Rhasget
    Rhasget Posts: 412 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I guess I'm a bit slow, but what identifies a card as legendary?
    Historic is the symbol of a pillar with slanted edge? Or do I have this backwards?
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    so...anyone know how the masterpiece Flash is going to work?  Can spells in your hand be disabled somehow now?

It seems you charge the spell then disable it yourself (you can do that by tapping on the spell symbol)

Then when you're attacked, you can cast a defender of some kind to block, and then that creature dies at the end of your opponent's turn. It's an interesting take on the spell, but sadly not great given how combat works in this game. I can see maybe getting a benefit to using it in a Tezzeret deck to sneak summon Noxious Gearhulk to kill one attacker as an ETB and then have him to block, but I don't really see the benefit to using this spell over just simply summoning the creature you're after in the first place.

Maybe if there are some better creatures with death effects....
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    Options
    In legacy : avacyn, the enemy has no way to kill it, it'll eat all attackers
    Black elder dino, giving all enemy's creatures - 6/-6
    White Avatar Dino, surprise board wipe or just a fat  body with defender
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Zzyzzx said:
    Anybody else notice the difference between their Gilded Lotus and ours?
    Must be an old rough draft.
    @Zzyzzx

I think it's more likely that Gilded Lotus is being nerfed. They haven't released a nerf / buff list yet. 
  • wereotter
    Options
    In legacy : avacyn, the enemy has no way to kill it, it'll eat all attackers
    Black elder dino, giving all enemy's creatures - 6/-6
    White Avatar Dino, surprise board wipe or just a fat  body with defender
    Thing is you might as well just cast those creatures rather than flash them in and loose them. Not that I'm likely be able to play around with it anyway since it's a masterpiece ;)
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @Rhasget

The pillar is Legendary, I believe. At least that's the symbol of the old MTG Legends set. 

https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Legends
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    bken1234 said:
    Rhasget

The pillar is Legendary, I believe. At least that's the symbol of the old MTG Legends set. 

https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Legends
    Yes. That's correct. The pillar icon is the icon representing a Legendary card. You can find a brief description of it in the Abilities Gallery FAQ.
  • Enygma6
    Enygma6 Posts: 266 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    bken1234 said:
    Zzyzzx said:
    Anybody else notice the difference between their Gilded Lotus and ours?
    Must be an old rough draft.
    @Zzyzzx

I think it's more likely that Gilded Lotus is being nerfed. They haven't released a nerf / buff list yet. 
    All 6 of the already-released Dominaria cards have a different casting cost than the pictures in the gallery. Either they are all getting adjusted, or the gallery pics are from a non-finalized version.  
    Other pre-release pics are still in the gallery for other sets (XLN Elites a notable example).
  • DBJones
    DBJones Posts: 803 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I think Elfhame Druid and Hallar, the Firefletcher will make an interesting base for combos. Also Screeching Skaab will actually be moderately useful! Dampening Sphere and In Bolas's Clutches will likely be traumatizing in the hands of the AI.
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wereotter said:
    Baird + Dauntless Bodyguard is going to be a problem. Especially in Teferi/Dovin decks where you can use Stratus Walk. Basically it's the new Runaway Carriage.
    Not even close to runaway carriage.
  • Thuran
    Thuran Posts: 456 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Flash+ kamigawa dragons, just saying... ;)
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Rhasget said:
    I guess I'm a bit slow, but what identifies a card as legendary?
    Historic is the symbol of a pillar with slanted edge? Or do I have this backwards?
    Legendary is that slanted icon.
    Historic is any card that is Legendary, Artifact, or Saga
  • wereotter
    Options
    khurram said:
    wereotter said:
    Baird + Dauntless Bodyguard is going to be a problem. Especially in Teferi/Dovin decks where you can use Stratus Walk. Basically it's the new Runaway Carriage.
    Not even close to runaway carriage.
    Prevent damage, first strike, vigilance is about on par with what we saw back then. Easier to mess with since it’s not flying or hexproof, but still quite powerful. 
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Tip the right to corner so it gets gray? The question is.. Can the ai do it?
    aaaaah.

In my head I always figured "disabled" applied to creatures in the battlefield (as it's something that is generally done to you, not something you would usually do to yourself), and spells in your hand that you personally disabled were just "turned off."

Dat der semantic wordin'. 
  • DumasAG
    DumasAG Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Torgaar is going to be REALLY ugly with Roil and/or Part the Waterveil. Vamps plus path of discovery gets there too. I would predict he will wind up with the highest groan factor of the new set.

Runner up might be Dauntless Bodyguard. Partly because a lot of players will own it due to its rarity, but it has shades of runaway carriage. All you have to do is play it in a deck with hexproof things that can also hand out reach/vigilance.

Serra Angel could also be irritating for same reasons as Dauntless Bodyguard's ability and the potential irritation it may cause.
  • andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    Options
    DumasAG said:
    Torgaar is going to be REALLY ugly withh Roil and/or Part the Waterveil. Vamps plus path of discovery gets there too. I would predict he will wind up with the highest groan factor of the new set.

Runner up might be Dauntless Bodyguard. Partly because a lot of players will own it due to its rarity, but it has shades of runaway carriage. All you have to do is play it in a deck with hexproof things that can also hand out reach/vigilance.

Serra Angel could also be irritating for same reasons as Dauntless Bodyguard's ability and the potential irritation it may cause.
    I'm afraid, with this wording, serra angel only gets prevent damage when there are 5 white gems on the board, no more no less. 

@Brigby
     Could you confirm? 
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DumasAG said:
    Torgaar is going to be REALLY ugly with Roil and/or Part the Waterveil. Vamps plus path of discovery gets there too. I would predict he will wind up with the highest groan factor of the new set.

I could see that getting nasty as well...a 2-step Runaway Carriage is not something I want to see return to mtgpq :/
  • DBJones
    DBJones Posts: 803 Critical Contributor
    Options
    We have a lot more untargeted removal now though, plus the bodyguard doesn't have hexproof. Also, this combo will be much more expensive in mana. It'll probably be more likely to mess people up if it doesn't get used often so they aren't prepared.
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DBJones said:
    We have a lot more untargeted removal now though, plus the bodyguard doesn't have hexproof. Also, this combo will be much more expensive in mana. It'll probably be more likely to mess people up if it doesn't get used often so they aren't prepared.

Tools to deal with hexproof are absolutely needed these days, but they are around, so it's not automatically bad at the moment! As long as each set going forward has something or other it should stay ok...
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    People need to stop comparing those cards to runaway carriage. Not the same.