Okoye (Warrior General) (5/15/18)

Comments

• CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Start asking your alliance mates for 2* Ms. Marvel yellow TUs now.
    Problem: you'll need Team-up AP to fire it.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    JHawkInc said:
    Kevin61 said:
    Why is she a 5 star? Very confusing....
    What the tinykitty??  I understand that the star rating is rarity and not based on powers but a character that is essentially background support as a 5*, my first reaction was "Huh???"
    She's a main character in the biggest domestic superhero movie of all time, that's still top ten worldwide. Maybe shocking to think about for long-time Marvel fans, but for a significant chunk of the population she's got more notoriety than a mess of other 5*s (like any of the X-Men, or Goblin or Bolt or Surfer).
    I don't think she has more notoriety than Wolverine who has been in the larger public awareness for the best part of 20 years but yes, long time Marvel fans obviously have greater reverence for the classic characters. I guess the test will be whether anybody remembers who she is when there are no more Black Panther movies.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,651 Chairperson of the Boards
    Why is she a 5 star? Very confusing....
    Exactly.  A character that most people couldn't pick out in a minute (I really wasn't sure which one she was in the pic...).  But, the more important question is, is this release pattern an aberration or are they upping 5* character production.  Usually it's 4/4/5, but with Okoye it's 5/4/5... 
    Everyone was positive they would follow the pattern. And were angry we would have 3 5* spidermen. I said don't trust previous patterns around infinity war time because it was a large event and could shake up previous patterns.

And here we are.
  • modok47
    modok47 Posts: 19 Just Dropped In
    Meh ... I was hoping for Cable with Deadpool 2 
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,246 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    modok47 said:
    Marvel dictates that they can’t cross promote Fox movies.  Can’t give any help to a movie whose first outing made $783 million, no matter how many fans are playing the game.  At least until/if Fox and Disney merge, then they’ll probably double the character release schedule to fit in all the cross promotional synergy.

But back on topic:  Okoye is going to be a very worthy addition to your roster. Her power set is very appealing.  Ignoring her because she’s a “side character” would be foolish, IMO.  And at least it’s a new character, not a variant.
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    bluewolf said:
    modok47 said:
    Marvel dictates that they can’t cross promote Fox movies.  Can’t give any help to a movie whose first outing made $783 million, no matter how many fans are playing the game.  At least until/if Fox and Disney merge, then they’ll probably double the character release schedule to fit in all the cross promotional synergy.

But back on topic:  Okoye is going to be a very worthy addition to your roster. Her power set is very appealing.  Ignoring her because she’s a “side character” would be foolish, IMO.  And at least it’s a new character, not a variant.
    I like powers. Who they belong to and flavor are all window dressing. I'd play with H.E.R.B.I.E. if he had an awesome power set.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf said:

I think her appeal factor is going to depend on what one already has 5*s.  If one already has a champed Gambit and GladiThor, she is fairly worthless.  Why would I ever substitute her for GladiThor?  His Yellow protects everyone, not just heals one person and their Reds cancel out.  Give me his green over her passive black any day of the week.

You can call her a 5* but she is a 4* in a Tiffany's jewelry box.  The power set really is not good enough, IMHO, to be a 5* no matter how popular or unpopular she may be as a Marvel character.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    For some reason the news that she's a 5* is really disheartening to me, even though I always expected that the 4* tier had to slow down like the tiers below it have so the 5*s could start to expand. But man, it is a long, long road to get covers for 5*s currently.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,651 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf said:
    modok47 said:
    So out of curiosity how would you explain Jubilee? No direct mcu tie in, and a character that would fall under the fox umbrella. Same for Rogue, Nightcrawler, and Gambit.
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 556 Critical Contributor
    tiomono said:
    bluewolf said:
    modok47 said:
    So out of curiosity how would you explain Jubilee? No direct mcu tie in, and a character that would fall under the fox umbrella. Same for Rogue, Nightcrawler, and Gambit.
    Jubilee has no fox movie tie in's. MPQ probably can do just about any marvel character they want within the guidelines and restrictions on marvel.

Doing a cable or deadpool release at or around the time of the deadpool 2 would probably be HEAVILY frowned upon by marvel is not all out restricted and MPQ seems to have one of if not the best marvel gaming relationships I've seen. Heck Peggy cap made it to the comic book world.

Comics and movies aren't equal, at one point it was pretty clear that marvel didn't want ANY mutants or xmen used in anything, they've kind of eased up on that a bit. I haven't seen an official marvel promotion of any kind for deadpool so I'm pretty sure they aren't aboard for it at all.

• DAZ0273
    tiomono said:
    bluewolf said:
    modok47 said:
    None of them (as featured in MPQ) are based on any movie continuity and weren't featuring in any movies out at the time of their release. So loophole I'm guessing.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    tiomono said:
    bluewolf said:
    modok47 said:
    I'm not bluewolf, but what Fox movie in the last year had any of those X-Men that it would be cross-promoting?

If we end up with a Cable or a new Colossus in the next couple months, then you have a point.
  • DAZ0273

tiomono said:
    bluewolf said:
    modok47 said:
    Jubilee has no fox movie tie in's. MPQ probably can do just about any marvel character they want within the guidelines and restrictions on marvel.

Doing a cable or deadpool release at or around the time of the deadpool 2 would probably be HEAVILY frowned upon by marvel is not all out restricted and MPQ seems to have one of if not the best marvel gaming relationships I've seen. Heck Peggy cap made it to the comic book world.

Comics and movies aren't equal, at one point it was pretty clear that marvel didn't want ANY mutants or xmen used in anything, they've kind of eased up on that a bit. I haven't seen an official marvel promotion of any kind for deadpool so I'm pretty sure they aren't aboard for it at all.

I imagine any promotion of Deadpool 2 at this time would definitely been seen as counter-productive as it is likely it will displace Infinity War at the box office this coming weekend.
  • laughingMAN
    laughingMAN Posts: 65 Match Maker
    @Brigby does her black proc for every hit of 5* Spidey's green, or just once for the entire attack?
  • Basepuzzler
    Basepuzzler Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    bluewolf said:

I think her appeal factor is going to depend on what one already has 5*s.  If one already has a champed Gambit and GladiThor, she is fairly worthless.  Why would I ever substitute her for GladiThor?  His Yellow protects everyone, not just heals one person and their Reds cancel out.  Give me his green over her passive black any day of the week.

You can call her a 5* but she is a 4* in a Tiffany's jewelry box.  The power set really is not good enough, IMHO, to be a 5* no matter how popular or unpopular she may be as a Marvel character.
    Have to disagree with this.  Okoye boosts friendly power damage and you listed the 2 5’s who are best at firing powers repeatedly.  She’ll be very useful as a 3rd with those 2, or with just gambit for pvp, or just Thor for pve. 

Not strong enough to dethrone Gambit in pvp of course, but good enough to use with gambit in pvp at least.  And at first glance would be tougher on D by a small margin since the damage boost starts right away instead of only at 50%.  
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,246 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    Note that Thor’s passive tile destruction will not trigger Okoye’s passive, so no super double dipping there, but she will tank for him in some colors depending on their levels. At least red and black, and her match damage is higher than his overall.

Of course, one’s current roster will determine her value, but geez:  I am getting super bored of running GamThor over and over and over. And fighting them over and over and over.  I just hope someone comes along that shakes things up.  It’s no wonder some players are heading for the exits.

And it is somewhat obligatory to point out that many players, who don’t have Classic 5’s mostly covered, will never finish them or take many years to do so. Your best access to 5’s is through Latests.  The Classic pool is comically diluted with a soon-to-be 0.68% chance of pulling a specific 5 (once GRRR goes to Classics).
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards
    Have to disagree with this.  Okoye boosts friendly power damage and you listed the 2 5’s who are best at firing powers repeatedly.  She’ll be very useful as a 3rd with those 2, or with just gambit for pvp, or just Thor for pve. 

Not strong enough to dethrone Gambit in pvp of course, but good enough to use with gambit in pvp at least.  And at first glance would be tougher on D by a small margin since the damage boost starts right away instead of only at 50%.  
    Should have been more specific.  I agree she might be a worthy third but how often do you need a third?  2/3 of the time in PVP and PVE you need two and she definitely doesn't replace either a champed Gambit or a champed GladiThor.  And, is she actually better than running Chavez with GamThor?  Personally, I don't think so.
  • Basepuzzler
    Basepuzzler Posts: 180 Tile Toppler

Should have been more specific.  I agree she might be a worthy third but how often do you need a third?  2/3 of the time in PVP and PVE you need two and she definitely doesn't replace either a champed Gambit or a champed GladiThor.  And, is she actually better than running Chavez with GamThor?  Personally, I don't think so.
    I still use rocket/gamora/thanos whenever I try to go fast so I suppose it doesn’t matter either way until cl10 comes out