Please stop blaming the Devs

Comments

• tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    NeonBlue said:
    Straycat said:
    JHawkInc said:
    At no point is a lack of communication an excuse for toxic behavior.
    And at no point is toxic communication an excuse for a lack of communication with your paying customers.
    Waiters must love you. Spending money doesn't give anyone a pass for their behavior. They communicate what they need to, updates and changes and such. Everything beyond that is at their discretion.
    VIP rewards don't list communication as a perk
    Well, if the waiter brings us the wrong order, and then ignores us for the rest of the meal, they're incompetent, and I would approach their managers. We expect wait staff to have a certain level of professionalism, just as they expect us to have a certain level of courtesy.
    The difference is that the "waiters" are not bringing you the "food" you ordered. In this instance it's not their job to. You are being served what product they choose for free. FREE! In the hopes you will like it or want it enough to continue to use it and maybe even give them some money for it.

So yelling at them for giving you free stuff you didn't ask for is ridiculous. Yelling at them for not fixing what you feel is broken (when you are viewing the problem without seeing the whole picture) is ridiculous.

They could communicate better on these forums for sure. Being hostile over a lack of communication on every aspect of their design choices however is ridiculous.
  • NeonBlue
    NeonBlue Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    Can you list down what the problems or concerns you expect them to address and for how long have those problems not being addressed? For example you could write something like this:

1. Problem 1. Happening for 3 months
    2. Problem 2. Happening for 6 months

Etc.
    Well, if I'm getting the ball rolling,

1. (~6 months): Balance. They have not attempted to balance a character since they nerfed 3* Gambit and failed to nerf 5* Gambit. Other balance issues are slightly less controversial, like G/G/M. 

2. (1-2 months): Steam UI. They have said they do not intend to revert Steam UI despite a consensus among Steam players that they should. They have said Steam does not make enough money for them to care. Despite being an "excuse," we've essentially been told we don't matter and that it's okay for them to ignore us since we're not as profitable as mobile.

3. (at least 3 months): Lack of new events/recycled content/missed opportunities. For a Marvel game, we expect a certain amount of new content, especially during hallmark periods (such as release of IW). As a player base, we've come to expect a certain level of recycled content during uneventful periods. However, we also expect that when there are big Marvel events coming up, the devs of MPQ will respond in kind. For instance, the Wakanda event was a step in the right direction, but the nodes defaulted to the same Dark Avengers and teams we fight in every other story event.

• NeonBlue
    edited May 2018
    tiomono said:
    NeonBlue said:
    Straycat said:
    JHawkInc said:
    And at no point is toxic communication an excuse for a lack of communication with your paying customers.
    Waiters must love you. Spending money doesn't give anyone a pass for their behavior. They communicate what they need to, updates and changes and such. Everything beyond that is at their discretion.
    Well, if the waiter brings us the wrong order, and then ignores us for the rest of the meal, they're incompetent, and I would approach their managers. We expect wait staff to have a certain level of professionalism, just as they expect us to have a certain level of courtesy.
    The difference is that the "waiters" are not bringing you the "food" you ordered. In this instance it's not their job to. You are being served what product they choose for free. FREE! In the hopes you will like it or want it enough to continue to use it and maybe even give them some money for it.

So yelling at them for giving you free stuff you didn't ask for is ridiculous. Yelling at them for not fixing what you feel is broken (when you are viewing the problem without seeing the whole picture) is ridiculous.

They could communicate better on these forums for sure. Being hostile over a lack of communication on every aspect of their design choices however is ridiculous.
    No product is free. They are designed to encourage/coerce players through alternative monetization. Are you honestly making the claim that F2P games are free from criticism because we can play for free? Did I suddenly get transported to 2003? Going F2P isn't altruism, it's a business strategy, just as selling you a retail game for full price with less monetization options is a business strategy. You do realize that there are thousands upon thousands of F2P games, right? What, did all of these companies suddenly grow a conscience and decide to give stuff away for free?

I hate to break it to you, but did you know that when a store gives free samples, it's not because they're super good people. Also, does that mean if I do decide to pay, I now have a right to complain? Because I've bought VIP for 4 months straight, and bought all of the SCL packs + the $20 HP sale. I've spent ~$150, so now I'm a paying customer, and yet they don't fix stuff I want them to fix. Unless you think that all my purchases were actually "donations"
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Can you list down what the problems or concerns you expect them to address and for how long have those problems not being addressed? For example you could write something like this:

Etc.
    This needs its own thread. @HoundofShadow
  • Katai
    Katai Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    When people talk about "The Devs", the "Management, Sales/Marketing, and/or other bean counters" are included in that set.  They are ALL responsible for the game's design, and they ALL should be have accountability on the game's success.
  • tiomono
    NeonBlue said:
    tiomono said:
    NeonBlue said:
    Straycat said:
    JHawkInc said:

No product is free. They are designed to encourage/coerce players through alternative monetization. Are you honestly making the claim that F2P games are free from criticism because we can play for free? Did I suddenly get transported to 2003? Going F2P isn't altruism, it's a business strategy, just as selling you a retail game for full price with less monetization options is a business strategy. You do realize that there are thousands upon thousands of F2P games, right? What, did all of these companies suddenly grow a conscience and decide to give stuff away for free?

I hate to break it to you, but did you know that when a store gives free samples, it's not because they're super good people. Also, does that mean if I do decide to pay, I now have a right to complain? Because I've bought VIP for 4 months straight, and bought all of the SCL packs + the $20 HP sale. I've spent ~$150, so now I'm a paying customer, and yet they don't fix stuff I want them to fix. Unless you think that all my purchases were actually "donations"
    Your not breaking anything to me. I know they want you to spend. But do you have to spend to play this game? No, so it's free.

And you got exactly what you paid for when you made your purchases. They were not donations, it was your money for digital goods in the exact amount you paid for. You made purchases with your knowledge of what you were getting and decided it was worth it because of your enjoyment of the game. 

A game company like this has the right to change or not change anything about their product on the fly as they see fit. We all should know this by now. So any purchase or decision you make in the game should factor that in.

Even if they gut a feature and nerf it to the ground or even remove it entirely. That is their decision. If a player cannot live with that they should not spend. If a player wants to claim that because they gave the game money now they have the right to insult the makers of the game because something is not how they want it, that is silly.
  • tiomono

Etc.
    I appreciated your threads on strange sights door one issues. Maybe if we all head to the bugs section and bump issues every 2 weeks to update fixed or still broken it would give better insights to whoever from the game that looks at that atuff.
  • NeonBlue
    tiomono said:
    NeonBlue said:
    tiomono said:
    NeonBlue said:
    Straycat said:
    JHawkInc said:

Your not breaking anything to me. I know they want you to spend. But do you have to spend to play this game? No, so it's free.

And you got exactly what you paid for when you made your purchases. They were not donations, it was your money for digital goods in the exact amount you paid for. You made purchases with your knowledge of what you were getting and decided it was worth it because of your enjoyment of the game. 

A game company like this has the right to change or not change anything about their product on the fly as they see fit. We all should know this by now. So any purchase or decision you make in the game should factor that in.

Even if they gut a feature and nerf it to the ground or even remove it entirely. That is their decision. If a player cannot live with that they should not spend. If a player wants to claim that because they gave the game money now they have the right to insult the makers of the game because something is not how they want it, that is silly.
    So somehow, it's a game company's decision to do whatever they want, but it's not a customer's decision to complain and want it to change? You're saying customers have no voice because you aren't required to pay up front? By all rights then, game reviews for F2P games should all be invalid, because the opinions of players don't matter if they don't charge an entry fee.

Also, keep in mind that I'm not advocating for attacking the developers on a personal level. I think people who do that are degenerates. I have thus far criticized only their decisions as a whole, and how their inaction makes them weak developers. However, just like a customer has the opportunity to write a review of a product they are unsatisfied with, I have the right to criticize the direction the creators have decided to take the game, and I have the right to expect them to change things based on my criticisms. Whether or not they do so is up to them, but telling me that I don't deserve to say anything about the product I invested in because I'm not its creator is ignoring all of modern consumerism. 
  • tiomono
    edited May 2018
    NeonBlue said: 
    tiomono said:
    NeonBlue said:
    tiomono said:
    NeonBlue said:
    Straycat said:
    JHawkInc said:

So somehow, it's a game company's decision to do whatever they want, but it's not a customer's decision to complain and want it to change? You're saying customers have no voice because you aren't required to pay up front? By all rights then, game reviews for F2P games should all be invalid, because the opinions of players don't matter if they don't charge an entry fee.

Also, keep in mind that I'm not advocating for attacking the developers on a personal level. I think people who do that are degenerates. I have thus far criticized only their decisions as a whole, and how their inaction makes them weak developers. However, just like a customer has the opportunity to write a review of a product they are unsatisfied with, I have the right to criticize the direction the creators have decided to take the game, and I have the right to expect them to change things based on my criticisms. Whether or not they do so is up to them, but telling me that I don't deserve to say anything about the product I invested in because I'm not its creator is ignoring all of modern consumerism. 
    Where did I say you have no right to state what you do not like, or have no voice? Internet reading comprehension....

I periodically forget not to get into these kind of  conversations.

**Removed inappropriate reference - Ducky
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2018
    NeonBlue said:
    So, some people mistrust them, and now they have a free pass to not listen to us? We're asking them to do things because that is our prerogative as players, and their job is to respond. This relationship is the same across all live service games. They have chosen not to address our concerns for a significant amount of time, so just as they have chosen to ignore us, we have chosen to call them out. Expecting them to throw us a bone at least once every few months doesn't seem like an unreasonable or herculean task.

And yes, it would be onto the next problem. Imagine if you had an apartment, and the devs were the landlords. If there were a bunch of problems, like no water, no electricity, problems with heating, and your landlord refused to fix them because it would be too much of a hassle for them, would you accept that? As long as MPQ has problems, players will always ask for a fix. It's the devs responsibility to address them, regardless of how nice we are to them. 
    You are entitled to water, electricity, heating, in your apartment lease.
    You are entitled to pve, pvp, and the store. You are not entitled to anything beyond that. Really, we aren't entitled to the game at all. They could shut it down whenever, and I don't know how much they are required to refund.

You have a right to criticize, absolutely, but you shouldn't expect them to change accordingly
  • NeonBlue
    So you said this:

And I took "ridiculous" to mean I shouldn't have the right to do it. Unless you had a different message and meaning for the word
  • tiomono
    edited May 2018
    NeonBlue said:
    So you said this:

And I took "ridiculous" to mean I shouldn't have the right to do it. Unless you had a different message and meaning for the word
    Don't focus on ridiculous.

Yelling as in overly aggressve and hostile. By all means let them know what frustrates you or is broken, or what diminishes your interest in their product. But treat them with a common decency you should give to another person. That is my point.
  • NeonBlue
    Straycat said:
    NeonBlue said:
    So, some people mistrust them, and now they have a free pass to not listen to us? We're asking them to do things because that is our prerogative as players, and their job is to respond. This relationship is the same across all live service games. They have chosen not to address our concerns for a significant amount of time, so just as they have chosen to ignore us, we have chosen to call them out. Expecting them to throw us a bone at least once every few months doesn't seem like an unreasonable or herculean task.

And yes, it would be onto the next problem. Imagine if you had an apartment, and the devs were the landlords. If there were a bunch of problems, like no water, no electricity, problems with heating, and your landlord refused to fix them because it would be too much of a hassle for them, would you accept that? As long as MPQ has problems, players will always ask for a fix. It's the devs responsibility to address them, regardless of how nice we are to them. 
    You are entitled to water, electricity, heating, in your apartment lease.
    You are entitled to pve, pvp, and the store. You are not entitled to anything beyond that. Really, we aren't entitled to the game at all. They could shut it down whenever, and I don't know how much they are required to refund.

You have a right to criticize, absolutely, but you shouldn't expect them to change accordingly
    You are 100% correct on this. However, as long as the playerbase perceives problems and issues they want the devs to address, they will continue to bring it up until it is addressed. If players feel like they're concerns are being ignored, they will continue to criticize. This kind of feedback is inherent to being a game developer. If they don't want to see the criticism, they can continue to ignore the forums. 

Again, I am 1000% against people who attack the devs personally, but asking the devs for changes and fixes to their game is part of a game's growth. People have two options: pressure the devs with constant feedback, or quit. If we don't at least attempt to consistently show our displeasure at their current direction, then we've got no chance at building a better game.
  • NeonBlue
    edited May 2018
    tiomono said:
    NeonBlue said:
    So you said this:

Yelling as in overly aggressve and hostile. By all means let them know what frustrates you or is broken, or what diminishes your interest in their product. But treat them with a common decency you should give to another person. That is my point.
    Have I been yelling? I think in general, my posts have been detailed criticisms of their decisions. I've attempted to use reasoning in all of my posts thus far, and I have not once slung an insult at a developer. The worst I've done is say how their decisions indicate they are handling this with incompetence (or greed).  If this is yelling, what would you have me do instead?
  • tiomono
    NeonBlue said:
    tiomono said:
    NeonBlue said:
    So you said this:

Have I been yelling? I think in general, my posts have been detailed criticisms of their decisions. I've attempted to use reasoning in all of my posts thus far, and I have not once slung an insult at a developer. The worst I've done is say how their decisions indicate they are handling this with incompetence (or greed).  If this is yelling, what would you have me do instead?
    You have not been yelling. Other people have. I was replying  to the discussion line that you were the last to comment on. My comments on yelling were not really to you personally but towards the topic of discussion as a whole. I probably should not have quoted you I guess. My apologies.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    tiomono said:

Etc.
    I appreciated your threads on strange sights door one issues. Maybe if we all head to the bugs section and bump issues every 2 weeks to update fixed or still broken it would give better insights to whoever from the game that looks at that atuff.

That's against the forum rules.  You can't just bump a thread unless you have constructive to add, and "still broken" isn't considered a sufficiently meaningful addition.

And you're not allowed to comment on a thread more than x days old because whatever the thread was about may have changed.  No one checks whether or not that's actually the case, it's a blanket assertion, the thread gets closed, you have to create a new one.

I'm happy to be corrected by a mod if either of these statements are inaccurate.

• tiomono
    tiomono said:

Etc.

That's against the forum rules.  You can't just bump a thread unless you have constructive to add, and "still broken" isn't considered a sufficiently meaningful addition.

And you're not allowed to comment on a thread more than x days old because whatever the thread was about may have changed.  No one checks whether or not that's actually the case, it's a blanket assertion, the thread gets closed, you have to create a new one.

I'm happy to be corrected by a mod if either of these statements are inaccurate.

If it's 30 days old you are supposed to start a new discussion. I guess if the issue is something you can recreate daily just saying you had it happen to you again would be ok? 
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    tiomono said:
    tiomono said:

Etc.

If it's 30 days old you are supposed to start a new discussion. I guess if the issue is something you can recreate daily just saying you had it happen to you again would be ok? 

I suspect not, because it's just repeating "still broken" and not adding anything new.  But I think it depends on the mods, whatever the current guidelines are, and how they're interpreted.
  • purplemur
    purplemur Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    to the OP: That was insightful, thank you for pulling back the curtain and showing us what it's like and sharing your experience. I didn't know what a day in the life was like for a developer. That was kinda like Mr. Rodgers showing me how crayons were made.
    I think I hear you saying that as a developer it's not your fault for everything that goes wrong, but the title "dev" is stuck to you and the work you do. I certainly don't want to heap false persecution onto hard working technicians, administrative professionals, or Art dept. employees who all do good work in order to produce quality product.
    Thanks also for a good lesson. I will not use devs like a slur anymore. I will strive to do better about distinctions of whom my pejorative observations are directed at. More importantly; I will try and do more distinct positive praise. At the end of it MPQ is the best in it's class of match 3's. It's Marvel goes deep, there is significant original content: see Peggy Carter. Make mine MPQ!

Toxic is bluster and nonsense. The forum is awesome. quit hatin and smear campaigning against the forum. Quit looking down from the high horse on the high road to hypocrisy. People are nice and respectful, and helpful and smart and funny. The mods do they job (and how!) and the Chairpersons keep the sum total on the up and up.
    go read yelp reviews to understand entitled. 
    Ever had food poisoning from the shrimp tempura? ever bought something and its just cheap tinykitty, or already broken in the package? ever been shook down at the airport for concessionary tax? Uber peak fare? 
    Just because a customer complains does not = toxic.
    Just because a customer complains does not mean they aren't coming back.