Please stop blaming the Devs

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have coworkers with limited hand functionality. It is definitely a problem when you work in an office at times. It is possible to work around it at times of course, but it makes sense to outline the physical expectations of an applicant. It's not like you can assume every single applicant for a position like that will be fully able-bodied.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    To me developers are the people who develop the game. That includes everyone from coders, to programmers, to artists (actually I have no beef with you), to decision-makers, to anyone basically who contributes to the continued development of the game. 

Apologies if I’ve been using it wrong. 

No I won’t stop using it. 

So I guess I take back my apology. 
  • madoctor
    madoctor Posts: 292 Mover and Shaker
    Well now that doesn't make sense. Someone from Marvel told the studio to do the content that was done for the biggest MCU tie-in of the decade?
  • MysterB
    MysterB Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
    edited May 2018
    This game is quickly dying out imo. Hopefully Disney will step in and save what could be a magnificent game not hidden behind paywalls. Wishful thinking..... Funny enough there are career openings all of a sudden for this game.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    Seriously, for those who said MPQ is dying because they have a job opening, have you ever worked before? Mega corporation like Google, Microsoft, Blizzard have openings for various positions all year round. Does it mean all those companies are dying? 
  • MysterB
    MysterB Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
    edited May 2018
    Seriously, for those who said MPQ is dying because they have a job opening, have you ever worked before? Mega corporation like Google, Microsoft, Blizzard have openings for various positions all year round. Does it mean all those companies are dying? 
    You’re reading into what’s written too much. It’s just my opinion. Fact checks and basic business etiquette isn’t needed to see that this game is getting old quick. Again, opinion. Don’t get all worked up over what you read on the Internet. 
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Because some of the people that have been playing for a long time have seen the skips and dips in player activity.  Right now we are in a big dip.  I would think this might be the biggest one we have ever had on the competitive side of this game.  If you want to talk causal play, well go for it.  Causal play does not keep the game going.  It is crazies like me and others that play at this level that keep the game going. If we do not have and maintain a competitive level in this game, I do fear for what will happen. 
  • Jexman
    Jexman Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    I agree that it's dying. I don't get why Marvel is so stingy with its IP; letting there be new PVEs for IW makes sense to me. But they are, and so the game will die. Maybe Demiurge doesn't want to pay Marvel enough. Anyway, it's just a match 3, RIP.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    I explained something to a friend in a private comment today that I think fits in, here. But first I want to say that I'm fully cognizant of the general unimportance in the world of this or any other game. Except! These things are super important in the aggregate. Humans need some fun in our lives. It's completely OK to find it in a game, or sex, or collecting fine wine, or cooking, or travel, or absolutely whatever satisfies your need for some fun (assuming, obviously, that it isn't hurting anyone -- that whole caveat). So here's what I said to my friend:

I deleted the game today for personal reasons. I'll look in on this board for a while, probably, just because I enjoy a lot of the personalities here. At some point I might pick the game up again, too. Who knows? I kind of doubt it (see, personal reasons, lol), though, because my frustrations with its development have kind of soured my enthusiasm. At least for now. I'm tired/tiring of always chasing the shiny new thing and not getting a sense of real satisfaction for having achieved anything; it feels like running on a treadmill as opposed to taking a good hike which, while I end up back where I began, is still a real journey with a goal set and achieved. Does that make any sense?
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    So... whom else should i blame for insanely overpowered 5* Gambit who can kill my two 5*s on his own?
  • NeonBlue
    NeonBlue Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    veny said:
    So... whom else should i blame for insanely overpowered 5* Gambit who can kill my two 5*s on his own?
    I've never seen developers so afraid of their own shadow as to let something like Gambit, who they've acknowledged as a problem, go unchecked for five months now. Will mentioned in another thread. In the Q&A, he said this about balancing:

"The basic tradeoff we face there is between making lots of changes to characters and having a richer metagame, and being cautious and slow about changes to characters and sacrificing some variety. We've been on the cautious side of that spectrum lately because we think that makes the average player happier, but we could be wrong about that tradeoff." 

The problem is, with balancing you will always piss someone off. That's never going to change. Developers don't balance because they want to make everyone happy, they do it to keep interest in the game. By changing what is strong, you encourage players to adapt to a changing environment, and you accomplish what the devs of this game said they want to accomplish but never effectively do: reward roster diversity. The old adage, "you'll never succeed unless you try" is apt here. The devs somehow think that trying out changes that might fail would spell the end of the game, so they don't try at all. Fortunately, numbers adjustments is not like writing the ten commandments, you aren't carving it in stone forever, and you are able to adjust it in the next update. It seems like they are so afraid of negative feedback for a couple of weeks that they are frozen in fear and refuse any risk of trying new things because they'd rather do the "safe" thing and release subpar characters every two weeks.

• HoundofShadow
    As far as 5* Gambit is concerned, Will did publicly admit that the "nerf" to Gambit wasn't getting the type of response they expected. Brigby did mentioned that 5* Gambit is a hot issue. They did mention that 5* Gambit is on in the list of development task to be done. I believe that they might have to work with Marvel to make sure that Marvel are fine with the characters' abilities as well. It could be they did not left things unchecked, but they are limited by time or manpower, or limited by what tasks they can prioritise. I guess that support might have a higher priority than 5* Gambit at this moment, so it could be another few months before 5* Gambit moved up the priority list.
  • NeonBlue
    edited May 2018
    As far as 5* Gambit is concerned, Will did publicly admit that the "nerf" to Gambit wasn't getting the type of response they expected. Brigby did mentioned that 5* Gambit is a hot issue. They did mention that 5* Gambit is on in the list of development task to be done. I believe that they might have to work with Marvel to make sure that Marvel are fine with the characters' abilities as well. It could be they did not left things unchecked, but they are limited by time or manpower, or limited by what tasks they can prioritise. I guess that support might have a higher priority than 5* Gambit at this moment, so it could be another few months before 5* Gambit moved up the priority list.
    I think the vocal playerbase has a problem with the ordering of the dev's priorities, and as you said, how supports have become more of a concern than balancing the broken. Supports have been generally underwhelming, and poorly implemented (look at the top thread explaining the infinity stone reward structure). However, new content such as supports generates more player interest than a balance patch, so devoting the most time to it is expected. I guess the issue is that these decisions seem purely motivated by profit at the cost of enjoyment for the existing players. Over the years, these devs have lost a lot of goodwill among the playerbase with how they make decisions and respond to oversights
  • HoundofShadow
    edited May 2018
    If this game is made by an indie game company, I believe that they might be able to solve problems much faster since they can make "independent decision", subjected to Marvel's approval(?). Since the Dev are working with or for listed companies (Marvel, D3, Sega) , there are probably more processes, meetings or orders that need to be followed. 
  • NeonBlue
    If this game is made by an indie game company, I believe that they might be able to solve problems much faster since they can make "independent decision", subjected to Marvel's approval(?). Since the Dev are working with or for listed companies (Marvel, D3, Sega) , there are probably more processes, meetings or orders that need to be followed. 
    If this game works like other marvel licenses, I don't think Marvel micromanages everything. In another game that has since shut down, Marvel Heroes, it seems like the devs were given quite a bit of freedom as long as it met certain metrics and marketing demands. There are way too many Marvel games for Marvel people to oversee the day-to-day. It's likely limited to regular reports and asking for permission in portraying aspects of the IP in a certain way. They may have obligations for marketing upcoming certain Marvel titles, but I think the devs have control over monetizing and balance.  
  • HoundofShadow
    edited May 2018
    In a recent interview, this question was posted: 
    Dtoid: How involved was Marvel, and how do you decide which heroes to use?

Josh:
     We review each character, not only as long-time Marvel fans but also researching their abilities based on how Marvel is using them, then we write out the powers and decide the star level. After we have written out the paper design and sketch out the art, we work with Marvel to make sure the characters are in line with how they designed them. It’s a collaborative effort with all teams involved, and it’s great to work with Marvel as we get designs, videos and more to help with character creation.

I'm going to leave it to you to interpret how involved Marvel is.

• NeonBlue
    In a recent interview, this question was posted: 
    Dtoid: How involved was Marvel, and how do you decide which heroes to use?

Josh:
     We review each character, not only as long-time Marvel fans but also researching their abilities based on how Marvel is using them, then we write out the powers and decide the star level. After we have written out the paper design and sketch out the art, we work with Marvel to make sure the characters are in line with how they designed them. It’s a collaborative effort with all teams involved, and it’s great to work with Marvel as we get designs, videos and more to help with character creation.

I'm going to leave it to you to interpret how involved Marvel is.

This confirms my point I think. Marvel is there to make sure MPQs representation of the IP is in line with their own, but when it comes to the game itself, I'm pretty sure that's all Demi
  • Qubort
    Qubort Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    edited May 2018

This game isn't as big as you think. There's a lot of folks wearing multiple hats to produce this. Overall they do a fine job, but I'll tinykitty on anyone I choose.

//Removed Inappropriate Content -Brigby

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    Qubort said:

This game isn't as big as you think. There's a lot of folks wearing multiple hats to produce this. Overall they do a fine job, but I'll tinykittty on anyone I choose.

Why do you feel the need to "tinykitty on" anyone?

My objection is to the toxicity. Too many people on here are just plain mean.