MPQ Sneak Peek: May 2018 Edition *Updated (5/30/18)

Options

Comments

• kennn712
    kennn712 Posts: 69 Match Maker
    Options
    Could it be a 3* Okoye/5* Spidey release?
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,305 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hey, did anyone know Deadpool 2 is in theaters this week?  Anyone?  Anyone?

*checks Events.....nope
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,154 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Why are we convinced Okoye is a 5*, because she's not awarded in the PvP? If Okoye being a 5* means Iron Spider is a 4*, then so be it. We don't need more Spider-Men in the 5* tier, but the 4* tier only has one, and Miles —even after his rework — is very lackluster. EDIT: I guess there's Spider-Gwen and Spider-Woman, but I'm specifically jonesing for a Peter Parker.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bluewolf said:

*checks Events.....nope
    They haven't given any fanfare for non-MCU releases in the past, why would it be any different this time around?
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Smart80 said:
    So the insignificant sidekick Okoye is really gonna be a 5*? Well, its not another 5pidey, thats something... but even quicker after the previous 5release and a character that really doesnt have anything super or special....

im not mad, im just very .......
    4* Jubilee was released during an alliance boss event, so it doesn't automatically follow that the next character release will be a 5*.  We could still end up with three 5* Spideys.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    Options
    If Okoye is a 5*, then it's breaking the typical cycle of 5445, isn't it? I'm guessing that her colour would consist of passive red, black and purple because both 4*BP and Shuri have active red abilities, and also to make it a rainbow team. I thought they usually release  preview of new character on a Tuesday? I think Okoye might be the real counter to 5* Gambit. Gambit make use of kinetic energy to charge his cards while Okoye's Sonic Spear are able to absorb kinetic energy.  >:)

Currently there are three 4* spiders and 2 5* spiders. One of the 5* spideys got a feeder. So, another 5* won't be a surprise?
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Marvel Puzzle Quest Sneak Peek: Upcoming In May, 2018
    (*Important note: Anything listed below is subject to change before release. We will try to update any changes in a timely manner, but please keep in mind the info below is not guaranteed.)
    I will await official confirmation Before concluding Okoye is a fivestar. It would certainly explain why Wakanda was run Before the release and not as the release event though.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    Options
    If Okoye is a 5*, then it's breaking the typical cycle of 5445, isn't it?

*snip*

Currently there are three 4* spiders and 2 5* spiders. One of the 5* spideys got a feeder. So, another 5* won't be a surprise?
    I'm also more concerned about a 5* release this week would be a change to the 445 cycle.  Wether it's Okoye or Iron Spider or whoever, I'm far more alarmed about the unexpected cadence change if that is what this is.

To your other comment you're comparing apples and oranges.  You say 3 4* spiders and 2 5* spiders, that's not super genuine IMO.  There are are arguably 5 4* 'spiders' if you want to get technical as I'd count both Venoms, but there is only one Spider-Man and he's not even a Peter Parker. 

Also none of the 4* 'spiders' lock out using any of the others.  However both 5* Spider-Mans cannot be played at once (and presumably the new one would lock out the other two).  However adding a 4* Peter Parker version of Spider-Man would allow for all the 4* spiders to still play together as Miles and Peter (and Gwen and Jessica and Eddie and Flash...) are different people that have been side by side in the comics.  Both the existing 5* Spider-Mans are Spider-Man and both are Peter Parker also... 

If they add an Iron Spider and truly character about repeat characters 4* is the obvious choice.  Sadly I don't think they care about that as we have multiple cases of character duplication now and frankly I think it's tinykitty.
  • Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    Options
    They could release a 4* Okoye during the boss event and give 3 covers as the Alliance progression rewards just like the 4* Jubilee release.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    broll said:
    If Okoye is a 5*, then it's breaking the typical cycle of 5445, isn't it?

*snip*

I'm also more concerned about a 5* release this week would be a change to the 445 cycle.  Wether it's Okoye or Iron Spider or whoever, I'm far more alarmed about the unexpected cadence change if that is what this is.
    It's far from the first time they have deviated from the Schedule. Most recently it was Thor who only had a single fourstar release between him and Gambit. I Think Peter Parker was released early too but then they made up by having Three fourstar releases in a row afterwards. We will see how it plays out.
  • Smart80
    Smart80 Posts: 748 Critical Contributor
    Options
    JHawkInc said:
    bluewolf said:

*checks Events.....nope
    They haven't given any fanfare for non-MCU releases in the past, why would it be any different this time around?
    Besides Deadpool Daily and DPvMPQ you mean?
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,490 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Here's a release list with the 5* characters in boldface. I'll put it behind a spoiler tag to keep this clean.
    Silver Surfer (Skyrider)    9/10/2015
    Iceman (All-New X-Men)    9/17/2015
    Wolverine (Old Man Logan)    10/5/2015
    Cyclops (Classic)    10/8/2015
    Red Hulk (Thunderbolt Ross)    10/15/2015
    X-23 (All-New Wolverine)    10/29/2015
    Jean Grey (Phoenix)    11/12/2015
    Ghost Rider (Johnny Blaze)    11/26/2015
    The Hulk (Totally Awesome)    12/3/2015
    Miles Morales (Spider-Man)    12/17/2015
    Venom (Eddie Brock)    12/24/2015
    Spider-Man (Back in Black)    1/14/2016
    Nova (Sam Alexander)    1/28/2016
    Spider-Gwen (Gwen Stacy)    2/11/2016
    Green Goblin (Norman Osborn)    2/25/2016
    Quake (Daisy Johnson)    3/10/2016
    The Punisher (MAX)    3/28/2016
    Drax (the Destroyer)    4/21/2016
    Winter Soldier (Bucky Barnes)    4/28/2016
    Steve Rogers (First Avenger)    5/5/2016
    Iron Man (Mark XLVI)    5/5/2016
    War Machine (James Rhodes)    5/19/2016
    Kate Bishop (Hawkeye)    6/5/2016
    Moon Knight (Marc Spector)    6/20/2016
    Peggy Carter (Captain America)    7/4/2016
    The Hulk (Bruce Banner)    7/14/2016
    Wasp (Janet Van Dyne)    7/31/2016
    Black Bolt (Inhuman King)    8/11/2016
    Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew)    8/29/2016
    Black Widow (Natasha Romanoff)    9/8/2016
    Luke Cage (Power Man)    9/26/2016
    Gwenpool (Gwen Poole)    10/10/2016
    Blade (Modern)    10/24/2016
    Doctor Strange (Sorcerer Supreme)    11/7/2016
    Venom (Agent Venom)    11/21/2016
    Medusa (Inhuman Queen)    12/4/2016
    Thanos (The Mad Titan)    12/27/2016
    Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers)    1/9/2017
    Riri Williams (Ironheart)    1/21/2017
    Black Panther (Civil War)    1/28/2017
    Mordo (Master of the Mystic Arts)    2/13/2017
    Agent Coulson (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.)    2/27/2017
    Hawkeye (Clint Barton)    3/13/2017
    Iron Fist (Danny Rand)    3/27/2017
    Cloak & Dagger (Classic)    4/11/2017
    Star Lord (Awesome Mix Vol. 2)    5/1/2017
    Rocket & Groot (AM v2)    5/8/2017
    Gamora (AM v2)    5/22/2017
    Doctor Octopus (Classic)    6/4/2017
    Sandman (Flint Marko)    6/19/2017
    Spider-Man (Peter Parker)    7/14/2017
    Vulture (Adrian Toomes)    7/31/2017
    Mockingbird (Bobbi Morse)    8/7/2017
    Yondu (AM v2)    8/14/2017
    Daredevil (Matt Murdock)    8/28/2017
    Lockjaw (Royal Bulldog)    9/11/2017
    Rogue (Classic)    10/2/2017
    Gambit (Classic)    10/9/2017
    Nightcrawler (Classic)    10/23/2017
    Thor (Gladiator)    11/6/2017
    The Hulk (The Main Event)    11/20/2017
    Nico Minoru (Runaways)    12/4/2017
    Archangel (Classic)    12/18/2017
    America Chavez (Young Avengers)    12/25/2017
    Kraven the Hunter (Sergei Kravinoff)    1/15/2018
    Ghost Rider (Robbie Reyes)    1/29/2018
    Black Panther (King of Wakanda)    2/12/2018
    Shuri (Master Engineer)    2/27/2018
    Jessica Jones (Alias Investigations)    3/12/2018
    Valkyrie (Asgardian Warrior)    3/26/2018
    Jubilee (Uncanny X-Men)    4/9/2018
    Captain America (Infinity War)    4/23/2018
    Black Widow (Infinity War)    5/7/2018

So yeah, we've had 5-4-5 as recently as Gambit to Thor - this is definitely something that has happened a number of times.  Sometimes they gave us a one week gap off of the normal "every other week" release schedule.  Sometimes there was a two week gap, but other times, such as most recently, there was no gap at all.

• shartattack
    shartattack Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I feel like we had galactus recently.  What about Boss Rush or Sinister Six?
  • shartattack
    shartattack Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    zodiac339 said:
    I feel like we had galactus recently.  What about Boss Rush or Sinister Six?
    The first rule about Boss Rush is, we do not request Boss Rush.
    The second rule about Boss Rush is, we do not request Boss Rush.
    Why? I'm sure they listened to our feedback and adjusted it to be more in line with other boss events
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I will say that if it turns out Iron Spider is a 4* instead of a 5*, they are missing the opportunity to make a Legendary release store of "All the Spiders" as the included 5*s.  :p
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ZeiramMR said:
    I will say that if it turns out Iron Spider is a 4* instead of a 5*, they are missing the opportunity to make a Legendary release store of "All the Spiders" as the included 5*s.  :p
    Yes because it would be great to have a vault with 3 characters that are all mutually exclusive...  I'd love to be the person who dumps my hoard on that vault unaware of it then get 3 5* MMR even though they can only use one at a time.  Sounds fun!
  • Punter1
    Punter1 Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    Looks like maybe a new 5 incoming Thursday.  Hope you have your GRRR covered.  (Squirrel Girl PvP starting Thursday 5/17 should reward covers for the new character if it is a 4*, but is giving Mr Fantastic.)

I hope the new 5 can end King Cajun.  But I always hope that.....

Angel is being rewarded "correctly" in Cover Squirrel as he's the next 3* in line to be PVP feat.

As it's a boss event I wonder if they're delaying the new release 4* PVP until the next one, so Okoye would be a reward on Angel PVP after Squirrel Girl. 

Others have pointed out Jubilee was rewarded in Boss event which was well received and the "normal" schedule would have Okoye be a 4*.  I still think Okoye is more likely 4* and Iron Spider 5* as per earlier predictions.

• madoctor
    madoctor Posts: 292 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Is Okoye going to be a 5*?
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,490 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Punter1 said:
    bluewolf said:
    Looks like maybe a new 5 incoming Thursday.  Hope you have your GRRR covered.  (Squirrel Girl PvP starting Thursday 5/17 should reward covers for the new character if it is a 4*, but is giving Mr Fantastic.)

I hope the new 5 can end King Cajun.  But I always hope that.....

Angel is being rewarded "correctly" in Cover Squirrel as he's the next 3* in line to be PVP feat.

As it's a boss event I wonder if they're delaying the new release 4* PVP until the next one, so Okoye would be a reward on Angel PVP after Squirrel Girl. 

Others have pointed out Jubilee was rewarded in Boss event which was well received and the "normal" schedule would have Okoye be a 4*.  I still think Okoye is more likely 4* and Iron Spider 5* as per earlier predictions.

I kind of feel the reverse - having 3 of the same character in a 24 character tier is just plain awful (5* tier, 1/8th Spider-Man!)  If I was a betting man I'd put it 75/25 Okoye to Iron Spider.  I'm not saying the next 5* absolutely won't be Iron Spider, but I think it's distinctly likely it's Okoye.