2.6 Release Notes *Updated (4/19/18)

Options

Comments

• Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Mburn7 said:
    Brigby just to clarify, this is NOT the full Dominaria Release?  Just Karn and the elves?

Also, what are Karn's Card and Node restrictions?  Knowing that will make a huge difference in whether or not to purchase him.  Knowing what his token does would be helpful as well.
    That's correct. This is not the update that introduces the full Dominaria card set. This is just Karn, the 5 Dominaria cards he comes with, and Llanowar Elves.

Karn can use all colorless cards. In addition, the colors he is able to use depends on if there are color restrictions on the node he's used in. For example, if it is a Blue/Green node restriction, then Karn can use Blue, Green, and Colorless cards.
    I gotta say, I love this idea.  Colorless only would have been cool, but too limiting.  This way is pretty balanced, and seems quite fun.  Tell the devs they get a thumbs up! (provided he actually works, that is).
  • octal9
    octal9 Posts: 593 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Hey Brigby!

What does Karn's Mana Rune leveling curve look like?
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
    Options
    how many mana crystals will Karn cost when in store? 
  • DBJones
    DBJones Posts: 803 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Karn sounds awesome so far! I hope his crystal cost and runes to level aren't crazy high though.

Edit: I also really hope they give him enough deck slots for this mechanic.
  • Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    @Brigby i know I'm nitpicking here but I hope that costly plunder destroy last creature on battlefield - not in hand?
  • Grixis197
    Grixis197 Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Options
    So we are getting Karn then that’s great, just worried about runes how much would it cost  hopefully not too much.
  • Coilbox
    Coilbox Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Do we have an ETA? :3
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Can we have an extra 20 or so deck slots with this shapeshifter?  Seriously though... We need more than 3 deck slots for PWs!
  • Tilwin90
    Tilwin90 Posts: 662 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I can't say I don't dig the idea of Karn as a colorless planeswalker. I was really curious how the team would pull it off. With that being said, the whole "chameleon" planeswalker has pluses and minuses.

+ It will be a great addition for newer players, now having a flexible jolly joker. This is by assuming that he doesn't cost a gazillion of runes to cast.
    + Multicolored brews will be a lot of fun and open up new horizons for us as players. I am less worried about the "overpowered" factor. You see more than bolases around nowadays, since a planeswalker is also a lot about their ability.

- It adds quite a bit of complexity and right now feels like the boundaries of the games are broken (innovation is nice) without being consistent. Kind of like throwing an idea, and then forcing it to work in a way or another is not necessarily good design.
     - A comprehensive set of rules becomes more and more important for this game. I understand paper magic gives the players the responsibility to handle all interactions, while here the game does it for now, but without a set of rules it's becoming impossible to predict if a card is functioning properly or not. These rules will help a lot the design team come with consistent and meaningful game-translations (from paper to MTGPQ) of the cards, as well as development follow predictable rules in implementation!
    - I think there will be a learning curve issue with new players for Karn unless you find a really smart way to introduce this into the game as to be intuitive and easy to "grasp". Funny enough how Karn will be super useful for these players, but also suffers from the complexity trouble.

Just a food for thought, overall looking forward to how things will look after the release :smile:

• Gideon
    Gideon Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    This is an awesome way to do prereleases in MTGPQ. I fully support it . Thank you
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    Options
    babar3355 said:
    Can we have an extra 20 or so deck slots with this shapeshifter?  Seriously though... We need more than 3 deck slots for PWs!
    We should have 6 usable slots with all of our walkers but especially for this guy. 
  • Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    We can safely assume he wont require more runes than Bola. Octagon knows that would be unreasonable.
    The only thing I miss about QB was the ability to hoard enough runes as fast as possible. Other than that, the game has enough content to forgo QB.
    Lack of runes hurt new players the most; they face killer decks at low levels. Given enough runes, vets are more  likely to levelup to 60 to benefit for the PW's end game 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Wait. Let me make sure I understand correctly... you stated "all colorless cards." This doesnt break the standard-legacy boundaries, right? Or would Karn be able to use legacy colorless cards in the standard format?
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jimpark said:
    Wait. Let me make sure I understand correctly... you stated "all colorless cards." This doesnt break the standard-legacy boundaries, right? Or would Karn be able to use legacy colorless cards in the standard format?
    It makes sense that Standard/Legacy still applies.  Karn is powerful, but not THAT powerful (although he does mess with time, so who knows)
  • HomeRn
    HomeRn Posts: 328 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    jimpark said:
    Don't think he can break the legacy/standard barrier - just that he can use any colorless cards that are legal in the format for the event (in addition to whatever colors are used for said event or node in question!).
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    Szamsziel said:
    Brigby i know I'm nitpicking here but I hope that costly plunder destroy last creature on battlefield - not in hand?
    Woops! That's my mistake. I've corrected it to say "the last creature you control" now.
    HomeRn said:
    jimpark said:
    Don't think he can break the legacy/standard barrier - just that he can use any colorless cards that are legal in the format for the event (in addition to whatever colors are used for said event or node in question!).
    Karn's deck will still be bound to the Legacy / Standard restriction.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2018
    Options
    He seems..... interesting.....

I like that he's flexible, though it will make building for him and testing him out maddening. And I'm not sure I'm excited to see 5-color Karns in PvP and Quick Battle events....

But at least his abilities are more reasonable than Bolas. The Immortal Sun is going to be pretty painful for him to face off against, though.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,227 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Looks fantastic. Great job on a tricky-to-implement planeswalker.

I suspect that just like in paper magic, focusing on 2-3 colors will probably net more success than trying for a 5-color strategy. It'll be fun to try, though.

Also glad to see we can finally craft stuff..
  • James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Any indication of when this patch will release, @Brigby ?

Excited to see it hopefully soon.

Thanks!
  • GregDreher
    GregDreher Posts: 100 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Now, the most important question.  How many crystals will Karn cost once he's available in the vault?