Brand New Supports Feature! (4/5/18)

Options

Comments

• Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Brigby said:
    I love new stuff but not when it favors one play style. New supports through PVP season awards and cash bundles. 

Yay, more pay 2 win content!

I wonder why supports weren't added to both story progession and Pvp.
    They'll be available in various vaults and bundles too, so it won't just be through season rewards.
    Bundles means cash store. Vaults mean 1 in 80 or 1 in 300. At say 1.4x progression story mode more people could access the new content.  
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    Options

Super happy to have Korg in the game! Looking forward to the Revolution!

This feature has so much potential to introduce a lot of side characters and artifacts that I hope it proves successful and enriches the overall player experience. Off the top of my head, I would love to see:

Aunt May
    Heimdall
    Asgard
    Shalla-Bal
    Zenn-La
    the Ultimate Nullifier*
    the Cosmic Cube*
    Hydra Bob
    Muramasa blade
    Cerebro
    Sauron
    Forge
    Gateway
    Castle Doom
    Uatu the Watcher
    the Infinity Gauntlet*
    Peter Parker's camera

That's it for now, but excited to try it out! 

*Warning: Potentially overpowered and game breaking. But still!

I was just thinking of the Gauntlet myself. Would be cool indeed. But actually a new event could be implemented on this. They could call it Infinity War or something and it could be a community based event. The Gauntlet could be the item everybody is fighting for, and would award some bonus to the fight. The community would be split into 2 halfs based on what team they want to play in: Heroes vs Villains. When Villains have more points they would have the Gauntlet. When heroes have more points they take over the Gauntlet. Whoever have the Gauntlet would have bonuses during that time: more ISO, more credits, things like that.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Aha! Clearly, Kitty Pryde hasn't been introduced yet simply because they need to create a Lockheed support!

Likewise this is why we've been waiting for Dazzler. We needed a Discoball support!
  • Simplicius
    Simplicius Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    Options
    This looks like a really cool feature and I'm really glad we're getting some access to it straight off the bat (for people with at least one 3*, which should be most people, even including newer players). Hoping I get the Milano, since Gamora was my first 3* and is my best character (bar AA - my only 5*).
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I am looking forward to it but I think it will be difficult to enact in PvP and have it be anything remotely close to being fair or balanced.  Just like with characters, there will be handful of supports that are far better.  What I would have liked to have seen was supports that were targeted to individual characters only that could help address character balance.  Every character could have one but make 4* Grocket's support really bad and 5* Gambit's support really bad since they are OP characters in their tier.  Make 5* Hulk's support really, really good and 4* Flaptain's the same because those character need help in a bad way etc.  
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Warbringa said:
    I am looking forward to it but I think it will be difficult to enact in PvP and have it be anything remotely close to being fair or balanced.  Just like with characters, there will be handful of supports that are far better.  What I would have liked to have seen was supports that were targeted to individual characters only that could help address character balance.  Every character could have one but make 4* Grocket's support really bad and 5* Gambit's support really bad since they are OP characters in their tier.  Make 5* Hulk's support really, really good and 4* Flaptain's the same because those character need help in a bad way etc.  
    Yeah, I'm thinking that I don't ever want to see this feature in PvP.  It's bad enough to face Gambit by himself, now we'll have to face him when he's powered up by someone with the best support boosted to maximum.  If you weren't lucky (or good) enough to get the same, then even your own Gambit probably won't be enough to save you.

So this means we need to see SCL10 pretty soon or even those level 515 enemies in the 5* essential are going to be overwhelmed by equipped 5*s.
  • bobby_2613
    bobby_2613 Posts: 83 Match Maker
    Options
    Am I the only one thinking that supports in PvP would be only on our side and not on the defending team?  
  • Skrimgeour
    Skrimgeour Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Overall I like the idea and appreciate the work that went into it - neat stuff is a very good thingTM.

I saw folks discussing how it could impact those going for t10, which is a vast minority of players. I am a solid 4* player (43+ champed), but this should make no difference to my playstyle. Level 7 for most PvEs to hit max progressions, pop up to level 8 for new character releases for it is less crowded and easier to finish top 100.

It will just likely mean same reward for less time. So I am happy.

Thanks.

Skrimgeour
    P.S. I still want Dazzler, Herald of Galactus
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Am I the only one thinking that supports in PvP would be only on our side and not on the defending team?  
    That would be a slaughterhouse then.  Anyone could beat anyone with good enough supports.
  • Neuromancer
    Neuromancer Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Nice addition! Keep'em coming. :smile:
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2018
    Options
    veny said:
    Last question from me: Did you think about adding active powers tied to Supports, that would cost team-up points instead of colours? I think it could be great addition, that kinda makes sence due to nature of some Supports.
    Fun fact: the distant ancestor of this feature was an idea for a sort of super Team Up that provided an active power that took up a Team Up slot. There are a ton of UI issues that came up when we evaluated that approach. It's something we might want to explore in the future (I think it could be used to tell some really cool stories), but it was too complex for now and it turns out we can get most of the same strategic depth without it.
    Well, there are three possible team-up powers, and three characters with up to three supports.
    One support-related power could easily take one slot of regular team-up power, allowing you to choose only two character-based team-up powers etc. etc.
    I agree it may be difficult to implement this, but i think it could greatly improve the potential of team-ups.
  • DukeUpdate
    DukeUpdate Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Options

As others have said above, this looks like a great new addition.  As a player who continues to spend (some) money and (way too much) time in the game I am very pleased that the developer is clearly investing in the game for the long term.

Additionally, the quick responses to many of the thoughtful questions on this thread are also very much appreciated.

Have a nice weekend!

- DukeUpdate

• Ptahhotep
    Ptahhotep Posts: 416 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Do all of the supports have five perks, one for each rank, plus a sixth perk for equipping the support on a specific character? I am assuming that the set of perks in the preview are for the chimichanga support, are they all like that or do some lack the character specific perk or have one that applies to multiple characters? Also are character specific perks unique or can there be more than one support that has a character specific perk for the same character, e.g. would the vintage shield and Sharon Carter supports both have Captain America specific perks?
  • fnedude
    fnedude Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    Options

I don't know if anyone has suggested this (I'm not paging thru 9 other pages...)

You could test this out in PvP with Lightning Rounds first for 2 weeks, and then roll it into other PvP events.

And please, don't add it to PvP during the middle of a season.

• Sim Mayor
    Sim Mayor Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker
    Options

<snip>
    Aunt May
    Heimdall
    Asgard
    Shalla-Bal
    Zenn-La
    the Ultimate Nullifier*
    the Cosmic Cube*
    Hydra Bob
    Muramasa blade
    Cerebro
    Sauron
    Forge
    Gateway
    Castle Doom
    Uatu the Watcher
    the Infinity Gauntlet*
    Peter Parker's camera

I really thought for a second that you had that asterisk next to Aunt May. Seriously, the number of times that lady has cheated death, she would totally break the game!
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    Bag-man only: Spider-mobile! Who needs webs when you have a nifty spider-buggy/dune/thingy. Gives Bag-man a 50% chance of not being useless.
    What perks should the Spider-mobile offer to Hawkeye and Wolverine?
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,194 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Sim Mayor said:

<snip>
    Aunt May
    Heimdall
    Asgard
    Shalla-Bal
    Zenn-La
    the Ultimate Nullifier*
    the Cosmic Cube*
    Hydra Bob
    Muramasa blade
    Cerebro
    Sauron
    Forge
    Gateway
    Castle Doom
    Uatu the Watcher
    the Infinity Gauntlet*
    Peter Parker's camera

I really thought for a second that you had that asterisk next to Aunt May. Seriously, the number of times that lady has cheated death, she would totally break the game!
    Don't mess with Aunt May :#

FYI. This was a real issue...  o:)

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,916 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Foggy Nelson and Night Nurse would be great supports for the Defenders. 

Dazzler should be a support that can only be applied to characters with the “new” tag as the forum joke is every new character is Dazzler. That would be either an amazing idea as a support or an April Fools announcement for next year.  Think about it D3!
  • hunky_funky
    hunky_funky Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I think it's a good new feature that brings lot's of possibilities to expand characters capabilities. But, never the less, realistically, what we all experienced for all those years, it may bring new op combinations (thought we already have enough). Nurf this or buff that is already a daily request. Hope that I'm wrong and everything will be cool. Well, we'll see how it goes when someone will have there supports maxed and they include them in pvp. But that one perks with the Deadpool (I guess it's Tacos) really impressed me. If all supports will be similar or even better... funny time's coming, guy's.
  • AionTeleos
    AionTeleos Posts: 37 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I'm really looking forward to playing around with this. Thanks for dropping it on a Tuesday rather than a Friday. It'll be good to have folks at the helm when it goes live.