When is it time for 6-stars?

Comments

• OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    We don't need 6*. 5* was a huge mistake and I think the devs are actually aware of that. 

Instead it would make far more sense to level all the tiers and simply make each character different rather than better. Its a while ago now but I'm pretty sure the original intent with 5* was to give them classes. This would still work. 
    Assualt class have high match damage , low health and will heal. 
    Heavy would be high power damage high health but be slow. 

You get the idea. The game needs to be more tactical and less of an arms race. It'll breathe life into the game and everyone's roster 
  • RedLion
    RedLion Posts: 70 Match Maker
    Okay, I like opening the can of worms...Cue the intellectual exercise music...

What if the current characters were reorganized into 7 or 8 tiers? Sure, you can call them 7 stars if you want to. Gambit and Thor and maybe a couple of the other best 5*’s go top tier...Peggy moves up to tier five, Elektra down to tier three (and two). Archangel down, im40 up, etc. 

What happens then? Each tier is far less diluted (for the next 2 years anyway). It acknowledges power creep without creating more of it. It lets the devs control the rarity of the best characters (shudder). And, in the future, when people complain about Kraven, the devs don’t have to rebalance him, they can just move him down into a more common tier. 

I’m not even sure all characters in the same tier have to have similar stats or ISO requirements. It wouldn’t be that weird to see Peggy and Surfer hanging out in the same tier. Certainly no bigger a power gap than what exists between Yelena and 1* Spidey.

Just think of all the new tokens...
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    I would like to see 6*'s that altered conditions dramatically, not just more powerful characters.
  • kk3thess
    kk3thess Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Instead of talking about 6*, we should be talking about how 4* are increasing in numbers without any minimum increase of chances at getting them. 
  • Lopan15
    Lopan15 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    They could maybe add more 2 and 3 star characters, then make the required nodes somewhat like DDQ.  Required 2 star node you can only use 2 star characters and same for the 3* node.  Maybe make one node per sub like the BOP where you have to use one 2, 3, and 4 or for lower SCL a 1, 2, and 3.  They would have to tweak the enemy levels of course.  this would add clearing/grinding time so probably not viable, but I think it would be fun for me.
  • Nick9819
    Nick9819 Posts: 41 Just Dropped In
    Never..
  • Nick9819
    Nick9819 Posts: 41 Just Dropped In
    Isn't the higher match damage every new 5* enough?
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    I don't think the game needs 6*s.  I think the development needs some innovation to make existing tiers relevant.  If there's a reason to keep and power up the 1-4* tiers, they can add to those until they close up shop, so long as the new characters provide new strategies and interesting options.

The problem with the gameplay right now is that there's no reason not to bring your highest star and level characters to 90% of the game modes.  Doing otherwise makes you non-competitive and unnecessarily slows what is already grindy content (due to event recycling and lack of enemy variation).  If you've got a pair of good champ 5* they make the other 154 characters in your roster mostly irrelevant.  Introducing 6* would only exacerbate this.

Making the other tiers relevant, though, would increase engagement.  If there are game modes where you can't use your higher powered characters, or where there are specific rewards or advantages to using lower power characters, people might use them more.  They get more mileage out of the stuff they've already worked/paid for.

Granted, the challenges to this are that
    1) New game mode content is a significant programming resource investment
    2) It has no direct impact on the bottom line
    3) Unless carefully balanced, it throws the game's economy, and likely the monetization that depends on it, totally out of whack.

It's better for the long-term health of the game, IMO.  More reasons to utilize the lateral spread is more engaging than power creep.
  • TimGunn
    TimGunn Posts: 257 Mover and Shaker
    i'd say no 6 stars, just keep with the 2 new fours, and 1 new five pattern indefinitely. 

Or completely redo the scaling so that 5 stars are closer to 4 stars and not have that huge leap.

Or start game over as MPQ II.  Existing players get some credit/benefit for their existing rosters.  
  • Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    TimGunn said:
    i'd say no 6 stars, just keep with the 2 new fours, and 1 new five pattern indefinitely. 

Or completely redo the scaling so that 5 stars are closer to 4 stars and not have that huge leap.

Or start game over as MPQ II.  Existing players get some credit/benefit for their existing rosters.  
    Great ideas. 
  • hunky_funky
    hunky_funky Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    When we will have separate tokens for 5* only, that will be little first step for a 6* tier. Or if devs start to give them away as a reward in SCL 10. I wouldn't mind if there will be unplayable 6* Stan Lee, somewhere above, as a joke character, just watching and laughing at MPQ universe...
    To be honest, I'd better want a normal 5* tier, cause we have a mess now. I'm one cover away from championing Gambit, but still can't get OML his first red!!! I know, it shouldn't be that easy, but still... When the moon is in the Seventh House and Jupiter aligns with Mars maybe we'll get a 6* (I hope not).
  • Kevmcg
    Kevmcg Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    6* are not necessarily the answer, but some method for the whales to stay ahead is. Many of us that are FTP or close to it have caught up where we can reliably place Top5 in both PVE and PVP.  Whales spend a lot of $$$ to collect characters early and stay ahead of the curve. When that advantage goes away, there is less reason to spend, and when the spending dries up, so will the game.
  • Jabrony_Geoff
    Jabrony_Geoff Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2018
    I have two words for the author of the opening post....oh please.    :( 
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    They should just let you champion up characters and every couple hundred levels it goes up a star rating. You could champ a 3 to a 5, and a 5 to a seven. 

Etc etc
  • Glockoma
    Glockoma Posts: 553 Critical Contributor
    This might alleviate some issues- combine 3 and 4 star echelons to create new, expanded level. Rebalance them and then let the 5-stars become the 4-star level. Not sure about match damage adjustments, but it would be nice to have a fat league of 3* events to cycle and have 4-stars be pretty rare to acquire again. 
  • gibbojab
    gibbojab Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    Star levels are based solely on rarity and chances of pulling a card. The chances of pulling a 6* if it were ever released would be extremely low if the the odds duplicated with current rate of 1:7 for 5* it’d be around 1:49 for 6*. There is no need to create another rarity level when 5* are already difficult enough to obtain. 
  • NeonBlue
    NeonBlue Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    6* would be catering almost exclusively to whales. Do you remember when SS came out and it manhandled the top 4* team at the time by itself? 6* would be exponentially worse following that trend. How would 95% of the playerbase even contend?

When the sea caters exclusively to its biggest whales, no other fish can hope to survive. 
  • Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,556 Chairperson of the Boards

Why not have a 6* tier that are groups: f.ex an X-Men "character" that you can fill up with other X-Men. For every character that you insert into the group, it gets stronger and you can choose one of its abilities to add to the group so you customize your own character.

That way you get rewarded for a large and well-developed roster and the devs can keep bringing out more characters in every tier.