Steam UI - So bad

Comments

• LXSandman
    LXSandman Posts: 196 Tile Toppler
    rixmith said:
    Ah, so this is all it takes to find out who all the Steam users are! And even get new ones to come to the forums!

Hahah, yeah it's like they are marking all of us for a future takeout or something... :)
  • Treras
    Treras Posts: 47 Just Dropped In
    When are these new fabulous changes going to be implemented? Might make this piss poor UI seem less ****...
  • Berserk_Al
    Berserk_Al Posts: 411 Mover and Shaker
    Raud said:
    Dear devs, PC users don't have 4 inches monitors  ;)
    Some of them have 40 inches  >:)
    They must be compensating for something >:)
    JK, I have 2x 21" screens and want to make them 2x 24".

------------------------------
    I have to agree this new interface is unconfortable, and I may be playing less for the time being. I still have hope we will be getting something good.
  • guib
    guib Posts: 83 Match Maker
    I really thought this was just a temporary bug.
    this new UI is atrocious.
    now it just looks like playing on a cheap emulator
  • LXSandman
    edited March 2018
    Brigby said:
    @LXSandman I'm afraid I don't currently have any further information to provide, which is why I haven't responded yet. Once I receive an update, I'll be sure to comment on any relevant threads.

This is what Brigby said on a different thread ... along with a gentle reminder for me to stop trying to hi-jack threads....:)

• zeroswitch
    zeroswitch Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    I started playing a month or 2 ago, and quite enjoy the game!   It's fun, I have no problem putting money in it.  :)    But this change, made with no warning, seems like a step in the wrong direction.  What was contained in 1 screen is now spread over 6+ screens; upgrading powers and levels means switching back and forth, it's harder to view heroes 'at a glance', just way less convenient.  Maybe it's easier for the developers, but for the players (aka consumers) it's a clear downgrade.  

About a year ago Gazillion tried to "streamline" their Marvel Heroes Omega by making the PC version the same as the PS4 console version, and lost a LOT of players.   (btw, the gamble failed and the company went under).  I realize this is a different company and a different game, but it's not an encouraging sign.  Please, don't ignore the players' feedback.
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    This UI switch blows **** and is extremely inefficient, had everything on one page before, now I have to flip through all these different pages to get things done on my characters.

Go back, no one wanted this.
  • Palookaville
    Palookaville Posts: 83 Match Maker
    The new steam UI is horrendous, please make it go away! 
  • y4747
    y4747 Posts: 163 Tile Toppler
    i really hope this is temporary to get the new feature rolling and will get back to the way it was before, after they have time to get to it.
    as is, they took one of the worst features of the phone ui (necessitated by screen size) and put it as-is on the pc. it looks bad, and is very inconvenient.
    that being said, i won't stop playing because of it. the time i spend on character screens isn't a huge percentage of play. but seriously, you had tons of room to add a button...

the thing i really fear is that they'll stop support for the steam version and just make it a port of the mobile, or nix it entirely.

• Raud
    Raud Posts: 74 Match Maker
    edited March 2018
    We should be lucky  :)
    There is no MPQ for smartwatches  :p
  • wardenda
    wardenda Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    Literally made an account here just to complain about the Steam UI.

While I'm on the complain train I really don't like that four-in-a-row line clears don't activate trap tiles anymore. It kind of makes Daredevil's Ambush and Nick Fury's Demolition useless now.
  • steakleather
    steakleather Posts: 121 Tile Toppler
    This is honestly decreasing my enthusiasm for the game. It feels insulting.
  • BearVenger
    BearVenger Posts: 453 Mover and Shaker

Sandmaker said:
    It's the same as what the mobile users (aka 90% of the playerbase) have been using for ages.

Sure, it's not as fancy as the old steam interface, but it does its job fine and hardly worth throwing this kind of a fit about...

You could argue that they are supporting steam users by changing the UI so this new game feature is available to them and not just phone users. All depends on how you choose to look at it. They could have left the steam interface alone and only let phone people benefit from the new feature (maybe... still not sure what it is).  Fact is, people were going to complain either way. 
    Ah, the cardinal sin on the Internet: Pointing out that something could be made better. If people stop complaining, then we won't have to worry about problems.
  • BearVenger
    BearVenger Posts: 453 Mover and Shaker
    Daredevil217 said:

Well we don’t know if it’s possible for this new feature to be accessible to steam users on the old interface. I’d argue if it were capable of being ran using the old UI they would have done it. I don’t think they’d mess with it just to mess with it. 

As for your second point we don’t know what the feature is, which is the point I’ve been making. We dont know if it’s “worth it” so why not wait and see? Obviously the new interface isn’t as good. We were told why they were doing it (to implement a new feature).  Let’s wait to see what the final picture looks like. I think that’s fair. 
    I do agree with DD on this point. I've been involved with software interface changes for more than a decade, and I've been on the receiving end of a lot of customer complaints of "Why is this upgrade a downgrade?" without a legit explanation other than, "We couldn't do X with the current interface of Y", when Y is something that didn't affect what that user did.

So, I think something bigger may happen in MPQ, and there weren't enough resources to make the Steam interface work in its current form, so the devs had to scrap it and port over the mobile screens as a kludge. It's not fun, and hopefully in the future, there will be programming hours available to optimize the PC experience.

I still think it's fair for our PC brethren to complain without being told to shut up, calm down, and be grateful. That attitude is pretty much useful only to persevere through a temporarily bad condition, not trying to reach an ongoing optimal future.
  • LXSandman

I still think it's fair for our PC brethren to complain without being told to shut up, calm down, and be grateful. That attitude is pretty much useful only to persevere through a temporarily bad condition, not trying to reach an ongoing optimal future.

The biggest problem that all of us have had is the lack of communication on the issue.  If they came out and said its a temporary issue none of us would complain.  If they came out and said its permanent then there wouldn't be much point in complaining either, quit or suck it up.

We just don't know yet....
  • herm1978
    herm1978 Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
    Is this the place where you report a bug? It seems that the character screen have split itself into eight different screens for no reason. Hotfix please :)
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Hi Everyone. Demiurge_Will chimed in a bit on this topic, and you can see his response HERE
  • bandit0013
    bandit0013 Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    edited March 2018
    Given that the underlaying data is the same between the two platforms, as a developer being unwilling/unable to easily skin different views on top of those data structures tells me all I need to know about the quality of the dev team.

I VIP monthly.  I will not be renewing until they fix this.
  • steakleather
    steakleather Posts: 121 Tile Toppler
    LXSandman said:
    So from what I read of that response the change is permanent.  The whole "Well if users go up we will put more resources into it" answer is clearly just a way of saying we don't want to do it and won't be.  

It's pretty impossible to increase the users base while actively making the experience worse.

Unless this new "feature" involves some sort of dynamic UI resizing that makes the experience on Steam appear better then a cheap mobile port there will be no way that the Steam user numbers will go up.

They really must just not care about the number of Steam users... because the experience is quite poor now.  It's interesting, but money speaks, and they must feel that the difference between what people spend now vs before will not equal the cost of redoing the UI.  Shame
    Exactly. They won't fix it until the Steam numbers go up, but the numbers won't go up because they won't fix it. 

I've been playing on Steam for 4 years and have dumped a lot of money into this game. This response is not acceptable to me.