Steam UI - So bad

LXSandman
LXSandman Posts: 196 Tile Toppler
edited March 2018 in MPQ General Discussion
I know this is buried in the update thread, but I just wanted to make sure that this message is clear.

The UI change to Steam is absolutely HORRIBLE.

I'm not joking when I say I am not buying anything else if this becomes permanent.  I was considering buying the Shield level 7 pack when I noticed what was done.  I can't stand it, it literally makes me want to stop playing when I try to navigate it.  I'm actually kind of annoying that I renewed my VIP before I knew they changed this.

I'll just say it again..... It's unbelievably bad. 

Edit:  I just wanted to say that the change makes it clear that I'm playing a mobile port on a computer.  It makes the game look cheap.  It doesn't inspire me to spend money on it, I don't know... maybe that's just me.

Comments

• Sandmaker
    Sandmaker Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    It's the same as what the mobile users (aka 90% of the playerbase) have been using for ages.

Sure, it's not as fancy as the old steam interface, but it does its job fine and hardly worth throwing this kind of a fit about... 
  • ursopro
    ursopro Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    Sandmaker said:
    It's the same as what the mobile users (aka 90% of the playerbase) have been using for ages.

Sure, it's not as fancy as the old steam interface, but it does its job fine and hardly worth throwing this kind of a fit about... 
    The thing is, the old Steam interface wasn't fancy, it was simple and useful, every single piece of information and actions (except for power swaps and champ rewards tracker) in one screen, just the way it should be.
  • Sandmaker
    Sandmaker Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    ursopro said:
    Sandmaker said:

The thing is, the old Steam interface wasn't fancy, it was simple and useful, every single piece of information and actions (except for power swaps and champ rewards tracker) in one screen, just the way it should be.
    I know this is going to be a hard pill to swallow. But steam users makes up a very very tiny portion of this game's players and revenue:

http://steamcharts.com/app/234330#All

On a good day you guys can't even fill up a single pvp bracket. So it makes no sense for the company to continue to spend resources to develop special screens just for such a small minority to use.

I get that it sucks to lose the special support, but you'll just have to slum it like the rest of us now.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    Steam charts shows you CURRENT users, not cumulative, there is not only 500 players total playing on Steam LOL.

And I agree with OP, this change is awful, what took 2 clicks now takes about 10...  this is baffling. Just add your new button to the old design, there was a ton of space left.
  • LXSandman
    LXSandman Posts: 196 Tile Toppler
    Sandmaker said:

I know this is going to be a hard pill to swallow. But steam users makes up a very very tiny portion of this game's players and revenue:

http://steamcharts.com/app/234330#All

On a good day you guys can't even fill up a single pvp bracket. So it makes no sense for the company to continue to spend resources to develop special screens just for such a small minority to use.

I get that it sucks to lose the special support, but you'll just have to slum it like the rest of us now.
    it's not a "hard pill to swallow"  it's quite easy actually. 

The dev's need to make the decision they feel are best for the game, they will need to balance the cost of adding this "feature" to the steam UI vs any of the player base they might lose.  

But if the people who are unhappy with the change are not willing to speak up about it then the dev's definitely won't take them into account.

Frankly I have alot of things I can spend money on ... they seem to never end.  So taking a break from spending on this game might be nice!
  • meekersX
    meekersX Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    The changes are atrocious. The interface is actually significantly worse and more confusing. At this point, it might be preferable to play the mobile version, if even on an emulator on my PC. Unfortunately this is not possible, and I am stuck playing on Steam since that is what I started with. I wish they would make it possible to play with the same account regardless of platform.
  • ursopro
    ursopro Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    meekersX said:
    Unfortunately this is not possible, and I am stuck playing on Steam since that is what I started with. I wish they would make it possible to play with the same account regardless of platform.
    According to this post by Brigby you can ask CS to help you to transfer your PC account to mobile: https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/70797/from-steam-to-tablet

Of course is a one time only thing because the technology is just not here yet to allow sync between both platforms.
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    yup pretty bad change

• killerkoala
    used to be easy to farm 13 covers for 1* and sell them all on that screen from que, now u have to exit que then go to find that 1character sell it then go back to que to recruit again. 
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    Joe_Smoke said:
    Sandmaker said:

It's throwing a fit to stop buying something when the quality of a product decreases?

LXSandman is completely right; it's perfectly reasonably for the devs to withdraw support for Steam, it's their business after all.  But as consumers it is pretty irrational for us to continue to spend on a free to play product that is choosing not to invest in our platform.  And as consumers we can hope that actually it is more financially sensible to spend X dev hours fixing our UI, than losing our continued support.

You could argue that they are supporting steam users by changing the UI so this new game feature is available to them and not just phone users. All depends on how you choose to look at it. They could have left the steam interface alone and only let phone people benefit from the new feature (maybe... still not sure what it is).  Fact is, people were going to complain either way. 
  • killerkoala
    i saw a weird icon where iso was and it had "0" next to it that might be what the big new thing is gonna be
  • Spiritclaw
    Spiritclaw Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    I agree with the original  poster, and I hope the upcoming change is awesome and happens soon.  I can't imagine what change they are making that would require this as an intermediate step.  The current situation is very irritating, though.
  • Joe_Smoke
    Joe_Smoke Posts: 10 Just Dropped In
    Joe_Smoke said:
    Sandmaker said:

It's throwing a fit to stop buying something when the quality of a product decreases?

LXSandman is completely right; it's perfectly reasonably for the devs to withdraw support for Steam, it's their business after all.  But as consumers it is pretty irrational for us to continue to spend on a free to play product that is choosing not to invest in our platform.  And as consumers we can hope that actually it is more financially sensible to spend X dev hours fixing our UI, than losing our continued support.

You could argue that they are supporting steam users by changing the UI so this new game feature is available to them and not just phone users. All depends on how you choose to look at it. They could have left the steam interface alone and only let phone people benefit from the new feature (maybe... still not sure what it is).  Fact is, people were going to complain either way. 
    Well I'd argue that proper support is that we keep an interface suitable to our platform whilst receiving new features on a reasonable schedule.

Until we know what the new feature is we'll have no idea if it's worth the pain, but currently what we do have is a straight downgrade to the user experience.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    Joe_Smoke said:
    Joe_Smoke said:
    Sandmaker said:

Well I'd argue that proper support is that we keep an interface suitable to our platform whilst receiving new features on a reasonable schedule.

Until we know what the new feature is we'll have no idea if it's worth the pain, but currently what we do have is a straight downgrade to the user experience.
    Well we don’t know if it’s possible for this new feature to be accessible to steam users on the old interface. I’d argue if it were capable of being ran using the old UI they would have done it. I don’t think they’d mess with it just to mess with it. 

As for your second point we don’t know what the feature is, which is the point I’ve been making. We dont know if it’s “worth it” so why not wait and see? Obviously the new interface isn’t as good. We were told why they were doing it (to implement a new feature).  Let’s wait to see what the final picture looks like. I think that’s fair. 
  • marshall
    marshall Posts: 179 Tile Toppler
    Some better communication here would have been great. Is this a permanent change, is it temporary?

If so, I'll join the chorus that it's horrible and makes me want to switch to mobile, except I don't particularly like the crammed design on mobile, so I might consider whether I should bother.
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Joe_Smoke said:
    Joe_Smoke said:
    Sandmaker said:

Well we don’t know if it’s possible for this new feature to be accessible to steam users on the old interface. I’d argue if it were capable of being ran using the old UI they would have done it. I don’t think they’d mess with it just to mess with it. 

As for your second point we don’t know what the feature is, which is the point I’ve been making. We dont know if it’s “worth it” so why not wait and see? Obviously the new interface isn’t as good. We were told why they were doing it (to implement a new feature).  Let’s wait to see what the final picture looks like. I think that’s fair. 

I'm sure you understand that "we'll take something away from you now so we can, at some point in the future, give you something we don't want to tell you about now" is a terrible, terrible idea, PR-wise.

And that's taking the "we couldn't have added the feature with far more UI real estate" argument at face-value.

• DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not a fan of the change.

I'm hoping that what it boils down to is 'we can't push this feature out at the same time for both platforms if we have two different UIs to work with so we're putting Steam's on the back burner for expedience's sake and we'll restore it in the near future.'

Because the alternative is 'this is an excuse to stop having two UI's and we're lazy.'

There is nothing about mobile's UI that is better-suited for the display of a new feature than what Steam previously had. Downgrading from the old UI to a stretched mobile UI doesn't make the Steam version of the game any more able to accept a new feature or new currency or new whatever-it's-gonna-be.

If it's a resource push-pull, something that would get delayed if they had to round two UI's into shape, then I can accept that - contingent on the follow-through making Steam users whole again.