Jessica Jones (Alias Investigations) (3/7/18)

Comments

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,893 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    Where do people place her in the 5* meta. I’m assuming currently (knowing nothing of 5* land and basing on what I read here), the best characters would be

1. Gambit

2. Thor
    3. Thanos
    4. Black Bolt
    5. Daredevil
    6. Panther
    7. Hawkeye??

Does Jess rank in this top tier?
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    JJ's abilities look good. I'm surprised there isn't a 3* version of her.

Her red ability reminds me of Patch's Berserker Rage (9ap too) without the drawback. For Body Check, her max damage (without boosts from strike tiles) is 15764 + (2626*6) = 31520. It shouldn't be difficult to hit the 6 colours to achieve max damage.

I'm unsure about her blue. It looks good but can I confirm that the trap tile that JJ creates belong to the enemy team? In that case, would it activates American Chavez's Ticket to the Multiverse? I think this question might have been asked somewhere in the past regarding other characters who created trap tiles for their team that includes American Chavez and the answer is a 'no'.  Because American Chavez has to make a match 4. I'm leaning towards a 'no' but I don't want to make assumption.

For the APs gained and match damage to be activated, do the trap tile matched has to be:

1) only the one JJ creates 2) any of the three colours that the enemy creates or 3) any colour as long as it is a enemy trap tile?

Lastly, can JJ sees where she creates the enemy trap tile if she doesn't have 6 blue ap? I'm linking towards 'yes' since it is created by her. 
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Aww, yiss! OK, yeah, I would have preferred a 5/3 release for her, but still. She's finally here, and with a very fitting power set.
  • evade420
    evade420 Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker
    Where do people place her in the 5* meta. I’m assuming currently (knowing nothing of 5* land and basing on what I read here), the best characters would be

1. Gambit

2. Thor
    3. Thanos
    4. Black Bolt
    5. Daredevil
    6. Panther
    7. Hawkeye??

Hard to say until we can go hands on but I'm thinking 

1. Gambit
    2. BB
    3. Thor
    4. DD
    5. Thanos
    6. JJ
    7. Panther

Think it will all depend in the trap tile mechanics , I'm optimistic and excited tho so this is a good sign 
    If I understand correctly with special tiles of every colour on the board she can do 31k damage for 11ap
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,893 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    JJ's abilities look good. I'm surprised there isn't a 3* version of her.

Her red ability reminds me of Patch's Berserker Rage (9ap too) without the drawback. For Body Check, her max damage (without boosts from strike tiles) is 15764 + (2626*6) = 31520. It shouldn't be difficult to hit the 6 colours to achieve max damage.

I'm unsure about her blue. It looks good but can I confirm that the trap tile that JJ creates belong to the enemy team? (YES) In that case, would it activates American Chavez's Ticket to the Multiverse? (NO) I think this question might have been asked somewhere in the past regarding other characters who created trap tiles for their team that includes American Chavez and the answer is a 'no'.  Because American Chavez has to make a match 4 (CORRECT). I'm leaning towards a 'no' but I don't want to make assumption.

For the APs gained and match damage to be activated, do the trap tile matched has to be:

1) only the one JJ creates 2) any of the three colours that the enemy creates or 3) any colour as long as it is a enemy trap tile? (This one I'm unsure of??)

Lastly, can JJ sees where she creates the enemy trap tile if she doesn't have 6 blue ap? I'm linking towards 'yes' since it is created by her. (NO.  I'm sure you will just see the "damning evidence" banner at the beginning of the enemy turn, similar to when the enemy Doom places a "diabolical plot" trap.  She only gets to see the traps when she gets 6 blue.  At that point she can see all enemy traps including the ones she placed.)
    my very strong guesses are in bold above.

• Mal_Knight
    Mal_Knight Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    I was really looking forward to a 3/5 character. I'm really surprised she doesn't have a 3 star version when all the other Defenders do. 

Still im really excited for her. She looks fun and I'm happy she's in the game. I'll be even happy if she gets a 3 or 4 star version in the future.  ;)
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Looks like a strong character - like others have mentioned, I'm sad that there's no 3-star version.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,836 Chairperson of the Boards
    Borstock said:
    Okay, I have waited for Jessica Jones since I started playing PuzzleQuest almost two years ago now. You finally release her and she is a 5*? Thanks... essentially I can hope to get one or two covers of her. If she was a 4* I could reasonably champion her and actually enjoy using her. I am really annoyed because I know she will now be considered “settled” as a character and the chances of a 4* are basically nonexistent. So thank you PuzzleQuest! I feel so thankful that I can champion and use Sandman, but can only admire the cover art for Jessica Jones...
    The person with JessicaJones as their handle will be unlikely to get her fully covered. 

Yeah, that one's gotta sting. 

It took me 2yrs to finally cover 4* Punisher.. I think 3* was one of the last I covered.. it sucks when you're fav takes so long 

As for the lack of 3/5.. I'm surprised too but then again 3* Angel is probably one of the worst 3*s.. including Elektra.. nerfed Gambit. They haven't made a good 3/5 since Hawkeye over a year ago.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    evade420 said:

1. Gambit

2. Thor
    3. Thanos
    4. Black Bolt
    5. Daredevil
    6. Panther
    7. Hawkeye??

Hard to say until we can go hands on but I'm thinking 

1. Gambit
    2. BB
    3. Thor
    4. DD
    5. Thanos
    6. JJ
    7. Panther

Think it will all depend in the trap tile mechanics , I'm optimistic and excited tho so this is a good sign 
    If I understand correctly with special tiles of every colour on the board she can do 31k damage for 11ap
    I think you are underestimating JJ with her passive.  She will be a great pairing with Gambit or Thanos.  With being able to do 10k match damage when matching a trap tile she can help take down gambit.  If gambit gets a big nerf she jumps up to pair with DD or Thanos.  She is might not be great as solo but as the 2nd 5* she will be nasty.  If you look at her pairing with Gambit, DD, and Thanos having a black active is clutch and if you don’t use Gambit you can use her red as well.  I don’t know what her health will be like and that will put the final determination on her but she is strong.
    1.gambit
    2 BB
    3 DD
    4 JJ
    5 Thanos 
    6 Thor 
    7 Panther
     I do think Thor is much better in PVE than PVP as he is great with 1/2 health but once he is low health needs more people to tank for him.  DD is much better with the strike tiles and heal.
  • MirrorKnight
    MirrorKnight Posts: 72 Match Maker
    @Brigby can we get some input from the devs on why this release isn't coming with a 3* version? 
  • Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 435 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2018
    Her match colours look like it's based off her Netflix outfit:

Red lipstick
    Black jacket
    Blue jeans
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm surprised they didn't do the same for her cover that they did for Daredevil.
    Daredevil used the art used for the season 2 steelbook. I figured they'd use this for her too. Or at the very least the regular DVD release.

• hunky_funky
    hunky_funky Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    To be honest, trap tiles mechanic is very "unreliable". Maybe it's me, but I always considered it like a nice bonus. If it's procs - good, if it doesn't - not a big deal. I've got very unlucky with those all the time. At the end all will build her 5/5/3, cause:" Hey, where I lay down thous trap tiles! Oh, here's one, in the top right corner. Hey, AI!!!! Stop destroying them with match 4. So, where it was again? Ah, bottom row and it's unmatchable." You know, investigate...
    But at least seeing enemy traps is nice feature. And rest of the powers is a good looking nukes. I like the character and can't wait to see her in-game design and power animations. (Don't forget to turn them on)
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2018
    Well nice that she's in the game, but man she seems strong. Her red is insane for just 9 AP. Her blue is insane as well - 10k damage and AP gain and you have 4 tiles to choose from. Wonder if it works with guys like Doom. Her black is strong too. Easily deal 25k when paired right... 

This power creep is insane. Your balance team is sleeping.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    Thanks Brigby for the fast response. I still have three more questions:

1. At the start of the turn, create a Red, Black, or Blue enemy Trap tile if fewer than 4 exist.

Should this be interpreted as

"if fewer than 4 red, black, or blue enemy Trap tiles created by Jessica Jones exist" or "if fewer than 4 enemy trap tiles exist (this means it will count trap tiles created by enemy as well)

2. When you match one, gain 3 AP in your strongest color and deal 10,123 damage.

Does Jessica Jones have to be the one to match the trap tile to activate the bonus or can anyone in Jessica Jone's team match the trap tile to activate the bonus?

3. Will JJ's red overwrite her own trap tile? I guess not because Patch's Berseker Rage doesn't overwrite Dr. Doom trap tiles.

So far, JJ abilities are really good. If I want max damage, then I will run 5/5/3. If I'm teaming her up with another special tiles creator, I might just run 3/5/5.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards

So... at first glance...

Red looks comparable to GladiaThor's red - Thor deals a Little more base damage (a lot more under the right circumstances), but Jessica sets up strike tiles which can be immensely valuable. You can probably play the two together and choose whichever red suits you better at the time.

Black - a bit more damage, a lot more if you have used red first. In the fivestar tier, there's not a whole lot of support to add special tiles on different colors, most only add on a single cover. Daredevil could steal enemy specials, and Old Man Logan can put out strike tiles on two different colors... Hard to make the most of for a full fivestar player, but there's definitely potential there.

Blue - Passive damage and AP generation has a lot of potential, but having to match one of (up to) four specific tiles on the board makes it very unreliable. I assume the enemy will be able to see the traps Jessica sets up, so playing against Jessica you could probably prevent her from matching her traps most of the time. On the other hand, forcing the enemy into certain moves can certainly be a useful tactic, so she might be annoying to play against.

She obviously doesn't play well with Gambit (he stops her from using red, which also means her black loses a lot of its punch), and she is not good enough to replace him (which is not a bad thing for the Health of the game), so I don't Think she will make much impact in PvP in the current meta, unfortunately. She's probably good enough for PvE though. I suppose Thor and Daredevil will be her best fivestar partners for now.

• Piro_plock
    Piro_plock Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    D4Ni13 said:
    Her blue is insane as well - 10k damage and AP gain and you have 4 tiles to choose from. Wonder if it works with guys like Doom.
    Powers like her blue never work with trap tiles made by others. It's always only their own traps.
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Quebbster said:

Blue - Passive damage and AP generation has a lot of potential, but having to match one of (up to) four specific tiles on the board makes it very unreliable. I assume the enemy will be able to see the traps Jessica sets up, so playing against Jessica you could probably prevent her from matching her traps most of the time. On the other hand, forcing the enemy into certain moves can certainly be a useful tactic, so she might be annoying to play against.

Then again, the AI is pretty predicatable in its moves, so you probably won't have to always match her traps.