The ‘lucky’ Greg

Options

Comments

• Monkeynutts
    Monkeynutts Posts: 566 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The game is boring and repetitive. The Ai is too good and just out mana you. It's shockingly stupid now. I don't mind a fair game, but losing on mana 2:1 or even 3:1 each game
  • Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Seems that new greg doesnt doesnt satisfy everybody. I imagine when you first reach platinum, the big decks plus the IA can be quite a problem (entering platinum used to be a gap even with the dumb IA). 
      Maybe the IA lvl could depend on the mastery and the bracket you're currently in during an event?
  • Monkeynutts
    Monkeynutts Posts: 566 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I don't mind it. but when the Ai ignores a 4 or 5 and connects a 3 that chains 5 or 6 times you know it knows whats coming
  • 810Bourne
    810Bourne Posts: 53 Match Maker
    Options
    I don't mind it. but when the Ai ignores a 4 or 5 and connects a 3 that chains 5 or 6 times you know it knows whats coming
    Yes. That is making this game miserable  
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Please record your games and show me the AI doing something like that. I have never seen them pick a clearly worse choice to hit a big cascade in the 2 years I have been playing.  

If it is happening we need to be aware of it.  If you are just making it up to prove a point because you are frustrated... well, it's not productive. Especially because the developer will know its not true.
  • DBJones
    DBJones Posts: 803 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I have seen similar behavior, I think it's the AI's mana denial strategy, but it does drop them a match-5 surprisingly often…
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm reluctant to take a side in this.  I've seen a *somewhat noticeable* increase in match-5s by the opponent, but I don't know if I'm noticing it more because I've read these posts or not...or that the opponent successfully matching good swaps is more dramatic to .me because they've generally made silly choices before the Ixalan update
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Well the AI definitely matches match 5's far more often because it doesn't intentionally avoid them like it used to.  

It probably cascades more than it used to too because it is taking more moves (after its match 5) and it actually hits double gem matches on purpose now (which creates more gems to drop down and gives more chances to combo).  

I see no evidence that it is cheating or whatever.  Please do record this if you see it... plenty of free screen recorders out there.. Otherwise it's just hearsay.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The AI is definitely, as mentioned, making more match 5s, though it also makes a lot of questionable swaps that somehow cause cascades that couldn't be seen on screen. This might be luck, so I make no judgment on it, but it does happen just often enough that I question it. I've also just seen in general that the AI cascades pretty regularly, which can get frustrating.

As a side note, I've also noticed that the AI will now frequently make the suggested swap on loyalty gems, even when there are match 4s or other mana-producing matches on the field. And often they AI seems to suggest moves to make sure I can line up its colors for big matches on its next turn. Don't trust Greg to give you advise.
  • Skiglass6
    Skiglass6 Posts: 149 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I have seen Greg ignore a match 5 but I think it is making that decision if it gets more mana from the match it takes.  I do not think it takes into account for cascades. 
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,936 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Turbo Greg took some getting used to, but now it's pretty much business as usual. I still like the idea that I don't automatically win because I got control of the board . I do remember a time when I believed that the ai cheated . The reality was that my ego wouldn't allow me to accept that I needed to step up my game .This iteration of Greg is unforgiving . That means we need to play tighter , scrutinize card chochoices . Whether it's too hard isn't really up to me to decide. None of us , really . But, we're stuck with him for the time being. Time to tighten up . I'm confident that you guys can do it .

This. So much this. 
  • FindingHeart8
    Options
    Turbo Greg took some getting used to, but now it's pretty much business as usual. I still like the idea that I don't automatically win because I got control of the board . I do remember a time when I believed that the ai cheated . The reality was that my ego wouldn't allow me to accept that I needed to step up my game .This iteration of Greg is unforgiving . That means we need to play tighter , scrutinize card chochoices . Whether it's too hard isn't really up to me to decide. None of us , really . But, we're stuck with him for the time being. Time to tighten up . I'm confident that you guys can do it .
    I don't mind the greater challenge...as long as the upcoming "card rebalancing," doesn't just nerf all the decent cards to Ixalan standards.
  • Coilbox
    Coilbox Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I don't mind the greater challenge...as long as the upcoming "card rebalancing," doesn't just nerf all the decent cards to Ixalan standards.
    This would piss me really bad... For some of the cards we paid real cash, wouldnt be fair to have those cards 'rebalanced' aka nerfed to get them close to the Ixalan tinnykitty standards.
    As long as a card is not causing a massive trouble (as happened with first version of Baral and some others), let it be... after some time will just rotate out to legacy and wont interfere on standard.
    Seriously, a big 'card rebalance' would automaticly make me uninstall and forget about MTGPQ foerever.
  • rafalele
    rafalele Posts: 876 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Skiglass6 said:
    I have seen Greg ignore a match 5 but I think it is making that decision if it gets more mana from the match it takes.  I do not think it takes into account for cascades. 
    Same for me, just once IA has left a 5 match because other match was better.
  • hawkyh1
    hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
    Options
    rafalele said:
    Skiglass6 said:
    Same for me, just once IA has left a 5 match because other match was better.

how does the ai know that the other match was better
    if it doesn't know what gems will fall from the match 5?

HH
  • ArielSira
    ArielSira Posts: 491 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I think they meant that the AI reasons "more mana = better". I've seen the AI skip a match-5 several times because he made a 4 green plus 3 red match instead.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Was the match 5 in Greg's colors? I've been watching this carefully and I've noticed it is taking match 3's over 4's and 5's that aren't either it's colors or loyalty. 
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The amount of mana idea might be the key... It might not be including the Match 5 for the extra turn like we do.

Though how does it value loyalty vs other mana?
  • FindingHeart8
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Okay, I just watched the AI (Mina and Denn Wildborn) get 5 swaps in a row without any tricks giving them swaps (only support on the field is my Oath of Liliana) the only things they cast were eldrazi creatures.

I've never in the course of this entire game got 5 swaps in a row without significant setup.  Use this info however you will, whether it's the gems rigged in the AI's favor, or horriblehorriblehorrible wombat luck.