I just need to know are you going to nerf Gambit

Comments

• j0nats
    j0nats Posts: 149 Tile Toppler
    broll said:

If you're super worried about a nerf you could always do your pulls and sit on him at 13 covers waiting to see if he gets nerfed or not.  If he's nerfed just leave him at 13 unchamped until you have free ISO and turn your focus to Thor.

not sure you can get 1-to-1 cover swap for an unleveled gambit... can you?

if so, covering without champing might not be good idea
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    j0nats said:
    broll said:

If you're super worried about a nerf you could always do your pulls and sit on him at 13 covers waiting to see if he gets nerfed or not.  If he's nerfed just leave him at 13 unchamped until you have free ISO and turn your focus to Thor.

not sure you can get 1-to-1 cover swap for an unleveled gambit... can you?

if so, covering without champing might not be good idea
    Also, it may not be said in the OP, but he already has gambit champed. It's basically a question of whether to go all in on gambit and thor or save the hoard for the next worthy set of 3 .
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm a little surprised that everyone seems so cool with the thought of nerfing gambit right after he leaves latests.  That feels like the most devious approach...maximize sales, then immediately stab everyone in the back?  Sure, nothing is guaranteed and it's well within their rights, but it's a great way to alienate paying customers.
    We have been begging for a rebalance ASAP, but barring any comment from the powers that be, call it wishful thinking that he will be nerfed when he stops making money. 
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    Most of us seem in agreement that should they make changes (and they should) it wasn’t going to happen until his latest runs ends.
  • Jonny1Punch
    Jonny1Punch Posts: 434 Mover and Shaker
    I have never seen such a unanimous agreement for a major overhaul/nerf of a 5* ASAP. I honestly can’t see it not happening, however I doubt they will over-nerf him like oml. So ppl who are on the fence I think can safely pull.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,736 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have never seen such a unanimous agreement for a major overhaul/nerf of a 5* ASAP. I honestly can’t see it not happening, however I doubt they will over-nerf him like oml. So ppl who are on the fence I think can safely pull.
    If the usage factor, which was promoted as a main reason behind OML’s nerf, is a developer concern, then it seems likely that Gambit blows past their threshold. They said 10% of winning matches had OML on the team back then.  Gambit wins PVE, obviously, so is used more often than not.  I would guess that 95% of players with him run him in every match in PVP.  (The percentages can be debated, but if you have a champed Gambit, you run him unless you’re trolling or proving a point or something).  Note:  Boring.  Gambit is slowly overwriting the fun in the game, day by day.
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    bluewolf said:
    If the usage factor, which was promoted as a main reason behind OML’s nerf, is a developer concern, then it seems likely that Gambit blows past their threshold. They said 10% of winning matches had OML on the team back then.  Gambit wins PVE, obviously, so is used more often than not.  I would guess that 95% of players with him run him in every match in PVP.  (The percentages can be debated, but if you have a champed Gambit, you run him unless you’re trolling or proving a point or something).  Note:  Boring.  Gambit is slowly overwriting the fun in the game, day by day.

Like Daiches said, this is completely inaccurate. I personally almost never use gambit in pve and only use him for at most, half of pvp matches. 5Thor gets 10x as much play time as Gambit, while Thanos is still in a close second. I just don't think the usage argument is going to hold up in this case.
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    The usage would hold up in a single metric category, 5* pvp mmr matches.  It’s one tier of the game that is most impacted by 5Gambit.  The problem that’s been stated is that one he’s in classics, those trying to continue progressing from lower tiers into the 5* tier will not be able to compete in pvp without gambit.  So if you finally break through with 2 5*, say Angel and Ghost Rider, you will find your pvp experience to be completely unplayable past a few hundred points as you hit the existing gambit wall.

thats why he’s bad for the game.  The have/have-not divide will get bigger each day he’s in classics as fewer people can acquire him with any measure of success.
  • Jonny1Punch
    Jonny1Punch Posts: 434 Mover and Shaker
    The usage stat holds up completely true and exceeds OML in PVP, Simulator and LR. He is absolutely everywhere and far more prevalent then OML was in his prime. Far exceeding 10%. I have no idea what pve stats are like and that’s really not an issue. He’s all I see in everything outside of pve.

another reason oml was nerfed was that he “ did too much”. If this is a reason to nerf a 5*based on versatility  then gambit should be first in line...... he does way more then OML ever did and not only has a huge toolkit but is far more powerful then any 5* has a right to be. 
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,736 Chairperson of the Boards
    I will admit that my perception of Gambit’s PVE usage was probably colored by the Simulator (where mirroring was the best choice in the godawful Gambit nodes) and the DPvMPQ where he’s essential and a no brainer.  I agree that there are better PVE choices.  So I’ll pull that back.  In the end, the devs have the stats in front of them anyway.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    The usage stat holds up completely true and exceeds OML in PVP, Simulator and LR. He is absolutely everywhere and far more prevalent then OML was in his prime. Far exceeding 10%. I have no idea what pve stats are like and that’s really not an issue. He’s all I see in everything outside of pve.

another reason oml was nerfed was that he “ did too much”. If this is a reason to nerf a 5*based on versatility  then gambit should be first in line...... he does way more then OML ever did and not only has a huge toolkit but is far more powerful then any 5* has a right to be. 
    How are people not getting this?  Yes you see him everywhere but I presume you’re a 5* player. I’m a deep 4* player (51 champs) and almost never see him. I’m sure people at the 3, 2, and 1 star tiers also never see him. Then there’s PVE (half the game).

OML was EVERYWHERE. If a 2* player had just one yellow cover, they used him. That’s not true of Gambit and in fact one Black alone is the worst 5* build there is. 

Finally, OML didn’t do too much. He was used too much. He did one thing and one thing really well that contributed to his use. He healed. An example of a do too much character is Carol.  And she’s not in any nerf discussions. She used to be but the meta caught up just like every “OMG broken” character before her. 
  • lpearl
    lpearl Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    I absolutely believe OML was nerfed because his self-heal was too powerful. Gambit on the other hand makes people use their health packs. He doesn’t need to be nerfed because people need to use health packs to use him.
  • j0nats
    j0nats Posts: 149 Tile Toppler
    usage-wise i think thanos trumps gambit.  i would think grocket even exceeds usage of thanos due to more 4* players.  

if usage stats is the basis, nerf thanos and grocket first.   the only reason it seems 'everyone' is using gambit is this thread/forum is dominated by few vets who are transitioning to 5* land or is at 5* land.

oml before was higly usable to even the 2* tier back then with 1 yellow cover.

oh yes, juggs also deserves honorable mention to the usage statistic due to daily usage in dpd... nerf juggs!!!

• sirwookieechris
    sirwookieechris Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    j0nats said:
    usage-wise i think thanos trumps gambit.  i would think grocket even exceeds usage of thanos due to more 4* players.  

if usage stats is the basis, nerf thanos and grocket first.   the only reason it seems 'everyone' is using gambit is this thread/forum is dominated by few vets who are transitioning to 5* land or is at 5* land.

oh yes, juggs also deserves honorable mention to the usage statistic due to daily usage in dpd... nerf juggs!!!

Grocket is nothing alone. He needs another guardians member. Even then what really makes him overused is the third of Medusa. As someone who uses Grocket and gamora in PVE, there is no point in using them in pvp unless it’s simulator. It’s  not that good compared to a boosted. In simulator I look forward to seeing this team so I can bring deadpool, carol, and grocket to counter. If anything Medusa is the issue here.

Not in 5* land so not much to add about Gambit. But he excels on his own. Doesn’t need a combo to be OP. Not at all on the same level as Grocket or any 4*
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2018
    j0nats said:

Grocket is nothing alone. He needs another guardians member. Even then what really makes him overused is the third of Medusa. As someone who uses Grocket and gamora in PVE, there is no point in using them in pvp unless it’s simulator. It’s  not that good compared to a boosted. In simulator I look forward to seeing this team so I can bring deadpool, carol, and grocket to counter. If anything Medusa is the issue here.

Not in 5* land so not much to add about Gambit. But he excels on his own. Doesn’t need a combo to be OP. Not at all on the same level as Grocket or any 4*
    The point he was making is there are more 4* players than 5* players and Grocket is probably the most used 4* because of his use by everyone who has him in trivial nodes, seed teams, in the 4* Sim meta and at times when other guardians are boosted.
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    j0nats said:

Weirdly, I find that after they adjusted 1* Spidey's powers, he's now pound-for-pound stronger than Juggs in the 1* game and he'd be the only one I keep were I to run out of roster slots completely.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    I expect that they will not want to go through another PR fiasco like the OML nerf by nerfing Gambit....for a second time (ok we all the first time wasn't an actual nerf and maybe a buff).  I think the most likely solution is, as mentioned many times before, newer 5* will be closer to his level in power going forward than not.  Archangel surely wasn't and I haven't even paid attention to new Ghost Rider so I can't say much about him yet.  I also think 5* rebalances to make older characters stronger is a possibility as well, like they have done with the 4* tier.  The 5* tier though is still so much smaller than 4* tier was, they will probably wait until they have more data about the different characters before major 5* rebalances.  
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,581 Chairperson of the Boards
    Warbringa said:
    I expect that they will not want to go through another PR fiasco like the OML nerf by nerfing Gambit....for a second time (ok we all the first time wasn't an actual nerf and maybe a buff).  I think the most likely solution is, as mentioned many times before, newer 5* will be closer to his level in power going forward than not.  Archangel surely wasn't and I haven't even paid attention to new Ghost Rider so I can't say much about him yet.  I also think 5* rebalances to make older characters stronger is a possibility as well, like they have done with the 4* tier.  The 5* tier though is still so much smaller than 4* tier was, they will probably wait until they have more data about the different characters before major 5* rebalances.  

Thor, Archangel, and Ghost Rider aren't even remotely close to Gambit in power level.  He will be nerfed.  Sooner or later he will be nerfed.

It's either nerf Gambit, or literally boost everyone else in the tier (including Thanos.)