MPQ at Marvel.com (Kraven the Hunter) (1/9/18)

124»

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,391 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm sure you're right; if I had to assign a tone to these forums, it would also be overwhelming negative, so maybe i'm just projecting that on to those threads. I do seem to feel like most of those character threads are like "hey, that character i like/didn't know existed/can't stand is in the game!" and then some people like it, some don't, somebody says "they can't all be C4rol..." and then after 3 or 4 pages we start to get the real impressions after people get them champed and put them on non-loaner teams. 
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    This is absolutely untrue. People are chasing America covers like hot cakes and while I found her underwhelming (still hope I’m wrong) most saw her as one of the best 4* releases to pair with 5s and a PVE goddess. 
    America Chavez green may be the most useful single cover in the game.  Most 4* essential nodes following a release mean dead weight + 2 4* or 5* champs to carry.  Spamming critical tiles allows her to significantly punch above her weight (no pun intended).
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is absolutely untrue. People are chasing America covers like hot cakes and while I found her underwhelming (still hope I’m wrong) most saw her as one of the best 4* releases to pair with 5s and a PVE goddess. 
    America Chavez green may be the most useful single cover in the game.  Most 4* essential nodes following a release mean dead weight + 2 4* or 5* champs to carry.  Spamming critical tiles allows her to significantly punch above her weight (no pun intended).
    I am sincerely hoping I have enough Chavez covers to run her in Webbed Wonder next week when Phoenix is the fivestar essential. Those two together should be... Interesting. Might go with Wasp as the third to make sure there are special tiles to buff...
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018
    Quebbster said:
    I am sincerely hoping I have enough Chavez covers to run her in Webbed Wonder next week when Phoenix is the fivestar essential. Those two together should be... Interesting. Might go with Wasp as the third to make sure there are special tiles to buff...
    Are you just talking about the damage from crits coming from Boosted Phoenix match damage? I wouldn't think Jean's passive would trigger from America's critspam unless her critical becomes an actual match-5 (which tbf, does happen a bit).

Or is there a bug I don't realize?
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018
    DarthDeVo said:
    Bowgentle said:
    Do we know the two classic 4s needed for his Shield Training. Hoping it’s ones I have Champed already. The Iso crunch is real!
    Thing and Ant-Man.
    Dang.  Again a classic I don't have leveled (Thing).  Seems like there's always one despite 49 champs. 
    I think I'm slightly behind you with 42 champs, but I said the same thing (except it's Ant-Man for me, who's 4/5/3 but stuck at Level 147).

I fully expect the next SHIELD Training to require either Flaptain (4/4/5 Level 131) or Brock Venom (2/4/4 Level 115). Although I'm planning to have Sam champed relatively soon, but that can always change.  Months ago I had planned to have him champed before his Crash (which got bumped anyway), and that clearly didn't happen. And I do want to take Eddie to 209 before his Crash anyway too.
    Off the top of my head I didn’t have Kingpin, Invisible Woman, Thor, or Thing leveled.
    First Shield Training required Cyclops, X-Force Wolverine, and Professor X to get a Rogue cover. My Professor X wasn't close and I was in the middle of hoarding, so no cover for me. 

Nightcrawler required Rogue, Invisible Woman, and Elektra. I was in the process of cracking my hoard, so I ended up with enough covers for all three of them. Well, Sue was covered (but not leveled), and I got lucky with pulls for the other two. Once I pulled them up to 209, I got the cover for Kurt.

MEHulk required Nightcrawler, Thor, and Star-Lord. Thor was champed, and the other two had at least 10 covers, so I leveled them and got the MEHulk cover. 

Nico required MEHulk, Hulkbuster, and Fury. I finally had both of the Classics champed, but only about five covers on MEHulk and no chance to draw any, since he wasn't in tokens yet. No Nico cover. 

America required Nico, Kingpin, and Carnage. I had to put levels into Kingpin to get him to 209. I also thought I would get Nico there, as I made her my sole 4* bonus hero while opening a hoard of ~100 pulls. I got a grand total of two Nico covers, one of them a BH. Yep, that's right. One out of 100 or so. Had I gotten the five or so bonus heroes one would expect from that kind of pull, I could have gotten the America cover. 

Now with this one, I had to level Ant-Man. Thing's champed. But I have no ISO on hand and don't want to risk that much waste, so America is stuck Level 94. No Kraven cover.

Someone suggested they're picking Classics that are rarely used or champed at a lower rate than other 4*s, as a way to encourage people to spend ISO and level these characters. I don't know if that's true or not, but certainly seems plausible. 

My plan is to champ 'em all eventually anyway, so I'm not too bothered in the grand scheme of things. That's also why I'm kind of serious when I say I expect Flaptain and Brock Venom to be the required characters relatively soon. 

Besides Nico and America, all my unchamped 4*s have at least 10 covers, so it's just a matter of getting them to 209.
  • Pr0spect0r
    Pr0spect0r Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    @DarthDeVo Thor isn't a 4star I think it was a hull variant that was during that event. But regardless, I have not had a single 4star champ or decently covered that they have picked for each of these training events. So that's incredibly disheartening. 
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    @DarthDeVo Thor isn't a 4star I think it was a hull variant that was during that event. But regardless, I have not had a single 4star champ or decently covered that they have picked for each of these training events. So that's incredibly disheartening. 
    Jane Foster Thor is a 4*.
  • Pr0spect0r
    Pr0spect0r Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Jane Foster Thor is a 4*.
    Oh yea. Forgot about that one. I don't remember using her in shield training though. Pretty sure I had her at the time albeit **** covers
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    ZeiramMR said:
    Quebbster said:
    Are you just talking about the damage from crits coming from Boosted Phoenix match damage? I wouldn't think Jean's passive would trigger from America's critspam unless her critical becomes an actual match-5 (which tbf, does happen a bit).

Or is there a bug I don't realize?
    Mostly just America's crits setting up match-5s. Jean's purple can make it a lot easier too.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,736 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018
    It is no fun to be forced to use a character - whose strongest asset is defense against special tiles - repeatedly against characters who make zero to few special tiles.  I would have suggested that Kraven’s first turn as essential be a run of Venom Bomb - or a similar event - so players could have more fun with his abilities.  Facing a bunch of CD goons doesn’t show him off well.
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    bluewolf said:
    It is no fun to be forced to use a character - whose strongest asset is defense against special tiles - repeatedly against characters who make zero to few special tiles.  I would have suggested that Kraven’s first turn as essential be a run of Venom Bomb - or a similar event - so players could have more fun with his abilities.  Facing a bunch of CD goons doesn’t show him off well.
    He will be useful in the last sub I think. But that's about it. 
  • bluewolf
    D4Ni13 said:
    bluewolf said:
    He will be useful in the last sub I think. But that's about it. 
    I hope/think so! But the devs just have a schedule of events they follow (basically rotating in the one that was run longest ago) that is independent of essentials which follow some less obvious pattern, if any. I would suggest that for at least the new character, they try to run an event that lets players have fun with that characters’ strengths and forget the schedule for one event, if needed.

All that said, I have Howard from Daily Rewards that is dying and I may be able to save it with a lucky pull from Webbed Wonder.  So I personally am glad for that chance.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf said:
    I'm more disappointed in the color overlap in the All Essential nodes to be honest.
  • bluewolf
    ZeiramMR said:
    bluewolf said:
    I'm more disappointed in the color overlap in the All Essential nodes to be honest.
    Yes, that too, but that’s happened so many times before. There is obviously no concern on the devs part to make those nodes fun or make the essentials a team that works well together. It’s just “Who’s next in rotation?  Done.”  I think the real reason they started allowing mirror matches was that it eliminated the need to pay attention to who is boosted, or otherwise alter the schedule based on what opponents are in the event.