R142 Release Notes (12/18/17)

Comments

• mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phumade said:
    • \On mobile devices, the AP gauges for each power has been updated. The opacity on missing AP has been increased and Passive powers are now represented by alternating dark and light bars to help distinguish the power from activated powers.

@Brigby This is actually really badly implemented. Players use the down time of hte enemy turn to glance at what powers are fireable and what combos are possible. By flipping between the player and AI perspective. Its broken an ingrained behavior and it looks really/feels really disruptive.
    Agreed. I'd be willing to learn new behaviors if there was some overwhelming benefit to it, but there's not. We can already see what AP the enemy has using the other new interface you recently implemented. Why not add another tab on the right side of the screen that switches us over to the enemy's AP gauges should we want to see them?
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    Separately, I also don't like the stripes, they create too much visual information and actually make it harder to see what's going on when you're playing with a team with several passive powers. We already know if a power is passive or not based on what was already in place and our familiarity with the character, a more striking visual aid isn't necessary or helpful.

I do like the transparent colors of the empty AP gauges, though, that does add something useful when we're playing with characters we use less often (every now and again I forget what colors a character has and don't feel like checking and end up matching something I didn't need to.)
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2017
    JHawkInc said:
    "don't drink the punch!"

Can't get a dang image to embed, but surely this is a late Ragnarok entry for Valkyrie like how Yondu came late for GoG2, right?
    Too early.

Yondu came out with the home release for GotG Vol 2. The home release of Ragnarok isn't expected until February. 
    I hope to see Hela in February. Valkyrie was ok, but not ground breaking, really. Of course, you could say that about Hela too, but she is a much stronger presence when she is on the screen and would be an awesome villain in MPQ. 

talleman said:
    I don't like the stripes but i do like that you can see the enemys AP meter and what attacks he can do next turn :)
    The same for me. I like that I can see when the enemy is about to fire a power. I'm not a fan of the stripes though. If there is something distracting in the UI, it's the stripes, not the enemy AP. 
  • alphabeta
    alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker
    Now it’s live in game all I can say is

the new UI changes are rubbish - stripes looks terrible and the ai ap sliding in and out is annoying distracting and ****.

worst UI changes since sparkly victory banner of derision - let’s hope it gets rolled back as quick as that did - i’m Really not sure how long I can tolerate playing with the new game look it’s that bad.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    "don't drink the punch!"

Can't get a dang image to embed, but surely this is a late Ragnarok entry for Valkyrie like how Yondu came late for GoG2, right?
    IIRC, Yondu was released to coincide with the blu-ray release of GotG 2.  I think we're still about a month or so off for Thor: Raganrok's blu-ray release, so Valkyrie seems unlikely.
  • gmtosca
    gmtosca Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    "don't drink the punch!"

Molly from the Runaways. 
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Adam Sandler from Punch Drunk Love?
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    "Don't drink the punch" = Don't take the punch. Not taking punches is solid defense. Who defends? Defenders. Who is a Defender that defends, drinks, and punches? Jessica Jones. Does music play while she's doing all this? Yes. Who is a musician?

5* Dazzler confirmed

(I know its lame, but it feels you all aren't trying anymore)
  • cozmo1682
    cozmo1682 Posts: 135 Tile Toppler
    Hoser said:
    FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND EVERYTHING HOLY!  Just leave the AP bars alone!  WHY, WHY, WHY cant you quit messing with stuff that isnt broken?  I HATE the new AP bar that switches to an enemy readout. If i wanted to know what the enemy team has then I would manually check.....but I ALWAYS want to see my team’s AP.   STOP IT!
    Yes - I am not a fan of this change at all
  • gentgeen
    gentgeen Posts: 99 Match Maker
    Hoser said:
    FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND EVERYTHING HOLY!  Just leave the AP bars alone!  WHY, WHY, WHY cant you quit messing with stuff that isnt broken?  I HATE the new AP bar that switches to an enemy readout. If i wanted to know what the enemy team has then I would manually check.....but I ALWAYS want to see my team’s AP.   STOP IT!
    A little over the top for my taste, but I completely agree with Hoser !!

1) You just made a nice UI change that included the enemy AP notifications/bar  ... no need to throw out another one already.

2) As noted, I __ALWAYS__ want to see my own bar. 

Unless you have some crazy eye movement control, here is how I assume most of us work:
      a ) My turn -- I am scanning the board looking for match 4 & 5s or my prefered color matches.  I continue to watch the board as I make my match.
      b) Enemy turn -- my eyes go to the AP bar so I can review & to help plan my next move.   (Am I close to next power, do I look for a different specific color on my turn, etc)  
      c) Back on my turn -- and my eyes go back to the board, and repeat.

This change actually slows the overall game down (which I find ironic based on great changes you have made).  Now I have NOTHING to do during enemy moves but twiddle my thumbs. 

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,391 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't mind the enemy AP bar (which isn't to say I like it - i'm just not morally outraged over it), but I do wish that the passive power didn't have stripes. I find that adds a lot of visual clutter to an already crowded piece of screen real estate. and Now that there is so much movement happening with the bar swapping etc, it is doing more harm than good to playability.
  • TheHungryPet
    TheHungryPet Posts: 229 Tile Toppler
    Please roll back the UI changes.

I understand it's Christmas season but those candy bars are really unnecessary. I don't recall a single post complaining about not being able to distinguish between active/passive powers based on the AP bar display.
    Apart from being ugly, they just create visual noise. 

The switching of AP bars, as stated by other above, is confusing. I never cared about the enemy AP bar before, I just checked how many AP they had in their relevant colors. 

Especially with animations turned off, there's just way too much going on right now. The AP bar area has become a nervous mess.
  • Tachyon15
    Tachyon15 Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
    It was not noted that the ap bar switches from your own to enemy in between turns. In between turn is exactly the time I want to look at my OWN ap and plan my next move. Hate that change. We already have a tool for looking at enemy ap and this was entirely unnecessary.
  • Tachyon15
    Tachyon15 Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
    Now that I read the comments above I agree with the visual clutter of the new passive bar but at least it doesn't make me near as angry as the other change.
  • Königsmacher
    Königsmacher Posts: 61 Match Maker
    The switch to the enemy bar was kind of distracting, but I'm getting used to it. Knowing when a nuke is coming down my way is certainly nice, but thinking about my next move is better. This feature could use a toggle in the options menu.

The passive candy canes just look silly.
  • talleman
    talleman Posts: 445 Mover and Shaker
    At first i was kinda cool with the new meter as you can see the enemy attacks coming but after facing goons all day im sick and tired of those constant flashing bars. The new enemy meter bar has to go!
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    The ap bar change is tripping me out. Especially against goons.