S.H.I.E.L.D. Clearance Level Maximum S.H.I.E.L.D. Ranks

Options
DrStrangelov3
DrStrangelov3 Posts: 7 Just Dropped In

This thread to talk about the changes to the SCL mins/max. From D3Go:

S.H.I.E.L.D. Clearance Level Maximum S.H.I.E.L.D. Ranks

S.H.I.E.L.D. Clearance Levels 1 through 6 will now have both minimum and maximum S.H.I.E.L.D. Ranks. The ranges are listed below:
  1. Rank 1 through 14
  2. Rank 7 through 19
  3. Rank 10 through 26
  4. Rank 15 through 31
  5. Rank 20 through 46
  6. Rank 27 through 68
  7. Rank 32 and higher
  8. Rank 47 and higher
  9. Rank 65 and higher

Comments

• DrStrangelov3
    Options
    While I understand the change to keep whales from dropping down into lower SCLs, I feel like this is going to be pretty punishing on low level rosters. 

Just using my roster as an example, I just got to rank 33 recently, but don't have anywhere near the roster required to play in SCL 5.  I have 1 champed 3 (Strange) and all of my 2s are hovering around level 100. Now I'm going to be going against level 177 enemies?  That is going to hurt. And now I'm REALLY dreading getting to 47 and being forced into SCL 7. Don't you need like a bunch of well covered 3s for SCL 7? I feel like by the time I get to rank 47, I'll probably just have finished rostering the 3s, but not even working on covering most of them. 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah I can’t wait to see people unable to play because they are locked out of reasonable SCLs for their rosters...
  • sirwookieechris
    sirwookieechris Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    Options
    It almost feels as if they should have flipped it. No maximum SCL for ranks 1-4. Not exactly worth it for whales to drop down. All your probably getting is burned out vets who are taking an easy week or something. I get wanted to give lower rosters an easier time at placement, but not worth it if you’re locking people out of progression. This is pve after all.

those limits should be used at SCL 5-8. Stop people with champed 5* from crushing lower tiers just because they want an easy time getting CP or whatever excuses they have. If your already approaching the new 200 level limit, what are you doing in SCL 6 and 7?
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Luckily I can continue to play in SCL7. My main goal in PVE is always to go for top progression. Placement is not as important to me, but if I can get into top 50, all the better. That usually depends on having the required characters.
    For me SCL7 is the best if I look at effort-reward
  • Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Is this true? Can I get an official link? If this is true this is the most stupid tiny kitty thing that the people who make this game has done and that includes vaulting. You can not use an arbitrary number like this without damaging people.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Options
     I'm pissed off that when I want to devote less time into an event I'm now unable to because of my SR. 

Once again, for the 1,000,000th time, "Its about quality of life, not placement!!!"

Edit: Don' let those weak rosters play up if they want to devote 3 hours/day to PVE if you won't let us only devote 30 minutes to play down
  • killercool
    killercool Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Is this true? Can I get an official link? If this is true this is the most stupid tiny kitty thing that the people who make this game has done and that includes vaulting. You can not use an arbitrary number like this without damaging people.
    It is at the bottom of this announcement https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/69419/soul-gem-season-updates-12-14-17/p1
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    While I understand the change to keep whales from dropping down into lower SCLs, I feel like this is going to be pretty punishing on low level rosters. 

Just using my roster as an example, I just got to rank 33 recently, but don't have anywhere near the roster required to play in SCL 5.  I have 1 champed 3 (Strange) and all of my 2s are hovering around level 100. Now I'm going to be going against level 177 enemies?  That is going to hurt. And now I'm REALLY dreading getting to 47 and being forced into SCL 7. Don't you need like a bunch of well covered 3s for SCL 7? I feel like by the time I get to rank 47, I'll probably just have finished rostering the 3s, but not even working on covering most of them. 

That makes me wonder if people are going to deliberately stop levelling up, hoarding *EXP* now until they feel their roster is good enough, and then cash in all the EXP for a quick boost.
  • DrStrangelov3
    Options
    This is included as part of the information link currently pinned at the top of the General Discussion page. https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/69419/soul-gem-season-updates-12-14-17/p1 
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Stop levelling up isnt so easy. It would mean not opening tokens and no upgrading your character. Before the XP changes, you could do 5 clears in PVE, still get top progression and no extra 10 (?) XP for doing the 6th clear. Then again, level wasnt that important, but applying max level to SCL might change that
  • Wumpushunter
    Options
    Thanks Killercool and DrStrangelov3. I am sorry I doubted you, I just had hopes that the information you gave was a rumor because I could not believe how bad the information was for me personally.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dogface said:
    Stop levelling up isnt so easy. It would mean not opening tokens and no upgrading your character. Before the XP changes, you could do 5 clears in PVE, still get top progression and no extra 10 (?) XP for doing the 6th clear. Then again, level wasnt that important, but applying max level to SCL might change that
    I believe you can run your XP up arbitrarily high without increasing your level as long as you don't actually tap the icon to get the ISO. I'll try it on my alt account, since that one is still low enough that I can gain a couple of levels pretty quickly.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    Options
    The best solution would be to finally go All Progression and remove Placement in PvE but that will never happen. 
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

What's that you say? 5E nodes are only worth trivial points?

Well, even in DPvsMPQ, the shortest, cheapest event around, those two 5E nodes add up to more than 5% of points possible.

Good luck, kids!
    Note that DPvMPQ did not seem to have had the points of the 5* essential node adjusted.  Now we're back to it being worth less than the first easy node.  Not having the 5* is going to hurt if you're going for ultra high placement, but you should be able to compete for top 50 while missing the character.

I think the bigger problem with this change is that shield rank is still a bad measure of roster strength.  My shield rank is still steadily increasing, but my highest level characters are mostly staying where they are.  Instead I'm just bringing more characters up to a similar level, which doesn't necessarily help me fight harder enemies.
  • Wumpushunter
    Options

Daiches said:
    We used to go against level 395 Maggia Goons with level 94 Stormneto back when community scaling still existed. And won. repeatedly.. with 3h refreshes.
    #GetOffMyLawn

Now do it with non goons. I can kill 5 nodes of goons 6 times without taking a single point of damage. Take on 395 dark avengers with level 94 stormento and see what happens to you.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Daiches said:
    We used to go against level 395 Maggia Goons with level 94 Stormneto back when community scaling still existed. And won. repeatedly.. with 3h refreshes.
    #GetOffMyLawn

Now do it with non goons. I can kill 5 nodes of goons 6 times without taking a single point of damage. Take on 395 dark avengers with level 94 stormento and see what happens to you.
    I take t5 in vet brackets. That's what happened.
    So I'm guessing it went well? Though nodes with DA never went the full 395 in community scaling because not enough people beat them enough for that. Usually it was only early 300s.
    The op was talking about level 177s though, so barely champed 3star level. Like a usual slightly hard pvp match for them.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,154 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This doesn't affect me, but I can see how it could unintentionally hurt lower level rosters right at the beginning of the level range for their SCL. A change like this would have been very welcome if they'd also recalibrated everyone's SCL levels along with the updates to XP.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jamesh said:
    .  My shield rank is still steadily increasing, but my highest level characters are mostly staying where they are.  Instead I'm just bringing more characters up to a similar level, which doesn't necessarily help me fight harder enemies.
    Actually,  I don't think you really understand how important this actually is, "Instead I'm just bringing more characters up to a similar level" Having a wide flexibile roster is usually the key to unlocking the best pve nodes in the most efficient manner.  Its just as important in pvp when you can run counter teams and rotate a 1a, 1b, 1c 1d combo teams.

At the higher tiers of play, the game really revolves into countering teams.  Chars are fairly specialized now, and you definitely counter more effectively with a wide roster.

• Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options

This would all have worked perfectly fine if everyone's SHIELD rank hadn't been inflated by a year of rewarding participation with XP.

I'm sure a new player will be more than ready for SCL 7 by the time he reaches rank 69