MPQ at Marvel.com (Angel and Archangel) (12/12/17)

LakeStone
LakeStone Posts: 1,377 Community Moderator
edited December 2017 in MPQ Character Discussion
Hi Everyone - 
Angel and Archangel swoop into Marvel Puzzle Quest!  
Check out 3-Star Angel and 5-Star Archangel HERE!

Tagged:

Comments

• Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    It doesn't specifically state it but does Archangel actually go airborne for his black power?
  • JangoLore
    JangoLore Posts: 126 Tile Toppler
    Aww yess!!!!  So pumped for the character, and makes for an interesting response to Gambattery issues.  The images also look amazing!
  • UNC_Samurai
    UNC_Samurai Posts: 401 Mover and Shaker
    Airborne stuns?  I'm sure debugging that didn't take years off Patch's life.

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,913 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    I wonder who the 12 featured families are in MPQ.

(off the top of my head...)

Avengers
    SHIELD
    Defenders
    X-Men
    Fantastic 4
    Dark Avengers
    Spider-Man Family
    Inhumans
    Champions

Maybe:
    Team Cap
    Team Iron Man

Also, I really hope Angel isn't the proposed counter to Gambattery because it is a super weak one.  We already have plenty of characters that destroy/siphon/block/manipulate AP.  Heck Hood even does it passively.  One more won't effect the 0/0/5 Gambattery because he gets 6 for FREE every turn.  Please fix him. 
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Add Champions according to the update thread.

And I don't think Angel is meant to be a counter to Gambit. Character development takes them longer than that.
  • DjinnBabba
    DjinnBabba Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    Same question.... does 7 Black make him go airborne
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,544 Chairperson of the Boards
    Really sweet way of handling the variant 3/5. I mean, it feels obvious, but they didn't have to go this route. I'm glad that they did.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    It doesn't specifically state it but does Archangel actually go airborne for his black power?
    Same question.... does 7 Black make him go airborne
    You can see the text of the power in the pictures in the article.

Doesn't look like it sends him airborne.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    YESSSS! I had a feeling these two characters would be released this way for some time (a 5* Archangel and 3* Angel version), and even suspected there would be some sort of anti-airborne mechanic for them. I'm not surprised they limited that to just the 5*, although I am a little surprised they made it a passive. 

In hindsight, I find his inclusion on the most recent survey interesting. That wasn't that long ago, I'm sure they were finishing him up at that point. I wonder if that was meant to throw us off the trail. He was my vote, but now I kind of feel like it was a bit of a waste. Oh well. 
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Strange to make a 3/5* counter to Vulture. Is he that big of a problem in 4* land that they needed it?
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Ok, this seals it for me. The hoard will go to Gambit, Thor, and Archangel. Sorry, Daredevil, you were worthy but not liked well enough.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017

Josh Austin: Archangel will be a great character for players that do not use Vulture, but want a way to stop his onslaught and AP gain. It just makes sense for Archangel to have air superiority over Vulture

Soooo.. 3/4* players still do not have a counter against Vulture.. guess I have to join 5* land if I want to beat a 4*. Understandably there are no airborne abilities in 3* land but it would had been nice if the 3* version also had the airborne passive. As of now, this 3* version will sit next to useless Elektra and Starlord.

• Jathro
    Jathro Posts: 323 Mover and Shaker
    Which other two 5s (if any) will be featured in the Angel of Death vault?
  • n25philly
    n25philly Posts: 426 Mover and Shaker
    ugh, apocalypse again?  Well, my alliance won't be able to get the legendary token anyway so I'll play a match so they can get my the 3* covers and then go play something actually fun instead.
  • whoami
    whoami Posts: 74 Match Maker
    I will be interested to hear if consensus is to wait to dump the hoard until archangel enters LT. Is he enough of a Gambit counter?
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor

Josh Austin: Archangel will be a great character for players that do not use Vulture, but want a way to stop his onslaught and AP gain. It just makes sense for Archangel to have air superiority over Vulture

Soooo.. 3/4* players still do not have a counter against Vulture.. guess I have to join 5* land if I want to beat a 4*. Understandably there are no airborne abilities in 3* land but it would had been nice if the 3* version also had the airborne passive. As of now, this 3* version will sit next to useless Elektra, Starlord, and Hawkguy.

Hey now, Hawkguy can put in some work! Pales in comparison to his 5-star counterpart for sure, but Medusa/Carnage/Hawkguy & St4r-Lord/Coulson/Hawkguy against goons is still pretty darn fun. Elektra and 3-Lord are definitely wastes of space though lol. 

But yeah no Vulture counter for the 3-guy, and it doesn't sound like he'll work all that well stopping Gambit either. At least he looks cool! 
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    Soo, are we going to get another 5* in one of 4*s promote reward pool?
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor

Soooo.. 3/4* players still do not have a counter against Vulture.. guess I have to join 5* land if I want to beat a 4*. Understandably there are no airborne abilities in 3* land but it would had been nice if the 3* version also had the airborne passive. As of now, this 3* version will sit next to useless Elektra, Starlord, and Hawkguy.

Hey now, Hawkguy can put in some work! Pales in comparison to his 5-star counterpart for sure, but Medusa/Carnage/Hawkguy & St4r-Lord/Coulson/Hawkguy against goons is still pretty darn fun. Elektra and 3-Lord are definitely wastes of space though lol. 

But yeah no Vulture counter for the 3-guy, and it doesn't sound like he'll work all that well stopping Gambit either. At least he looks cool! 
    Yeah man, Hawkguy rules. True healing, blue and purple battery, countdowns for days. Aside from Elektra I think all the recent 3*s have been great. They all manage to keep a signature ability from the 5* version that brings something new to 3* land.

I think Angel will have have a role on a 4* roster. Cheap ap denial that works on goons? Put a pause on those Ares plus 2 symbiotes feeding him red and hitting rampage every other turn.

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,928 Chairperson of the Boards

whoami said:
    I will be interested to hear if consensus is to wait to dump the hoard until archangel enters LT. Is he enough of a Gambit counter?

There can be no Gambit/Gambat counter that stops AP gen. If there was such a character release it would break PvE because 80+% of the nodes in PvE feature goons that passively generate AP.

At best there can be partial responses where you can deny for short periods of time (no better than stunning) which require AP which means your already behind Gambit/Gambat. The only solution is to change the free AP in some manner (eliminate, tie to some condition etc).

As for Angel/ArchAngel, hitting airborne character seems like a niche feature because there aren't many who do / can go airborne so that power seems to be rarely needed.

KGB
  • Arix90
    Arix90 Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    KGB said:

whoami said:

There can be no Gambit/Gambat counter that stops AP gen. If there was such a character release it would break PvE because 80+% of the nodes in PvE feature goons that passively generate AP.

At best there can be partial responses where you can deny for short periods of time (no better than stunning) which require AP which means your already behind Gambit/Gambat. The only solution is to change the free AP in some manner (eliminate, tie to some condition etc).

As for Angel/ArchAngel, hitting airborne character seems like a niche feature because there aren't many who do / can go airborne so that power seems to be rarely needed.

KGB
    The best counter to gambit is to stun him with iceman /scarlet witch