Competitive Guide to Tapping - Make Mainstream to Eliminate

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dang, tapping this even must have been way more wide spread than I thought.  My alliance ended with rank 101, despite an average increase in production of 25%.  
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll said:
    Dang, tapping this even must have been way more wide spread than I thought.  My alliance ended with rank 101, despite an average increase in production of 25%.  
    This is the point some of use were trying to make.  This doesn't only affect top 5/10 play.  More people are doing it in ALL SL which will drive the scores up higher and higher. 
  • Avalanche Kincaid
    Avalanche Kincaid Posts: 83 Match Maker
    edited December 2017
    I tapped the first sub for 2 hours in CL9 because top 20 looked in jeopardy and just barely got 3rd place.  Tapped for an hour in second sub, finished 6th.  Did not tap in final sub, finished 16th but 9th overall.  Was'nt that bad with all the goons, but is not something I would do every PVE like some guys.  That said, if someone wants to tap their way to victory in Simulator they are welcome to the rewards.  Boosted hawkeye does not make him any less annoying to use with all his animations.  Fighting a rogue team with HE is also horrible.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    Tapping is an issue at the top of the brackets.  Glad it doesn’t impact you and you’re able to compete at a level that works for you.

There are a lot of hyper-competive pve players out there who now have to decide that if they want to compete for top placements by tapping.

I would classify myself as a top pve player, haven’t placed outside of t5 on normal events or t10 on new releases in at least a year (cl8 and cl9 only since cl9 came out).  Since the introduction of the set-scaling, I have watched my placements continue to slip lower.  I am rarely, if ever, lower than 3rd done on clears, and usually by a matter of seconds.  I grind as close to optimal as possible.

For the HaT event, I finished a few points shy of 98500 and just outside of t2.  The top 2 finishers (who get an extra 4* cover which is invaluable these days because of the incoming shield training where you will need a 209 nico) both tapped to above 99k.  And that trickles all the way down as it pushes people from 10th to 12th (bye bye LT) or 20th to 22nd (another cover lost).

Tapping is a problem that needs be fixed.

Im not saying it does not need fixed. 

I am saying to engage in behavior you see as problematic to get it attention is strange.

If more people start doing it to bring attention to it. What if the devs look at that and think it simply means player engagement is up. That they are really enjoying and supporting the game.

Engaging in any behavior you see as a problem only leads to a vicious cycle of discontent. It literally only makes the problem worse. You do not have to bring something all the way to it's worse state to be able to realize it's a problem and work toward fixing it.
  • broll
    edited December 2017
    I agree with tiomono it seems silly when stated as it is.  In reality I think this is fits more under the umbrella of 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    I have several two opinions on this topic.  First, if someone is willing to spend hours tapping to get higher placement than me, they are welcome to have it.  Some would say they deserve it and I would say their motivation towards this game is far greater than mine.  Second, while I am ok with someone who spends hours tapping to get better placement than me, I also reserve the right to believe that anyone spending hours tapping must have a lot of time on their hands or be severely addicted to the game.

There are a whole lot of better things that you can tap in life than 3 point nodes. Let's just start with beer kegs and Magic cards and leave it at that....
  • broll
    Warbringa said:
    There are a whole lot of better things that you can tap in life than 3 point nodes.
    Yeah 4 point nodes!  
    *rimshot*
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    It's a viable strategy and is done all the time. It's basically a form of civil protest. If D3 doesn't like this behavior (which they've stated they don't), and currently only a small percentage of people are doing it, they may turn a blind eye to the practice. If a significant amount of the playerbase engages in this, forcing another significant amount to stop playing PVE altogether, they may address it.

Cakes existed long before they removed them. It swelled to the point that you HAD to hop all over the place on cakes to get placement. If that happens similarly in PVE I could see them changing it up.
  • broll
    Ehhh, tapping is good for jockeying for position, adding hundreds of points, not many thousands.
    100 x 10 = 1000
    100 x 20 = 2000

So alliances top alliances with high number of tappers could easily increase alliance score by thousands. The only place it's a concern for alliance placement is in the top alliances, the ones more like to read this and then do it.  I'm not saying none of those other things are factors, but most of those existed before this and didn't have the massive swing this event did.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone in my 1.9 bracket for not tapping on a new release.

Seriously, not one tapper. Just good ol' fashion sprinting to the finish line. Some are completing clears, some aren't. But it's so nice to sneak that last clear in and see yourself in first and not some zombie 400 points ahead of you with blood clots.
    @Sm0keyJ0e Are you experimenting with tapping in the Simulator PVE?  Looks like you have sprinted ahead of the pack on day one ;)

Wait for it...

It’s funny to see that some talking against tapping, tap away right now in my current slice.

Make up your mind, against or for it
    Wait for it...

It’s funny to see that some talking against tapping, tap away right now in my current slice.

Make up your mind, against or for it
    I think we are watching the same person.  In fairness it looks more likely that they have just done some additional clears because they think they will not be online at the end time (their score has not moved for hours).

Wait for it...

Sm0keyJ0e said:
    Geez, can you guys not tell the difference between someone who doesn't care about an event and someone who is tapping?? Two very different things....
    AND THE PITCHFORKS ARE OUT! RELEASE THE HOUNDS!

Beware all ye who choose to not play optimally, for the tappers have now created a paranoia which is infecting our culture. But let us lay fear into those that divide us!

Jules said:

Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy My brothers.

• tiomono
    Sm0keyJ0e said: 
    It's a viable strategy and is done all the time. It's basically a form of civil protest. If D3 doesn't like this behavior (which they've stated they don't), and currently only a small percentage of people are doing it, they may turn a blind eye to the practice. If a significant amount of the playerbase engages in this, forcing another significant amount to stop playing PVE altogether, they may address it.

Cakes existed long before they removed them. It swelled to the point that you HAD to hop all over the place on cakes to get placement. If that happens similarly in PVE I could see them changing it up.
    This is my issue. You do something that you find to be bad for the game in order to discourage other people from playing. So that a change can happen. 

That's the viscious cycle I was referring to. That's how communities crumble and fun games die.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    tiomono said:
    Sm0keyJ0e said: 

This is my issue. You do something that you find to be bad for the game in order to discourage other people from playing. So that a change can happen. 

That's the viscious cycle I was referring to. That's how communities crumble and fun games die.

I am not sure I agree but I appreciate your position. There were two distinct camps during the Cake Ages--those who wanted them (even though it was not intended game play) and those who didn't. Many of those who didn't were forced to play along to keep pace for placement rewards. I think left unchecked the same thing will occur here in PVE. I personally don't think that's good for the game, and there is historic precedent that D3 agrees with me, but to each their own. I personally refuse to tap. If I slowly get pushed out of t10 or t20 rewards due to my stubbornness over wanting less time devoted to this game and not more, then I will have to live with that.
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    And to continue this thought-train, just wait until animations are gone.  More bang for buck on less time tapping.
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    tiomono said:
    Sm0keyJ0e said: 

FWIW, there is a difference between doing something that is unhealthy for a short term with a goal of proving a point, and doing something that is unhealthy as a freely decided choice of a way of life.

Personally, I dislike tapping, but I dislike most things about this game that require you to spend more than an hour or so on a *daily play* mobile game in order to progress/be remotely competitive. As with others, I don't have the time in my life or day to participate in the nonsense, but I also don't take the game quite as seriously as some others do. I think they have a point, so I pretty much support the short term action as a method of calling for change.

P.S. PTHFFFFT to everybody who told me I was imagining it 3 months ago or so when I posted saying that tapping still seemed to be prevalent in PVE.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    tiomono said:
    Sm0keyJ0e said: 

If it's really a problem, that will happen anyway. If it's all in our heads, if tapping is an exploit too far for the playerbase, then what anyone worry? 

Problems are, the devs design decisions are enabling tapping, and this playerbase has yet to see an exploit it wouldn't swallow whole hog.

One thing that won't contribute to change, is saying nothing. The forum has been radio silent regarding tapping for a long time. I am glad that has changed.

If the devs like/or don't mind tapping, and thinks it's "engagement", then it should be a recognized part of the game, openly discussed and debated, resources compiled and published, as with 'optimal' play, how to compete in pvp, etc.

Silent? I've been calling out the increasingly big problem since they added LTs with Scl 9. That's like August or so? Being in a bracket with a certain band 90% of the time makes the problem that much more visible.
    And I can say that over the past few weeks it went for one to two to three to five tappers. Next release will see dozens.
  • tiomono
    tiomono said: I
    Sm0keyJ0e said: 

If it's really a problem, that will happen anyway. If it's all in our heads, if tapping is an exploit too far for the playerbase, then what anyone worry? 

Problems are, the devs design decisions are enabling tapping, and this playerbase has yet to see an exploit it wouldn't swallow whole hog.

One thing that won't contribute to change, is saying nothing. The forum has been radio silent regarding tapping for a long time. I am glad that has changed.

If the devs like/or don't mind tapping, and thinks it's "engagement", then it should be a recognized part of the game, openly discussed and debated, resources compiled and published, as with 'optimal' play, how to compete in pvp, etc.

Then yes say something. But to try and get the whole community to do the very action you want stopped is craziness. I can not see how that actually benefits anyone.

How long should players jump fully into a system they feel is awful trying to draw attention to it while hoping for change. 1 event, 2, 1 month, 2, where do you draw the line? To plunge wholly into a playstyle you feel is bad for the game and unhealthy for the people doing it is strange. 

Others have said that the developers have acknowledged obsessive play as something they do not want to promote. They have a precedent for change. Approach it with that in mind.

We do not need to try and drive the entire competitive playerbase into insanity by trying to get them all to tap for optimal play so that they can be free of tapping for optimal play.
  • broll
    tiomono said:
    tiomono said: I
    Sm0keyJ0e said: 

Then yes say something. But to try and get the whole community to do the very action you want stopped is craziness. I can not see how that actually benefits anyone.

How long should players jump fully into a system they feel is awful trying to draw attention to it while hoping for change. 1 event, 2, 1 month, 2, where do you draw the line? To plunge wholly into a playstyle you feel is bad for the game and unhealthy for the people doing it is strange. 

Others have said that the developers have acknowledged obsessive play as something they do not want to promote. They have a precedent for change. Approach it with that in mind.

We do not need to try and drive the entire competitive playerbase into insanity by trying to get them all to tap for optimal play so that they can be free of tapping for optimal play.
    The line is when the devs start putting changes pro tapping because the metrics show people love it :-p

We all know that's what they really listen to.
  • tiomono
    edited December 2017
    broll said: 
    The line is when the devs start putting changes pro tapping because the metrics show people love it :-p

Do you think the metrics may indicate that players like or accept it when a large portion of the top end alliances all start tapping to make some sort of statement?

I appreciate the frustration tapping is causing. But there has to be a better way to address it. You don't start a revolution by becoming what you are trying to overthrow.

Viva la puzzlequest!
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    Warbringa said:

There are a whole lot of better things that you can tap in life than 3 point nodes. Let's just start with beer kegs and Magic cards and leave it at that....
    Maple trees? Committee chairpersons? Dance floors?!
  • tiomono
    tiomono said:
    broll said: 

Do you think the metrics may indicate that players like or accept it when a large portion of the top end alliances all start tapping to make some sort of statement?

I appreciate the frustration tapping is causing. But there has to be a better way to address it.....
    What got them to move on it before? Players tapping trivial nodes for 1pt each. They saw that in the metrics and decided it was not desirable. So, no, based on that I do not think the devs will decide players like tapping therefore it must be good. Some players liked tapping trivials, it was killed; some players liked cupcakes, hey were killed; some players liked retreating, that was killed; some players now like tapping 3pt nodes.

But the devs also thought eliminating tapping entirely would increase the occurrence of ties, and lead to calls for more rewards to be doled out. The horrors! And so here we are.

What, other than increased tapping expanding in their metrics, do you think will get them to move again?

I honestly do not know. I'm still going to play as long as I enjoy the game. I sincerely hope players don't burn themselves out and quit because they decided to jump on the tap express. 

Tappa, tappa, tappa, tappa, choo, choo!