Competitive Guide to Tapping - Make Mainstream to Eliminate

Comments

• Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    I’m about 250 points behind in final sub of new release event ending tonight. How early should I start final grind/tapping 4* node to take the lead?
    So you are 83 taps on the 3 point node behind.  This is a hard sub to do it on.  A lot of tappers in SL 1.9 brackets 1/2/3 failed big time.   In fact 2 major tappers almost missed top 10 because this sub takes some time.  
    I’m in your bracket and that explains why I sneaked into top 10. Was just outside it the whole event. Glad it backfired
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    What if slices disappeared completely. An event is available to play for what is currently all the slices. The event tracks you like a marathon race. It notes your personal start and finish time and awards you placement based on that. So if a player wanted to blitz 6 clears on the nodes that would be the "optimal" way. But you could do that with one hour left if you were fast enough. It would all come down to speed instead of timing when you hit nodes to maximise point refreshes.
  • killercool
    killercool Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone in my 1.9 bracket for not tapping on a new release.

Seriously, not one tapper. Just good ol' fashion sprinting to the finish line. Some are completing clears, some aren't. But it's so nice to sneak that last clear in and see yourself in first and not some zombie 400 points ahead of you with blood clots.
    @Sm0keyJ0e Are you experimenting with tapping in the Simulator PVE?  Looks like you have sprinted ahead of the pack on day one ;)

• jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Someone please enlighten me: how do you "start early"? 
    Given the way things work at the moment, most people consider optimal play to be:
    1. At the beginning of the event, play every node repeatedly until it drops in value (usually 4 times, but 2 for survival nodes and once for team-up nodes).
    2. For 2 day sub-events, wait 24 hours for the nodes to refresh fully and play them again once.
    3. Wait until just before the end of the sub-event, play the nodes repeatedly until they hit zero points or close to zero.
    The order you decide to play the nodes will also affect score (since you can't complete matches in zero time) and how late you can start the final clears, but this is the basics.

In this context, "starting early" is in relation to (3): since some nodes never drop to zero points when played repeatedly, it is possible to outscore the above strategy by playing it many times for negligible points rather than a few times for maximal points.
  • nyck1118
    nyck1118 Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    Just finished 11th in HaT. Players in 1st and 2nd were about 980 pts ahead of me.  They we're 700 pts ahead of the guy who finished 4th.

Top toons at 469 for 1st, top for 4th = 550s x10

They finished behind the 4th place person every sub during 4x. So my guess is needing around 1k pts to make up that difference and finish with a 700 pt lead. So 1k/3 = 333/3 = 111 extra taps per sub. 
  • Kevmcg
    Kevmcg Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    Couple of things:

1) I had it as a throw away sentence at the end of my initial post, but I am concerned about the effects of no animations. This plays even further into the hands of tappers. If I can now finish a node in 30 sec, that used to take 1 min, the idea of tapping and gaining on my competition is doubly attractive.

2) PVE Pinball is a GREAT idea for a game mode, but one thing would have to change - the randomness of the boards. I would not want to have a bad day with a lot of hard to find single matches, while others had boards with 2 match-5s ready to go (aka: AI Jean Grey boards). This would equal out with increased sample size of 30+ matches that needed to be won, but it still may not be "fair" as competitive PVE.
  • GibbletsGrabber
    GibbletsGrabber Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
    It’s funny to see that some talking against tapping, tap away right now in my current slice.

Make up your mind, against or for it
  • killercool
    killercool Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    It’s funny to see that some talking against tapping, tap away right now in my current slice.

Make up your mind, against or for it
    I think we are watching the same person.  In fairness it looks more likely that they have just done some additional clears because they think they will not be online at the end time (their score has not moved for hours).

• GibbletsGrabber
    GibbletsGrabber Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
    You might be right. 
    Last time I checked main and it was more but sub hasn’t shifted

• The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Most of the people that against Tapping are now tapping on purpose to draw attention to this. 
  • tiomono
    edited December 2017
    Most of the people that against Tapping are now tapping on purpose to draw attention to this. 
    This is probably the strangest way to oppose something you hate I have ever seen.

Imagine right now that you hate people that run red lights. So you decide to run red lights to bring attention to the matter. Or you really dislike internet shorthand. (Lol omg etc etc...) So you decide to use it non stop to bring attention to how much you do not like it.

You do not need to engage in behavior that you think is exploiting or self destructive to bring attention to it.
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2017
    Please don’t make a comparison of sexual harassment to a match 3 game.  It’s not valid or appropriate in any way.
  • tiomono
    edited December 2017
    LifeofAgony said: 
    Please don’t make a comparison of sexual harassment to a match 3 game.  It’s not valid or appropriate in any way.
    Fixed it for you. The point still stands.

It is beyond bizzare to engage in behavior you do not approve of to bring attention to it.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    Geez, can you guys not tell the difference between someone who doesn't care about an event and someone who is tapping?? Two very different things....
  • LifeofAgony
    It’s still not comparable to any real world scenario.  In the actual context of this (you know, in MPQ as it’s the the thing we’re talking about) it’s not an illogical argument based on d3/Demi past actions that more people need to do this to draw attention to it.  The premise for the OML nerf was “over-usage”.  It’s a pretty straight-line to draw to say that if you’re not happy with tapping, the more people that do it, the more it will put the pressure on those in power to evaluate as they alleged they were doing months ago as @Brigby has alleged.
  • tiomono
    It’s still not comparable to any real world scenario.  In the actual context of this (you know, in MPQ as it’s the the thing we’re talking about) it’s not an illogical argument based on d3/Demi past actions that more people need to do this to draw attention to it.  The premise for the OML nerf was “over-usage”.  It’s a pretty straight-line to draw to say that if you’re not happy with tapping, the more people that do it, the more it will put the pressure on those in power to evaluate as they alleged they were doing months ago as @Brigby has alleged.
    But the real life connection is there. Do I need to go back and quote every every player in this topic alone that says they feel tapping is unhealthy physically for the player.

Engaging in behaviour you feel is self destructive to make a point is strange.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    @LifeofAgony is correct.  The point of an all out tap off is to try and show how broken it is.   That's the whole point.  Example, the top score we thought was perfect for the last PVE H.O.T was 98500 without tapping.  I saw a few over 99,000.  Insane.  
  • tiomono
    The rockett said: i
    @LifeofAgony is correct.  The point of an all out tap off is to try and show how broken it is.   That's the whole point.  Example, the top score we thought was perfect for the last PVE H.O.T was 98500 without tapping.  I saw a few over 99,000.  Insane.  
    Meanwhile in my nico release event on scl 8 I got top 50 without even doing 6 clears. Not everyone sees or feels the effects of the "deadly scourge" that tapping supposedly is.
  • LifeofAgony
    edited December 2017
    Tapping is an issue at the top of the brackets.  Glad it doesn’t impact you and you’re able to compete at a level that works for you.

There are a lot of hyper-competive pve players out there who now have to decide that if they want to compete for top placements by tapping.

I would classify myself as a top pve player, haven’t placed outside of t5 on normal events or t10 on new releases in at least a year (cl8 and cl9 only since cl9 came out).  Since the introduction of the set-scaling, I have watched my placements continue to slip lower.  I am rarely, if ever, lower than 3rd done on clears, and usually by a matter of seconds.  I grind as close to optimal as possible.

For the HaT event, I finished a few points shy of 98500 and just outside of t2.  The top 2 finishers (who get an extra 4* cover which is invaluable these days because of the incoming shield training where you will need a 209 nico) both tapped to above 99k.  And that trickles all the way down as it pushes people from 10th to 12th (bye bye LT) or 20th to 22nd (another cover lost).

Tapping is a problem that needs be fixed.

• Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Man, it already takes way too much time to clear every node 7 times if you're going for placement. Who the hell has time for this nonsense?