Competitive Guide to Tapping - Make Mainstream to Eliminate

Kevmcg
Kevmcg Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
For the record, I hate the concept of tapping. Good game design would remove this element from competitive PVE play. For as long as it is allowed, I've had to adapt so as to not miss out on top rewards. One of the other threads had a good idea that the only way to eliminate is to make it more mainstream. More prevalent tapping will shine a spotlight on it and many more players will get even more frustrated and burned out from this currently allowable practice. So here is a guide for any player:

1) Find the node that you can beat repeatedly and mindlessly. You will want to pick a 2-3pt hard or essential node. Many possible teams, but good example in current PVE is Gambattery (also OP/broken) with boosted Jean Grey or PHX and 5DD. 5Strange also good with goons to win with no character damage. Thanos is very fast, but not good if repeated taps bring your health down too fast.

2) Lost Points - A 540 pt node will recharge almost 8 pts/hour. This is found by 540 / 3 = 180 pts over 24 hours. 180 / 24 = 7.5.  These lost points are multiplied by 3 passes in a final grind.
TOTAL LOSS of 24 pts/hour started early.

3) Gained Points - A 3 pt node would need to be hit 8 times over the hour to break even (3 * 8 = 24). Every clear after is "gravy" adding to the maximum points you can achieve on other players that are playing optimally. Some nodes can be cleared 60 times/hr with effort, but even winning a modest extra 40 times over the hour while watching TV or on the exercise bike results in a:
TOTAL GAIN of 120 pts/hr started early.

4) NET GAIN of 96-100 pts/hour started early. 
Do you need to gain 40-50 points on another player to pass them for a higher tier reward? You need to start 30 min earlier.  Competitive players of course now watch closer for the 2-3 point gains on the leader board. One player starting to tap will cause others to also tap to maintain their lead.

Overall, bad game design resulting in anti-competitive behavior. Many proposed fixes on forum. "Easiest" would be to just make node points higher (times 10). A 5400 pt node, would gain 1800 pts over 24 hours and result in about 240 lost points/hour. It is not possible to tap fast enough (80 clears per hour) to make it worth the effort.

Of course with graphics turned off, maybe the skies the limit for tappers!!!

Comments

• LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    Wonder if this gets removed or not.  A guide of how to spend even more time on a match-3 game.  Kudos for spelling this out for everyone not on line so hopefully more and more people will start tapping and this might actually get fixed.
  • CharlieCroker
    CharlieCroker Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    Great guide.  And I'd point out that in clearance levels lower than CL9 even the 5* essential can make sense if it's easily beatable/a goon only node.

For example in CL7 the Gambit essential is worth 160pts for the first 4 clears, and 4pts for every extra clear after the first 7.  I'll let someone else do the maths here, but at face value this is clearly the best node to tap this event/CL.  Probably why someone in my bracket (3.7) started tapping at least 10h before the end of the sub.
  • adamdivine
    adamdivine Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    That's true, with the lowering of 5* essential points in cl7, they inadvertently made tapping more productive. 
  • Kevmcg
    Kevmcg Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    160 pt node would only lose 9 pts per hour.  Three extra passes at 4 pts each goes over breakeven.  You can start 10 hours early as long as you make sure you do at least 3 extra passes per hour for the rest of the sub.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    @Kevmcg I guess I will not finish my guide.  Thanks for saving me the work!!  Now I think there needs to be an event that is planned for a Tap Off. 
  • Avalanche Kincaid
    Avalanche Kincaid Posts: 83 Match Maker
    I think the best way to have a tap off is to join the same slice with 10 of your buddies at the same time and everyone tap 2 or 3 hours early every sub.  That would be enough to have the regular top 5 crowd alarmed
  • Sandmaker
    Sandmaker Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    While I appreciate the effort, if you look at the scores of any given event you'll see that the vast majority (>90%) of players don't even hit the optimal 4 clear score during their first clear of each sub.

I kind of doubt tapping is ever going to be mainstream. 

• The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Somebody is already tapping my SL 1.9 last sub.  You know, that ends in 13 hours.  
  • Fl_plague
    Fl_plague Posts: 1 Just Dropped In
    For what it’s worth Smokey I usually tap. But I started to late and it won’t make a difference now.
  • CharlieCroker
    CharlieCroker Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    I'd like to say the same for my 3.7 bracket apart from the one tapper who made 200pts on sub 1 and 400pts on sub 2.  If it stays like that I may have a chance for t2 or at least know that I was beaten by somebody who was quicker/had a bigger roster rather than simply had 12h on their hand to mindlessly tap tap tap...
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tapping is mandatory. Get used to it. It's only been this way since August and is ramping up due to the attention it's getting.
  • Jaguar
    Jaguar Posts: 11 Just Dropped In
    Thanks for the guide. I have a question. How do you find out which nodes will give 3pts before you start tapping?
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    The last hard node and 4* essential are 3 points nodes, always.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    And people talked about the entitlement in the win based PvP threads. *eyeroll*
  • adamdivine
    adamdivine Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone in my 1.9 bracket for not tapping on a new release.

Seriously, not one tapper. Just good ol' fashion sprinting to the finish line. Some are completing clears, some aren't. But it's so nice to sneak that last clear in and see yourself in first and not some zombie 400 points ahead of you with blood clots.
    I was in that bracket and i agree wholeheartedly. But i have to say, i rarely am in a bracket with tappers
  • AlexxKats
    AlexxKats Posts: 99 Match Maker
    edited December 2017
    broll said:
    And people talked about the entitlement in the win based PvP threads. *eyeroll*
    Seems you keep being irrelevant everywhere at threads that don't talk about what you want.

Get this into your thick skull:

NOONE MINDED POINTS OR WIN COUNTS, BUT MANY COMPLAINED ABOUT REWARDS THAT WE WERE GETTING OVER A YEAR NOW (CP) MISSING FROM REWARDS AND ABSOLUTELY INSANE NUMBER OF WINS REQUIRED FOR THE REST PROGRESSION, OR AS MANY HAVE SAID: OVER DOUBLE THE WORK FOR LESS THE REWARDS. 

Now, read as many times as you need to understand that thing, before you speak of entitlement and other threads high-jacking other problems the game has to just make another post.

-----------------------------------------------

Regarding PvE tapping, it can be easily solved by making the PvE part as non competitive (make all placement rewards into progression ones), or by counting the match time for each node to complete and summing that amount (maybe even add limited tries for each node, 4~7 to match current optimal), or other new ideas that have passed by in the suggestions part of the forum.

-----------------------------------------------

Regarding the Guide, yeah, let's hope that works.

Only thing i've seen work so far in this game fast enough, has been to stop the buy clubs as a total. Because as long as you keep spending $$$ on their game, they will assume the game is ideal and people enjoy it as is.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone in my 1.9 bracket for not tapping on a new release.

Seriously, not one tapper. Just good ol' fashion sprinting to the finish line. Some are completing clears, some aren't. But it's so nice to sneak that last clear in and see yourself in first and not some zombie 400 points ahead of you with blood clots.
    I was in that bracket and i agree wholeheartedly. But i have to say, i rarely am in a bracket with tappers
    It's not as rampant in cl9, but the first two subs were definitely tappable. The fine folks in that bracket simply decided not to do it.