Why is discord a better source of information than this forum?

Options
124»

Comments

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,313 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The Marvel website always leads the information train, as it were, for new characters.  It is probably contracted that way, as the characters are Marvel characters, after all.  Marvel wants to control their characters and how they are presented as much as possible.

And one assumes there is always the hope that a Marvel fan on their website will find out about a favorite character appearing in MPQ and decide to download MPQ/go back to it/ etc.  (Along with the other Marvel games.)

The Discord server does not get information "early".  Sometimes a bug is confirmed there prior to here, but that isn't a huge "scoop" as much as confirmation of an "oops".  If you want to join the server and lurk to see those postings, you are welcome to do so.  Be prepared for lots and lots of fan chat about character rankings, theorycrafting, what ifs, etc.  But it's a friendly group so anyone who wants to discuss the game (or sometimes baseball and other completely unrelated topics) can do so.

If the Piecing Together article appears on Discord first, it is because a fan/player/user found it on Marvel's site and posted a link (totally valid to do, after all - it is an informal chat server). There is no official corporate attempt to disseminate the Marvel Piecing Together article on Discord before here.  And typically, the posting here is only an hour or two behind the Marvel Piecing Together article anyway.
  • DesertTortoise
    DesertTortoise Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2017
    Options
    So square got a reply on PvP in my thread about how useless the forums are,  which had nothing to do with pvp but  did not get a reply from anyone about the actual topic of how we get info here behind marvel website and far behind the discord server. What a world.

Aside from the occasional bug reporting, you still haven't shown any examples of how the forums are 'far behind' the Discord channel. 

Edited for clarity. 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    Options
    So square got a reply on PvP in my thread about how useless the forums are,  which had nothing to do with pvp but  did not get a reply from anyone about the actual topic of how we get info here behind marvel website and far behind the discord server. What a world.

The forums aren't behind the Discord server. That's been made really clear and it doesn't warrant a response. 
    I have to disagree with you to a certain extent.  When it comes to player has a question about something (is x a bug, when's the expected fix, when will we learn more, etc) Discord is much faster.  For big reveals of something no one was expecting and thus no one was really asking about, Forums are usually first (or sometimes Marvel.com).

Why do direct questions get a faster answer on Discord?  Simple, the devs are on Discord and the forums have a middle man.  When you a question the forums the Demiurge employees often know the answer right away or can check much quicker than Brigby can based on being the ones actually in the code.  

Also I get the impression that most if not all of what Brigby says needs to be signed off by some one else, where as the Demi guys seem more free to speak off the cuff.

I don't think the format plays in that much of a part.  If the Demi guess trolled the forums all day and Brigby was in charge of Discord I suspect the Forums would get quicker/better answers than they do now.

TL;DR:
    Brigby = Middle Man.  Pros: Charged with giving most big reveals with the most details.  Cons:  Usually doesn't have direct answers so has to go get them and get approval to give the response at all.
    Demi = Direct Access.  Pros:  They typically know or can get the answers immediately and don't seem to be as tied down by approval.  Cons:  Not permitted to spill big reveals before Marvel.com/forums.  
  • DesertTortoise
    DesertTortoise Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I agree with you across the board, Broll. I should clarify specifically that I meant the Discord server doesn't get new release information or anything exclusive that isn't on the forums. When it comes to bugs popping up right after a patch gets implemented sometimes there is some real-time feedback. It was incorrectly brought up that the Discord server got exclusive information from the Thor release which not only isn't true but has never happened in the time I've been there. I meant to quash any perception that things like that were commonplace. 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Yeah I figured you were on the same page.  Just wanted to give an explanation for those not as familiar with Discord what the differences are and where people get the impression that Discord has better information (which is only true based on certain definitions of better)