Why is discord a better source of information than this forum?

Options

Comments

• Avalancher
    Avalancher Posts: 125 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Put yourself in a developer's shoes.  Would you post on these forums if every thing you say would be attacked, disputed, and tried to be proven false multiple times?

I wouldn't.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Put yourself in a developer's shoes.  Would you post on these forums if every thing you say would be attacked, disputed, and tried to be proven false multiple times?

I wouldn't.

It's not though.
    Search for the threads/posts from demiurge_anthony from 2016.
    Completely normal discussions, with lots of thanks for talking to us.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Options

I wouldn't.
    The developers have no reason to interact with the customers. They can code MPQ? Then if/when the game fails they'll either code a new game for their company or get fired and interview and get a job with another company. 

They're paid employees. Some are probably passionate about MPQ. Others are probably not. They're passionate about making money for themselves and/or their dependents. 

The passionate ones are too busy fixing every issue in the game they can, because they love the game. The others could care less if Dakens power fires twice as long as their checks keep coming in. 
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,312 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wymtime said:
    The reality is forums for games are dying in general.  Clash Royale is closing its forum because it is too toxic.  The benefit of credit and discord is it is usually a younger group and now more mainstream.  It is like Facebook and Instagram.  Facebook is where you post pictures for family to see and Instagram is for your friends.
    Its a sad day when you have to have another program to get information when the web forum is faster, easier, and far more interactive.
    This forum is neither faster, nor easier, nor more interactive.

Forums are slow, the equivalent of posting handbills on bulletin boards, and best serve as repositories. It's an old format that goes back decades. They still have their place.

This one fails to serve as a long-term reference due to destructive ports and no apparent attempt to preserve old content, and a failure to provide search and indexing functions worth a flip. 

Chat apps present open, real time rooms. Try one some time.
    Piggybacking on this thought:

Forum posts from the devs must be vetted (to some degree) and carefully worded.  Back and forth is minimal at best.  We get announcements and “I’ll check into that” here.  But that’s to be expected.

Even if history is lost, what’s here needs to be official and considered, while it is here.
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    Options
    At one point there was very little to NO update on small or major game changes and no interactions at all, they heard the request from the forum to have a warning and updates and actually have been doing so. Then they added a in game help and alerts so the forums warnings are really just them being courteous. 

But of course that wasn't enough and now has snow balled into complaining INSTANTLY and a ton of negativity its almost pointless for a dev to post in this forum because anything they say can and will be used against them and dissected word by word.

On reddit or discord they can "talk" or "leak" or mention how they feel about something without it being used against them or the company over and over again. 
  • Avalancher
    Options
    Bowgentle said:

I wouldn't.

It's not though.
    Search for the threads/posts from demiurge_anthony from 2016.
    Completely normal discussions, with lots of thanks for talking to us.
    And now? What happens every day here to anyone who dares to say something positive about the game?

No thanks.
  • Doc L
    Doc L Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    For things like this, it’s often good to look at other games. Marvel Heroes has 2 official forums (last I looked, one for PC and one for console), and the Developers regularly post there. There’s interaction, sure there are still jerks on there too, but the Mods deal with it, or the posts are ignored. They play online with players relatively regularly, and answer questions as they do - they answered a couple of my questions when they were on their one time, it’s very open. 

I miss Developers posting on here, I miss their videos. I agree some people on here complain far too much, in a negative way, and it would put me off if I were a Developer. 
  • Avalancher
    Options
    Somebody in the thread about the $2 glitch just stated that D3 is worse than Fox News.

Do you understand now why they stopped coming here?
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Ducky said:
    There's a difference between raising concerns and being disrespectful and rude. Unfortunately the latter happens far too often and it's why they no longer post here. 

When you treat your customers (last I checked, that's what we are) like petulent children who are to be ignored, you've lost the right to complain about the atmosphere on your official forums.
  • jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

This one fails to serve as a long-term reference due to destructive ports and no apparent attempt to preserve old content, and a failure to provide search and indexing functions worth a flip. 
    Yep. Still no character icons.

But at least now, the icon in the MPQ banner updates whnever the app icon does. Worth it!
  • DesertTortoise
    DesertTortoise Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I spend entirely too much time on that Discord channel (the mods there are total tyrants with no redeeming qualities) and I can say there's not really any scooping going on. All of the news is presented as links to the News & Announcement threads the moment they happen. Any 'scoops' are from people finding the Piecing Together article before a post or finding 5 Thor in-game before a post on the forums goes up. You'll get some response to bug reports in real-time, on occasion, but that's not as thrilling as you imagine!

• Starfury
    Options
    Starfury said:
    Ducky said:
    There's a difference between raising concerns and being disrespectful and rude. Unfortunately the latter happens far too often and it's why they no longer post here. 

When you treat your customers (last I checked, that's what we are) like petulent children who are to be ignored, you've lost the right to complain about the atmosphere on your official forums.
    Most of the customers who post here act like petulant children all the time.
    In my experience, there's two types of companies. Successful ones and those who feel a need to hide from their customers.
  • matthatter
    matthatter Posts: 151 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I spend entirely too much time on that Discord channel (the mods there are total tyrants with no redeeming qualities) and I can say there's not really any scooping going on. All of the news is presented as links to the News & Announcement threads the moment they happen. Any 'scoops' are from people finding the Piecing Together article before a post or finding 5 Thor in-game before a post on the forums goes up. You'll get some response to bug reports in real-time, on occasion, but that's not as thrilling as you imagine!

This is why I stalk the Discord channel. This and the rather entertaining banter that goes on there. GIFs I've never seen nor will ever find on my own (seriously, though, is there some GIF repository I just don't know about?). I stalk, because if I don't I will never get any work done, and that isn't a very good thing to happen in a call center!
  • Avalancher
    Options
    Starfury said:
    Starfury said:
    Ducky said:

In my experience, there's two types of companies. Successful ones and those who feel a need to hide from their customers.
    And if you honestly thing that D3 is not successful, you are utterly delusional.  The hate is making you imagine things.
  • Starfury
    Options
    Starfury said:
    Starfury said:
    Ducky said:

And if you honestly thing that D3 is not successful, you are utterly delusional.  The hate is making you imagine things.
    We're talking about a match 3 game using the official license of the biggest movie franchise in the world.

Do you think this game is living up to its potential?
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Starfury said:
    Starfury said:
    Starfury said:
    Ducky said:

We're talking about a match 3 game using the official license of the biggest movie franchise in the world.

Do you think this game is living up to its potential?
    A match 3 mobile game celebrating 4 years?  Very successful.

You said successful, not living up to your or my perceived potential. That is waaaaay to subjective. 
  • Avalancher
    Options
    The haterade makes people CRAZY. Wow.