Brigby - Is there a plan for DST?

124»

Comments

• NewMcG
    NewMcG Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    I'm very excited to finally get a thorough explanation about why times got bumped an hour at the end of one leg (complete with downed characters), yet still ended up reverted to the original time for the end of the next. (Or a small chunk of iso/HP, and another "whoops, better luck next spring".) I can't imagine which it will be!
  • Justice Jacks
    Justice Jacks Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone. We are aware of some of the issues player had experienced this past weekend, due to daylight savings time ending this past Sunday. We are currently investigating the extent of these issues and why they occurred, and will be discussing how to address them.
    Which could have been said at this same time period in 2016, and 2015 . . .

Looks like DST snuck up on D3 yet again.  How could they have possibly seen this coming?
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    New McG said:
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone. We are aware of some of the issues player had experienced this past weekend, due to daylight savings time ending this past Sunday. We are currently investigating the extent of these issues and why they occurred, and will be discussing how to address them.
    Which could have been said at this same time period in 2016, and 2015 . . .

Looks like DST snuck up on D3 yet again.  How could they have possibly seen this coming?
    There are some things, like DST and the anniversary, which occur randomly and just can't be planned for in advance.
    Exactly. People can’t get mad when they run out of time to make changes for these wildly unpredictability yearly occurrences. 
  • Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
     Instead of patching another band aid over a bad system, drop slices, drop "optimal" play and let people play when they can or want to play. Take this opportunity to make your game more fun, I will even give up the 100 hp or 1000 iso consolation gift.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Brigby said:
    Do any of you guys remember Y2K and all the paranoia and trauma leading up to it? Then it was really nothing because 99.9% of the essential-system programmers and administrators (1) took the effort to plan for it and (2) had the minimum competency actually to handle it.

Imagine if that had been treated as shoddily and arrogantly and dismissively as this event is treated here. Imagine if it had all blown up and the reply had been "we didn't have time to address it." Or "we are looking into the extent of what happened and why, and will be discussing how to address them."

The answer as to how to address them is easy: ignore them. Because that seems to be what you always do. And if fits in well with not giving a _____ about your customers.
  • Sandmaker
    Sandmaker Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    Yepyep said:
    Brigby said:
    Do any of you guys remember Y2K and all the paranoia and trauma leading up to it? Then it was really nothing because 99.9% of the essential-system programmers and administrators (1) took the effort to plan for it and (2) had the minimum competency actually to handle it.

Imagine if that had been treated as shoddily and arrogantly and dismissively as this event is treated here. Imagine if it had all blown up and the reply had been "we didn't have time to address it." Or "we are looking into the extent of what happened and why, and will be discussing how to address them."

The answer as to how to address them is easy: ignore them. Because that seems to be what you always do. And if fits in well with not giving a _____ about your customers.
    Yep, fixing a bug to prevent the collapse of our financial institution is clearly equivalent to making sure us match-3 players don't accidentally get/lose a hour to beat up some goons twice a year.

Great analogy.    
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby said:

If you could tell us which of the issues you are aware of, we can tell you about the other ones.
  • Yepyep
    edited November 2017
    Sandmaker said:
    Yepyep said:
    Brigby said:

Yep, fixing a bug to prevent the collapse of our financial institution is clearly equivalent to making sure us match-3 players don't accidentally get/lose a hour to beat up some goons twice a year.

Great analogy.    
    Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

Your sarcastic straw man attack is callow and superficial, however: I didn't equate the overall importance to the world of the events in my metaphor; to do so would have been as foolish as your comment. But if I had, I would have addressed the potential impact of Y2K on far more than "our financial institution" [sic]. And, adjusting for scale, this DST impact on the population whom it could impact was profound, and predictably profound, just as the potential impact of Y2K on the population as a whole was predictably profound.

Rather, I addressed two structural similarities of the two events: (1) the perfect foreseeability of its arrival with a consequent ability to plan for it and (2) matching, or not, appropriate competencies to the problem at hand.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    New McG said:
    I'm very excited to finally get a thorough explanation about why times got bumped an hour at the end of one leg (complete with downed characters), yet still ended up reverted to the original time for the end of the next. (Or a small chunk of iso/HP, and another "whoops, better luck next spring".) I can't imagine which it will be!
    That's interesting. I didn't experience any of those things. My sub started at 9 PM local on Saturday, and ended at 8 PM Sunday (local), 24 hours later. They're now running 8 PM to 8 PM
  • NewMcG
    NewMcG Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    New McG said:
    That's interesting. I didn't experience any of those things. My sub started at 9 PM local on Saturday, and ended at 8 PM Sunday (local), 24 hours later. They're now running 8 PM to 8 PM
    Shot in the dark, but I'll guess you don't play slice 5?
  • Justice Jacks
    Justice Jacks Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    For the second time in this thread, this ONLY really impacted s5 PVE players, as it does every fall when DST occurs.  They re-time the app at exactly the same time S5 PVE ends.  In other words, when you finish Sub X, all is well and the app believes it's 2:00am EDT.  But a second later, it's 1:00am EST, so Sub X+1 starts but immediately reverts back to Sub X for another hour.  This means that scores at the end of Sub X's natural close can be increased during that hour.  In my Sub, for example, the current leader woefully mistimed his clears in Sub X, but because of the extra hour went from a few hundred down at the true close of Sub X to leading by 100 or so at the modified close.  And this very thing has happened every year for the past 3 years at least.  But you can't plan for it to happen because you aren't sure if they've actually taken the entire year available to them to correct the issue.

This year was an added kick in the nether region as the reversion also caused all characters with even a pt of damage to go down.  And I could not revive Gamora with health packs for that entire hour either as they wouldn't take, so the 4e node was unavailable for that hour as well. 
  • Yepyep
    ...And I could not revive Gamora with health packs for that entire hour either as they wouldn't take, so the 4e node was unavailable for that hour as well. 
    Yes, exactly. Me, too. Monstrously aggravating...
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Hi Everyone. The development team is aware of these issues, and we are discussing compensation for those that were affected by daylight savings time ending. We apologize for the inconvenience, but we thank you for your patience.
  • champg0951
    champg0951 Posts: 32 Just Dropped In
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone. The development team is aware of these issues, and we are discussing compensation for those that were affected by daylight savings time ending. We apologize for the inconvenience, but we thank you for your patience.
    Here was my experience....all characters I was using went down at 0200 (0100). I had to buy 10 health packs (400 HP) to revice them. Then an additional 5 health packs (200 HP) to have in reserve. Then, I lost placement. I was on pace for a T10 placement now I'm lucky if I place in T20 in SCL9. I'm not asking for much...just give me back the HP I used to buy health packs.
  • Akari
    Akari Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    I play in S5 PvE and was affected by this. At the end of the sub based on normal time, I was 2nd. Then due to the bug, the sub was extended an hour, and then all the people that did not finish in time caught up and I finished 5th. I also spent about 8 health packs reviving people to use to grind out at least some extra points during the hour. Additionally, the nodes that I did clear right at the sub flip were erased, and it messed with the regeneration timing for them during the next sub.

I don't even know what I would want as compensation, honestly. I just wish you guys would fix this. It's not like DST and the reverse happen at the exact same time, twice a year, every year or anything...
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    And now Deadpool's Daily Quest seems to have gone missing.  I wonder if it'll be back in an hour?
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    jamesh said:
    And now Deadpool's Daily Quest seems to have gone missing.  I wonder if it'll be back in an hour?
    It will. Everything shifts back to the usual start time from today. 
  • Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    How long does it take to hand everyone some HP? Can't fix what already happened. Got months to work on the issue for next  time. 
  • alaeth
    alaeth Posts: 446 Mover and Shaker
    Also got 100hp, thanks!

Asked an ally-mate who was directly impacted (half his roster dead, had to pay 600hp to revive them to continue clearing, lost placement) if his compensation was more.

Nope, he got 100hp as well.