Should 5* Gambit be nerfed?

Options
124»

Comments

• sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,268 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yes he is way OP
    Don't ask me how I know this or anything, but wasnt he originally supposed to generate his red & purple on match-4's? That would have actually made sense and require someone with a functionning brain using him.

This is absurd he was released with the free AP generation.
  • CharlieCroker
    CharlieCroker Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Yes he is way OP
    @JusticeJacks

I took on board Colog's advice and he is to some extent correct, Gambolt can be beaten by Strange/Panther however nearly every time I've done so it's cost me healthpacks for both 5*s and has never been in any way a comfortable victory.  I also concede that without Bolt he is nowhere near as dangerous, although things can still easily go sideways in a hurry.

There is however no comparison in power levels to Panos.  On offense Panos is particularly effective at clearing grills, but no better than a number of other combinations (such as Surfer/Bolt, Spidey/Daredevil or boosted 4*s) when hitting other A teams.

On defense Panos is not a huge threat and can be beaten by any number of teams.  Compare that to Gambolt which is very tough to best and assuming we're talking about equal levels (i.e. 450s vs 450s) by one specific combination.

However my biggest issue with him is that via his ap generation and what's generally seen as his weaker Purple power, he can counter a lot of other 5*s.  Unless I really really want to hit someone i think in the future I'll just be skipping 450 Gambolts and look for much easier Panos teams to hit whether those teams are in the 450s or 480s+.

• Justice Jacks
    Justice Jacks Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    Options
    No, he's good but not OP
    Orion said:
    In PvE, I can take my level 420 Gambit and single-handedly beat any 5* essential level 515 goon node.  And even dumber, I don't have to make a single match in any of his colors.  That's how dumb he is.  Most teams can be screwed by a bad initial board, but not Gambit.

In PvP, the only reliable way to beat him is with your own Gambit.  That's the definition of OP. 
    And I could us my 451 HE and Coulson and do the same to the 515 goon node, so I'm not sure your point stands in that regard.  And, as I said, Gambit standing alone is no issue, as you just need to match away his charged tiles every 2 turns and he's a paper tiger.  Strange is enough to take him out at times.  But, like Thanos' green, if his charged goes to the corners or another unreachable spot, it becomes a problem quickly.  But I've taken out champed Gambit (without Bolt as a partner) with Strange/Thanos multiple times at this point.  Panthos works as well.  Never used Colog's pairing of BP/Strange but should work just as well or better.   
  • IceyOne
    IceyOne Posts: 29 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Curiosity said:
    JFC, just fought him at 0/0/5 with Spider Gwen.

So within 6 turns I was one character down and in permanent stun lock. Her pink stun works stupidly well with him. Not sure I can counter that in 4* Land.

so I vote nerf on the battery.
    Same thing happened to me. It took 2 turns and I was stun locked for pretty much the rest of the fight.
  • dadows
    dadows Posts: 59 Match Maker
    edited November 2017
    Options
    yep. ran into gambat, spider-gwen, the thing. can't kill gambat without the thing intervening. you can't beat gwen's stun out. you lose. 
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,720 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    No, he's good but not OP
    The game moves on, this has happened to so many 4 stars why shouldn't it happen to fives. Sooner or later it will happen to gambit too, the trouble is so many people have got comfortable with their thanos panther team a new meta upsets them. 

Power creep is just part of the game. Its a long game, sooner or later they will bring someone out to address the concerns of vultures being airborne and a gambit counter will come out.

In a few weeks the complaint will be about someone else. Yes his 5 black is utterly broken, that I agree with.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Tony Foot said:
    The game moves on, this has happened to so many 4 stars why shouldn't it happen to fives. Sooner or later it will happen to gambit too, the trouble is so many people have got comfortable with their thanos panther team a new meta upsets them. 

Power creep is just part of the game. Its a long game, sooner or later they will bring someone out to address the concerns of vultures being airborne and a gambit counter will come out.

In a few weeks the complaint will be about someone else. Yes his 5 black is utterly broken, that I agree with.

This is coming from someone who just popped his hoard, so not surprising you wouldn't want the guy you chased nerfed, but facts are facts: he is not just OP, he is completely broken. No toon in the players' hands has ever generated AP on his own like a mindless goon. Had I blown my wad to chase him I wouldn't want him nerfed either but that doesn't mean he isn't a broken character.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 692 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yes he is way OP
    I encourage reworking the character just based of the design idea that there should never be a significant advantage in avoiding certain covers.

He is also the best character in the game by a good margin and should be nerfed for that reason too.

How about this idea: With the passive cover, Gambit is the only one who can use red or purple powers, UNLESS he is stunned or airborne or downed. That way, there is still some point in a 0/0/1 build as you can gain AP then have him removed from the fight to use it. It gets rid of the ability to gain AP every turn and also have other characters able to use it every turn. Maybe combine his passive color with an active that makes him airborne for a few turns.
  • Jonny1Punch
    Jonny1Punch Posts: 434 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yes he is way OP
    I am on day 1480, longtime daily player and veteran..... I have never seen a character more OP/Broken. Major nerf needed immediately he’s hurting the entire game. Alternative to nerf you could just make him the first 6* character and leave him as is
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    Options
    No, he's good but not OP
    hes Really not that op just annoying and he’s going to hurt you.

but he’s going to be nerfed so that none other powers of that color can be use unless gambit is downed/stunned/airborne