Should 5* Gambit be nerfed?

CharlieCroker
CharlieCroker Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
edited October 2017 in MPQ Character Discussion
Perhaps an unpopular opinion but I think that whilst he'll be good by himself, he'll be broken with a variety of partners.

Please vote/discuss and suggest counters to the more obvious combos.

Should 5* Gambit be nerfed? 144 votes

Yes he is way OP
47%
DayvmorghOzarkBoatswainStarfuryKolenceYasuruWilsonFisksinnerjflgrunzadinContinuedClockkillercoolJonny1PunchGreg81XidexSeriouslynotamutantSnowcaTTAndy9009Jexmankillerkoala 69 votes
No, he's good but not OP
45%
FoxInSoxSpoitCoppsfreakygeekColognoisseurRemoDestroyerBowgentleburrichthedarkphoenixGrumpySmurf1002DeNappaDartmaster01ZeroKarmaMagicTiggidad1amonddawgRiguezBlackICValekBossDaiches 65 votes
Hell no, I have him!!
6%
grunth13alaethHendrossPongieThe rockettBlack DukeDjinnBabbaMETT-T dependentrocks52Beer40 10 votes

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    I can't tell just yet.  He certainly seems very powerful because he has both decent offense via his red, plus strong defense via his ability to remove all enemy specials regularly.  And of course he is hard to deny.

But I think we may want to wait to see him in regular action (once he doesn't have the new character boost and people have a better sense of how to fight him) before deciding if he is too good relative to the rest of the 5* tier. 

But if it turns out that he can basically always proc red once or twice no matter what, then you are looking at guaranteed 14-28k damage (+match damage) each match and a hard counter to any strategy reliant on special tiles even at 450.  If that's the case, then the game might beneift if he were nerfed slightly (a la 3* if at release).

I also don't think a 0/0/5 gambit is any concern for the game.  he will be too squishy to use in PVP, and not particularly faster than other power combos for PVE grinding.
  • AtlasAxe
    AtlasAxe Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
    No, but 3* Gambit should be. He shouldn't collect AP for black if he doesn't have the corresponding purple or red covers.
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2017
    Dont have him as many others (and those who have him dont have much covers) so useless poll ... 5* Gambit is fine for me so far, cuz 0/0/5 makes no sense for him since he is 5*.
    This cant be said about 3* version, that i am trying to farm up to 0/0/5 and use with some 4* or even 5* heroes who have red and purple (Gwen already looks like a funny competitor with Gambit powering her stun and damage :D ).
  • AtlasAxe
    AtlasAxe Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
    Yeah, I've run into 3* 0/0/5 with champed Phoenix. If He gets 2 turns, you're in trouble. 
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2017
    Yes he is way OP
    Fought an unboosted 451 gambit with 280ish 4* Grocket and Gams - my team was triple 475+ 5*.  Had no bad cascades and my team finished with 1 toon downed, a second under 10k health and last toon with about 40% health.  

Dunno how to quantify that as anything other than OP.
  • Uncletas
    Uncletas Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    I’m conflicted all that AP generation and being able to fire a power every turn basically AND being able to override special icons is really powerful and probably is not great for balancing the game. That being said, I don’t think he will be nerfed because the whales will spend to cover him.  Also he does exactly what the developers want to see, every fight there is a good chance you have to use health packs and they want people using them as fast as possible.   Reason why some of some characters like thanos have not been nerfed but oml was
  • Jsh2014
    Jsh2014 Posts: 87 Match Maker
    Yes he is way OP
    I think he's a little over powered even while he's boosted they should adjust him now 
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    Its far too early to say. 

Most events have had him mega-boosted and so we haven't had a real change to establish his strength in regular pvp. 

I do feel that Gambit requires a minor nerf which admittedly only impacts the 3* version.   In my opinion having a 0/0/5 black Gambit (also known as a Gambattery) generating 3 purple and 3 red AP for the rest of your team to use is overpowered.  There's been plenty of good uses for Gambattery in both pve and pvp so far but thankfully none of those should impact high end competitive play.

Still, I think its pretty obvious that gaining 6 free AP every turn without a drawback is blatantly overpowered relative to other AP generators we've seen and should be nerfed on principal.   My proposed nerf being to change the wording on Gambit black to read something like "Gambits allies cannot fire active red or purple skills so long as Gambit remains conscious".

Whether or not the 5* gambit demands a nerf remains to be seen.  It seems absolutely certain that Gambit will be the future of PvP and that's not an inherently bad thing.  We've had Thanos at the top for a long time now so a meta change is welcome.

Revisit this topic in a season or two and we'll have a clearer picture as to whether or not Gambit is truly overpowered or merely top tier.

• Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    I'm just really curious as to whether 0/0/5 Gambit was an intended viable build by the devs when they tied his passive's limitation to the colours of active powers that be actually has rather than just fixing the colours, or if it's an oversight. 
  • corytutor
    corytutor Posts: 414 Mover and Shaker
    Yes he is way OP
    At one point everyone is op. Surfer was unstoppable upon release. 

Oml and phx ruled the meta for sometime after. Or oml bolt if you were lucky enough to have a bolt back then. 

Throw in a broken banner, a rarely seen goblin, widow cap and ironman and you had a few support options. 

Then panthos. They had their moment of op glory and have taken the points and tears of many a tile flipper. 

Now is the era of gambit. 
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards

I'll reserve my judgement until the new character boost expires.

Sure, he's a pain right now, but the level boost contributes quite a bit to that. He may be more manageable unboosted.

• D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    No, he's good but not OP
    Jarvind said:
    Jesus, can we maybe wait until he's actually in tokens, at least?
    There's an agenda. Time cost money. Haven't you heard... shees, tokens he says. Where do you think you are ? MPQ ? 

(/s)

Seriously now, he does seem very strong, but I agree that we should at least wait to see him in regular play & unboosted :)
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 556 Critical Contributor
    No, he's good but not OP
    No he doesn't need to be nerfed, if you nerf him go ahead and nerf medusa, rocket and groot, captain marvel, thanos and black bolt.

The thing with gambit is he just so happens to play optimally when played by the A.I unlike most other teams.

So you put him on a team with anyone that can get charged tiles out and he pretty much plays better than most other teams when played by the AI.

• Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    OJSP said:
    I imagine BP Strange could counter Gambit BB. If only my BP is not 1/0/4.. lol
    Whoa whoa whoa, what is this "coming up with practical solutions" nonsense? We only demand nerfs here, good sir.