Should 5* Gambit be nerfed?

Options

Comments

• Qubort
    Qubort Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Options
    No, he's good but not OP
    Fought an unboosted 451 gambit with 280ish 4* Grocket and Gams - my team was triple 475+ 5*.  Had no bad cascades and my team finished with 1 toon downed, a second under 10k health and last toon with about 40% health.  

Dunno how to quantify that as anything other than OP.
    So you played a top team and lost one toon? That's considered OP nowadays. Just because you used 3 five stars doesn't mean they worked well together.
  • Qubort
    Qubort Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Options
    No, he's good but not OP
    corytutor said:
    At one point everyone is op. Surfer was unstoppable upon release. 

Oml and phx ruled the meta for sometime after. Or oml bolt if you were lucky enough to have a bolt back then. 

Throw in a broken banner, a rarely seen goblin, widow cap and ironman and you had a few support options. 

Then panthos. They had their moment of op glory and have taken the points and tears of many a tile flipper. 

Now is the era of gambit. 

Why should he be nerfed then? Your examples shows power creep meaning he'll get passed up organically.
  • corytutor
    corytutor Posts: 414 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yes he is way OP
    Exactly. I agree. My vote was sarcastic
  • ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    Options
    No, he's good but not OP
    I think boosting others or creating answers in future characters makes the most sense, rather than nerfing. In my opinion the most poetic thing to do would be to rework Star-Lord and Doc Ock 5* to make them direct counters to Gambit and Thor considering how many people skipped them to save up cp and LT's for the stronger characters.

:D
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    No, he's good but not OP
    Can we keep in mind he's boosted 90 levels right now?   

His 450 version is fun but hardly overwhelming, or overpowered.
  • Hadronic
    Hadronic Posts: 338 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Lets just put a character in the game like strange that passively deals damage. The condition being, whenever an opponent acquires AP (regular matches don't count) deal X damage for each point of AP gained.

someone to hard counter gambit and vulture and im40 and coulson/hawkeye all at once
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hadronic said:
    Lets just put a character in the game like strange that passively deals damage. The condition being, whenever an opponent acquires AP (regular matches don't count) deal X damage for each point of AP gained.

someone to hard counter gambit and vulture and im40 and coulson/hawkeye all at once
    You'd want to play against that character, would ya?
  • Hadronic
    Hadronic Posts: 338 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    jackstar0 said:
    Hadronic said:

You'd want to play against that character, would ya?
    sure I would play against that character using teams that don't need to accelerate, like rocket/gamora
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hell no, I have him!!
    Pulled ~2/3 of my latest tokens to have him covered so I’m enjoying the new toy. Especially when he is boosted. 
  • Deeznutz1234
    Deeznutz1234 Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Yes he is way OP
    This is just so lazy. There are answers already available within the game. Why don't you look at the rest of your roster re-read the abilities of some characters you think are "bad". If you do that instead of posting another nerf this character post you might have fun.
    There are solutions already in-game for everything you are complaining about. I took out Lvl500+ 5gambit with no problems and no more health pack usage than playing any other team. Same for grocket carol medusa 5lord the solution already exists just go look at your roster. As of right now there is no team that exists which doesn't have the perfect counter to it.
    Wow, you took out a level 500+ 5gambit with your 500 level 5* teams.  Buy clubs have def made you so not lazy. Color me impressed. I’m glad that you found an answer to gambit’s OP powers in your roster, but I hardly think that should be the deciding factor whether or not any one toon should be balanced or not. My issue with Gambit, as others have pointed out, is the fact that his powers aren’t just OP but they just don’t require any strategy or playing of the game to use. Self generating 6 AP every turn is lazy character design and lazy game play as far as I’m concerned.  Having those powers do crazy amounts of damage, board shake and special tile overwrites every other turn or so is just stupid and lame.  I want to see Gambit balanced bc I like actually playing the game and having to match tiles or meet certain board or game conditions in order to have powers be used. But I guess I’m just lazy unlike you whales. 
  • CharlieCroker
    CharlieCroker Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yes he is way OP
    This is just so lazy. There are answers already available within the game. Why don't you look at the rest of your roster re-read the abilities of some characters you think are "bad". If you do that instead of posting another nerf this character post you might have fun.
    There are solutions already in-game for everything you are complaining about. I took out Lvl500+ 5gambit with no problems and no more health pack usage than playing any other team. Same for grocket carol medusa 5lord the solution already exists just go look at your roster. As of right now there is no team that exists which doesn't have the perfect counter to it.
    My original post asked the question whether 5* Gambit was OP and whilst my mind is currently made up it can be changed.  It also asked for discussion of counters.

So, I have enjoyed reading your previous write ups on the latest 4*s.  Something as insightful as that suggesting counters to Gambit would be welcome and go a long way to changing my thinking.

Having reviewed my 5* bench, the only obvious thing I can see is Strange/Black Panther as someone has already suggested.  And whilst running this team may let me beat for example a Bolt/Gambit team, it will also leave a "hit me please" sign out on D (although I'm willing to concede such variety may not be a bad thing for the game as a whole).

For the record, I currently have the following 5*s in order or champing:

OML
    Surfer
    Phoenix
    Hawkeye
    Thanos
    Black Panther
    Black Bolt
    Strange
    Daredevil
    Spidey
  • corytutor
    corytutor Posts: 414 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yes he is way OP
    Okay challenge accepted. 

Yessir!

Instances like this is why you are one of my favorite players.  You see the value im every toon and can intelligently present it. 

There's always an answer. 

• Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    remove all of Thanos' active powers; 
    Not to nitpick, but I'm gonna nitpick - wouldn't Thanos's purple prevent Gambit from doing anything since he locks out anything that changes the board?
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Jarvind said:
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    remove all of Thanos' active powers; 
    Not to nitpick, but I'm gonna nitpick - wouldn't Thanos's purple prevent Gambit from doing anything since he locks out anything that changes the board?

Yes, this is a good point. You can prevent Gambit from doing anything for 3-4 turns while Thanos' purple is out. However, you better kill him or he's gonna blast you after it resolves. 

• 8punch
    8punch Posts: 97 Match Maker
    Options
    i just created a topic on charther discussion. but let me reply that also here.

kudos for the guy who came up with this combo, it was not me. but i fought this team and i got totally destroyed.

why?

lets start with OLM. 

OLM add knives on the board after someone uses his special power. this knives dont do much damage but....

when gambit uses his purple power it adds countdown titles.

now comes the bonus. Carol has pasive yellow power. whenever someone countdown titles goes to 0 she will add strenght to the knives. 

so you can imagine what happens. knives strenghten in power. the power of gambit becomes stronger. your match damage becomes stronger. suddenly you get match damage of +10K, countdown power special of gambit suddenly does 8000K per countdown block. not to mention gambit getting new red ap and purple ap every turn.

total domination were no team comes even close. its perfection!

so if you want to build the strongest team for the moment, i believe this is it!
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,292 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Why are people worried about 3* Gambit at 0/0/5?  He is mainly an asset for PvE.  While he can fuel an offensive PvP team, you will be murdered on defense with him in PvP.  Perhaps not as big of a drawback in the new win based PvP world though.

As for the 5* version, before calling for nerfs (which is a concern with everyone wanting every character they don't have nerfed now it seems), give it some time to see how it plays out across the meta.  No doubt that 5* Gambit is really good but let's wait to see how he impacts the bigger picture before calling for his nerf.

That being said, I really don't care for his overall design as he has basically been created like a super goon.  He should be all offense or all support, not able to do both fairly well and create his own AP at no effort.  I think the devs probably underestimated the impact of guaranteed AP every turn in combination with good damage and the ability to remove enemy tiles (a really good defensive ability) but that is just my initial observation and I may be wrong.