What's the most useful thing you've learned from the forum?

Comments

• D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2017
    Ruinate said:
    The existence of match damage reduction during cascades.

What ? Can you share your experience on this topic to others as well ? 

I learned, just seconds ago, that there are still things I don't know about the game mechanic, after 3-4 years of play. 

• Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Here's a real, sensible one.  Polarity's guide.  Invaluable for the beginning player.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017

ammenell said:
    I realized I have never seen such disconnect between devs and player community.
    any game, any forum, this tops the list by far
    I played SWTOR for years, that was actually far worse than here (and continuing to devolve more and more)
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    In no particular order:

1) The benefit of 3Thanos in Lightning rounds. I never understood how people were winning 12+ matches in three minutes, and then I saw the "use 3Thanos/required/random 5 star for match damage" tip to plow through seed teams in seconds, then finish off the last seed team with an irritating defense (Peggy+Medusa is the best I've found so far) when you've burned through the seed teams to hopefully finish top 100/500.

2) Gwenpool code list! She's a MVP for bosses, and offers the best board control in the game, provided you're willing to reference the codes. I printed out a credit-card sized piece of paper with the codes on it, and it's been handy on numerous occasions. 

3) Tap-a-Goon to see who owns which countdown.
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Today, I learned how to tell what the strongest color on your team and C4rol's team will be before you go into the match.

Apparently the strongest color is not calculated by whatever power does the most damage, but whatever color does the most match damage when matched. So when you get to the teamups/boosts screen pre-fight, you can click on the opposing team characters on the bottom, and see which color across the 3 of them has the highest value.

Ah yes, I was about to post this as well. So many characters have 'strongest color' abilities now.
    Some time ago I was very surprised to learn that the enemy team is 'clickable' at the bottom of the pre-fight screen.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    D4Ni13 said:
    Ruinate said:

I learned, just seconds ago, that there are still things I don't know about the game mechanic, after 3-4 years of play. 

Basically, as a cascade escalates or continues, each match does less and less damage. I think technically there's a certain percentage reduction for match damage for each match that continues in a cascade. 

It can be hard to notice, especially if critical tiles are involved, but you can see the numbers diminish on particularly long cascades. 

It may sound unfair, like the devs are gimping your damage output, but the sword cuts both ways. You're actually protected some by this mechanic when the AI lucks into a cascade, as the damage done to you is reduced. 

This is also another reason why Strike tiles are so valuable. In theory, a long enough cascade would get your match damage to one, but if you have Strikes on the board, you will always do at least that damage at a minimum. 

As always, I could be wrong about this, but that's how I understood it when I read it once upon a time. Anyone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. 
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    D4Ni13 said:
    Ruinate said:

There were several threads long, long ago in which this was explored and discussed.

The Forum search box did not help me find them.

Resorting to Google, the first result for "cascades match damage reduction" was:

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/24994/cascade-damage

Short thread, more are out there.

Basically full damage cascades would just get out of hand, so each match after the first is discounted. With really long cascades, the match damage can be reduced to almost nothing.

This increases the chance the opposing team (the one on the wrong side of the board luck!) will have a chance to respond .... before the team benefiting from the cascade unloads all that sweet AP on them.
    But strike tile damage is NOT reduced on subsequent cascade matches.  Yet another reason that double or triple dipping (and beyond) on strikes is one of the best tactics in the game.

For me i would point to nothernpolarity's (now hopelessly out of date) guide.  Reading that completely changed my early game experience.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, I'm 900+ in and didn't know about the Tap-A-Goon CD tile trick. I would feel more dumberers than usual if not for the others who have admitted to the same thing.

I've learned a lot from the forums, but one of the things that really helps is visiting when there's a nerf/buff to a character that I don't understand. There are some characters who have changed multiple times, and the forums can help decipher the new way to play with the character based on the changes.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    I remember when tap-a-goon was added.  It was pretty annoying trying to priortize goons when you had no idea which CDs they owned!
  • Lucifier
    Lucifier Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    Today, I learned how to tell what the strongest color on your team and C4rol's team will be before you go into the match.

Apparently the strongest color is not calculated by whatever power does the most damage, but whatever color does the most match damage when matched. So when you get to the teamups/boosts screen pre-fight, you can click on the opposing team characters on the bottom, and see which color across the 3 of them has the highest value.
    I have a question if anyone can help, what if there is a tie in the color, lets say both blue and green are highest in damage and both do for example 120, which one will be considered as strongest color?

for me I learned many things from forum, what come to my mind now are:

1- Gwenpool ability.
    2- how to tell CD to which char it belongs.
    3- latest legend 5* are swap-able (even I am far from this now).
    4- read many guides in the forum specially about PVP.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    I haven't seen anyone mention this one:

That when looking at the three power description pages for a character, you can tap the row of five circles to see the power's effects at each rank.
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 493 Mover and Shaker
    Lucifier said:

I have a question if anyone can help, what if there is a tie in the color, lets say both blue and green are highest in damage and both do for example 120, which one will be considered as strongest color?
    I think it's like deciding ties in other situations = whichever character is in the middle when setting your combat trio.
    The order goes middle, Left, Right if I recall.

This is how they determine which character is in front after a match if both have the same value. 
    This mattered for things like Charlie's Angles teams from back in the day, when you wanted Purple to be the Strongest Color to keep the engine going.  Had to make sure Prof X's Blue didn't get higher than Black Widow's Purple, and so there was min/maxing of levels involved, as well as making sure she was in front for any tie breakers.
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2017
    Thanks @aesthetocyst & @DarthDeVo! Didn't know about that and since I usually play with strike tiles, I never noticed. 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    ZeiramMR said:

That when looking at the three power description pages for a character, you can tap the row of five circles to see the power's effects at each rank.
    Wow, l forgot all about that until I read this...  Thx!

• evariste_taco
    evariste_taco Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
    ZeiramMR said:

Whaaaat? Life changed.
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    ZeiramMR said:

I did not know this. I've always consulted the wiki to figure out what *I* think is the best build, but there are times when I've adjusted the build to downgrade an ability because someone else is using that particular color better and beefing up the others. At those times, I'm adjusting on the fly and the only way I've known is to make the changes and then see what they've done.
  • Hyposphere6234
    Hyposphere6234 Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    That I complain too much.
  • fanghoul
    fanghoul Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    That health packs regenerate if you have fewer than ten.

They just toss so many at you in the intro, and there's not an obvious way to get more, so I started hoarding them for a rainy day.

Except that turns out to be a terrible idea for progressing :D