What's the most useful thing you've learned from the forum?

animaniactoo
animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
edited October 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Having just posted a really long opening post, I figured I'd do this really short one I've been thinking about too.

For me, it's been two things:
• How to tell which countdown tile belongs to which goon (when you move them to the front, their tiles flash for a moment, so just cycle through until you see the tile you're looking at light up and then you can nuke THAT one, not the the other one with 4 turns left to go on their tile).
• The benefits of 2-Star farming.

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    I learned champions were a thing because they game gives you little hint until you hit max for your first 2*...

I learned about roster how based scaling worked (or how we thought it works since they'd never spell it out in detail) and why 5*s early is really bad (also never addressed in game)
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think one of the most useful aspects of the forum is to see a ranking of characters so you know where to prioritize your time and ISO.  When I first got into the 3* realm, 2 of my highest covered characters were She-Hulk and Psylocke.  I thought they were awesome and couldn't figure out why they were always ranked so low.  So I ended up wasting a lot of resources on 2 losers that could have gone towards much better 3*s.
  • talleman
    talleman Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    I have played this game casualy for years and there is so much useful information in this forum that i never knew about until i joined in may this year. I don't have one specific "oh" experiense cause i lern new stuff every day i come to the forum. Just want to thank you all for sharing your knowledge and make this game more fun to play :)
  • Roland113
    Roland113 Posts: 298 Mover and Shaker
    There are a lot of things I learned from the forums, the two that come to mind were mentioned above, 2* farming and character rankings.

The thing that sticks out as something shocking that I learned from the forums is that having Torch drop multiple tiles car really speed up the game.  It was something that I probably should have realized far sooner than I learned it from the forums.

• Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    The existence of match damage reduction during cascades.

Who matches/tanks in a multi match.

I believe it was Iceix who said so on the forums.
  • X_T
    X_T Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    It used to be character rankings team combinations until you just explained how you can tell who's countdown tile it is! Was I asleep for the last 1330 days of playing??!! That, OP is why you're the real MVP now in my book.  Thanks!
  • badsaj
    badsaj Posts: 73 Match Maker
    For me it was optimal PVE play and max progression. I used to just play levels off and on throughout the day, and wondered why sometimes I didn't get all the progression rewards, and why I rarely cracked the top 100. This is also the worst thing I learned, because now I feel like I can only play the game for the 3 or 4 hour stretch straddling the beginning/end of the slice. I know I don't have to play this way, but I'm enticed by those extra placement rewards.
  • animaniactoo
    broll said:
    I learned champions were a thing because they game gives you little hint until you hit max for your first 2*...

I learned about roster how based scaling worked (or how we thought it works since they'd never spell it out in detail) and why 5*s early is really bad (also never addressed in game)
    Looking for that info was what actually brought me to the forum in an attempt to learn more about it based on something I read somewhere. And it was useful, but I'd already been playing for about a year and a half by the time I found it, so I muddled through and was doing okay, but finding out about that CD tile thing - has HUGELY improved my ability to win matches without getting killed quite so often.
  • animaniactoo

X_T said:
    It used to be character rankings team combinations until you just explained how you can tell who's countdown tile it is! Was I asleep for the last 1330 days of playing??!! That, OP is why you're the real MVP now in my book.  Thanks!
    Ya know? I saw it in a post somewhere on my day 630 or something and was like "How have I never realized this!" LOL
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    There is no purple tiles, only pink
  • SkadenFrudee
    SkadenFrudee Posts: 112 Tile Toppler
    The difference between a tall roster (think few, but strong), and a wide one (many, of various strengths). I used to frequently toss 3*/4* covers if I didn't like the characters, of if they ranked low in their tier. I didn't have a single 2* champ at the time I started this behavior; tossed quite a few covers before the forum taught me better. 
  • Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    I found out that you could check you placement within your alliance on story events from someone posting on the tips forum. The process requires like 5 button pushes.
  • Slothkins
    Slothkins Posts: 58 Match Maker
    Having just posted a really long opening post, I figured I'd do this really short one I've been thinking about too.

For me, it's been two things:
    • How to tell which countdown tile belongs to which goon (when you move them to the front, their tiles flash for a moment, so just cycle through until you see the tile you're looking at light up and then you can nuke THAT one, not the the other one with 4 turns left to go on their tile).
    • The benefits of 2-Star farming.
    These were the two I thought of right off the bat as well. 

Also, I relied heavily on the 3-star rankings when I was deciding who to put the precious iso into when I was overwhelmed with 13 cover heroes. 
  • JaGo
    JaGo Posts: 93 Match Maker
    It's not an "ah hah!" moment, but when I notice something odd in the game, ie. when Medusa's purple didn't actually steal swapped specials, it has been incredibly helpful to come to the foums to find that it's just a bug. I can then make better decisions around power usage and chill out about it knowing it will likely be patched. That and team synergies for certain events. "#%^*$ , why won't Kaecilius die!? OH, gotta swap and match those strike tiles!" Thanks forumites!

-JaGo
  • ABaker84
    ABaker84 Posts: 90 Match Maker
    Champ rewards, as in what 2* lead to what 3* and intimately 4*. Then I actually thought to myself, "why don't I just rotate my 2*s and keep collecting the champ rewards over and over? Iso benefit plus all other rewards (hp, cp, covers tokens) I gotta tell people on the forum about this great idea of mine!" (Goes to post on forum, searching for proper place to post) "oh what's this farming thing? Oh, people have been doing this the whole time" lol
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    I think it was just a few weeks ago I saw someone post something about row/column clears counting all the AP for the row or column you clear. 

I had noticed that sometimes when that happened, I got extra AP in random colors, but I thought it was just random. I never put two and two together. 

Also, how to play optimally. That's helped greatly with placement and getting plenty of additional covers. 
  • Bubba3210
    Bubba3210 Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    Gwen Poole’s crazy command list that was compiled and posted here is much better than randomly pressing symbols.

I learned about the cd tiles a while back from one of these forum posts. Huge saver!
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Most good to great team combos and when not to download a patch cause of bugs.

Also, people love to complain about complaining.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,895 Chairperson of the Boards
    I learned about A/B testing.