*** Gambit (Modern) ***

Options

Comments

• Dotproduct
    Dotproduct Posts: 217 Tile Toppler
    Options
    mexus said:
    Anyone played Modern Gambit a bit now?
    Like the first mission in the new Story event where you get to borrow a full-covered Gambit.
    He's good, I would use him with Coulson. All those countdown tiles would make Coulson go AP moist! And spamming red would make Coulson throw his own countdown tiles out.

For those of us not in 5* land, his purple is pretty decent. His red is a bit weak for the loss of someone else's active red, but with 4Blade's passive red it works a treat.
  • ABaker84
    ABaker84 Posts: 90 Match Maker
    Options
    I get it now. He's a battery. At first his red sounded a bit underwhelming. But now that I can use him, I see is red targets the charged tiles, earning AP. And you can basically fire it every other turn. Gets you AP like Medusa against Carnage. I'm starting to like him 
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    Options
    After seeing Gambit in action, I can say, that he not underwhelming like I first thought. Granted the charged tiles part in the 3* land si less useful than in 5* land, but his potential is huge. Nice addition overall it seems. 
  • D4Ni13
    Options
    mexus said:
    D4Ni13 said:
    After seeing Gambit in action, I can say, that he not underwhelming like I first thought. Granted the charged tiles part in the 3* land si less useful than in 5* land, but his potential is huge. Nice addition overall it seems. 
    I'm steady in 4* land but trying to use my Gambit anyway. He's fun. I like to spam.
    I'm in 4* land too, but after what I saw in the loaner node, he is worth using. 
  • D4Ni13
    edited October 2017
    Options
    mexus said:
    D4Ni13 said:
    mexus said:
    D4Ni13 said:
    I'm steady in 4* land but trying to use my Gambit anyway. He's fun. I like to spam.
    I'm in 4* land too, but after what I saw in the loaner node, he is worth using. 
    Trying very hard to come up with a good team for him and hoping to increase his champion levels fast by bonus heroing him. Let me know if you come up with a good or fun team combination, I can try it out (given I have all the characters)
    I only have 4 covers on him now, so it will be a while for me before I could fully use him. 
    But like other said already, Bl4de would be a good pair. 

Other team that sounds good on paper (and moreso with the 5* version, but can also work with 3*) is Gambit, Carol & Coulson. 

Also a Gambit without red covers would work very well with Mockingbird or St4r-Lord.
  • JarvisJackrabbit
    JarvisJackrabbit Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I assume he gives Rogue as a champ reward. Is this true?
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    Options
    My 2/2/3 Gambit with Blade and Carol made a mockery of CL9 in Honor Among Thieves. Obviously he fuels Bloodlust, plus purple can overwrite symbiotes' tiles and provide numerous Carol tile buffs for my strikes.

The Surfer node was a little tough - even with Blade cranking from turn 3, three goons with 90k+ health each took a WHILE to grind through. Still, with Surfer charging blue and red tiles, by firing Aces and Eights whenever I had enough red to not shut off Bloodlust, I got a kind of semi-winfinite going.

Big thumbs up from me and i will 100% be chasing the 5* version. With red actually doing decent damage on top of the AP generation and spammability, he'll be pretty beastly.
  • White_Deth
    White_Deth Posts: 63 Match Maker
    Options
    Gambit, Blade, and Captain Marvel would be an awesome team! Gambit keeps feeding Blade. Captain makes all special tiles stronger from Gambits CD tiles.
    I was yhibking of that yesterday and drooling at the prospect of him on a team with yhose 2 especially if they were boosted like thia event. gambit would keep bloodlust on forever. Neither marvel or blade have a red or purple active. Carol pops down vlack and makes strike. Gambit can stop enemy tiles to an extent and then pop for damage and tile buff. His purple charges consantly to. However i dobt have a champ blade. Is his red tile more powerful than danvers black? I woul like energy manipulation to generate black and not more red, thats gambits job. I had blade doing 9k in bloodlust yesterday and hes only lvl  200 base before boost with 5 red covers in bloodlust. 
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Gambit, Blade, and Captain Marvel would be an awesome team! Gambit keeps feeding Blade. Captain makes all special tiles stronger from Gambits CD tiles.
    I was yhibking of that yesterday and drooling at the prospect of him on a team with yhose 2 especially if they were boosted like thia event. gambit would keep bloodlust on forever. Neither marvel or blade have a red or purple active. Carol pops down vlack and makes strike. Gambit can stop enemy tiles to an extent and then pop for damage and tile buff. His purple charges consantly to. However i dobt have a champ blade. Is his red tile more powerful than danvers black? I woul like energy manipulation to generate black and not more red, thats gambits job. I had blade doing 9k in bloodlust yesterday and hes only lvl  200 base before boost with 5 red covers in bloodlust. 
    Depends what you mean by "more powerful". If you're talking match damage, then yes his strongest color is red, so if he's at a higher level than your Carol, that will be the team's strongest color. If you're talking power damage, Carol wins based on impact. But overall, Bloodlust is still cranking out more damage because its 3K+ for every 1 red AP spent, assuming you're able to keep feeding him red. 
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mexus said:
    I champed him. Had a few spare CP.

He's OK. Spam-able skills yes, but that red is so weak (but with a few strike tiles it becomes deadly) and countdowners often get destroyed within the 3 rounds they last. :(
    He also has soooo low health but I have to remember he's still my lowest level champ after all.

What's good is that when there are charged tiles red will always destroy these, gaining AP accordingly (3AP / destroyed charged tile).
    Those countdowns do impressive damage for a 3* skill, though. Each one of them does reasonable 3* ability damage (Solar Beam, A Little Off the Top, Fists of Fury, etc...), and even if only two of them go off, you're still into Twin Pistols or Full Blast damage range (ok, not FULL Full Blast). And you generate 3 AP per turn to fire them. AND they might replace some strong enemy tiles (looking at you, Muscle).

I think it's a great power.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    Hi @D4Ni13
    Thanks for starting this thread analyzing Gambit (Modern)'s abilities, however I feel like this might be more appropriate located in Character Discussion.

Would you mind if I moved this over there, so all of his character discussions can remain in a centralized location?
  • D4Ni13
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Hi @D4Ni13
    Thanks for starting this thread analyzing Gambit (Modern)'s abilities, however I feel like this might be more appropriate located in Character Discussion.

Would you mind if I moved this over there, so all of his character discussions can remain in a centralized location?
    @Brigby.  No, I don't mind. Go ahead :) Thanks
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    *Moved to Character Discussion with OP's permission
  • Jaedenkaal
    Options
    It's a shame we don't have a Gambit (Modern) thread to do this in... :)
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So is a Gambit (5 black only)+Spider-Gwen going to be an actual headache? Or is it too slow to matter?
  • Vold
    Vold Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    edited October 2017
    Options
    thisone said:
    OJSP said:
    How about waiting until we have 14 Red AP and use the power twice in the same turn?
    He may lay the tiles then do the damage too, hard to say til we see him in action.
    Tried that, here's the result of using his red when full Red AP is gathered.

https://youtu.be/hVCD594dNzo

not impressed with the damage done to even a single target but AP boost at random colour.
    Edited: mind u this is just a lvl 3 Red from the story mode

Purple is good to remove enemy tiles like some Strange's purple but does more damage than Daredevil or Bullseye at the cost of countdown waiting.
  • D4Ni13
    Options

Jaedenkaal said:
    It's a shame we don't have a Gambit (Modern) thread to do this in... :)
    Just changed the topic title and description for that. 

@Brigby can you please move this to Characters Details ? Thanks in advance.  
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So I champed my 3-star Gambit last night. I actually spent 40 CP for his 12th and 13th covers as impatience got the better of me. I then proceeded to cut him loose in Honor Among Thieves. I tried him out at 3/5/5 at first, thinking I wanted to get the most out of his passive AP generation. I then flipped him to 5/5/3 to see how much it would slow him down.

I liked both builds. Anyone have any strong feelings for one vs. the other?

P.S. I had him partnered with C4rol and once she got her black off I just started spamming Gambit's powers and annihilated everything in front of me. 
  • Jaedenkaal
    Options
    mexus said:
    Dormammu said:
    So I champed my 3-star Gambit last night. I actually spent 40 CP for his 12th and 13th covers as impatience got the better of me. I then proceeded to cut him loose in Honor Among Thieves. I tried him out at 3/5/5 at first, thinking I wanted to get the most out of his passive AP generation. I then flipped him to 5/5/3 to see how much it would slow him down.

I liked both builds. Anyone have any strong feelings for one vs. the other?

P.S. I had him partnered with C4rol and once she got her black off I just started spamming Gambit's powers and annihilated everything in front of me. 
    I prefer 3 red basically because: I use red mostly as a spamming attack to get Coulson trigger countdown tiles and to generate AP from the charged tiles Gambit destroys. The damage is futile even at 5 covers.
    Purple is a fine power, it does good damage at 5 covers. Top notch for a 3* dude.
    Having not champed him yet, I'm thinking either 5/3/5 or 5/4/4. There's a small but clear tradeoff between faster AP and better damage, and I'm not sure where that line is yet. I'm thinking I'll probably settle on 5/3/5 so I can fire Aces & Eights as often as possible to rack up the AP for everyone else. The damage, as Mexus mentions, is barely worth considering either way (and if you really want damage, you can always add in some Strike tiles)
  • cgrubb80
    cgrubb80 Posts: 109 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I thought him paired with ms marvel and dr strange in pve would be killer built 5/3/5.