*** Gambit (Modern) ***

D4Ni13
D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
edited October 2017 in Character Details
Ragin' Cajun (purple) - 11AP
Create 2 3-turn CD tiles, replacing up to 2 enemy Strike, Protect or Attack tiles, which each deal 623 damage

• Level 2: increase damage to 818
  • Level 3: increase damage to 1022
  • Level 4: increase damage to 1421
  • Level 5: create 3 3-turn CD tiles, replacing up to 3 enemy Strike, Protect or Attack tiles, and increase the damage to 1499

MAX (5): Create 3 3-turn CD tiles, replacing up to 3 enemy Strike, Protect or Attack tiles, which each deal 2,678 damage

Aces & Eights (red) - 7AP
Destroy up to 2 Charged or basic tiles, dealing an extra 88 damage for each Charged tile destroyed this way. Then create 2 Charged tiles. 

• Level 2: increase damage to 117
  • Level 3: increase damage to 137
  • Level 4: increase damage to 196
  • Level 5: increase damage to 293

MAX (5): Destroy up to 2 Charged or basic tiles, dealing an extra 520 damage for each Charged tile destroyed this way. Then create 2 Charged tiles

Stacked Deck (black) - Passive
At the start of the turn gain 2 Purple AP. 
Gambit's allies may not fire powers the same color as Gambit's active powers.

• Level 2: also gain 1 Red AP
  • Level 3: increase red gain to 2 AP
  • Level 4: increase purple gain to 3 AP
  • Level 5: increase red gain to 3 AP

MAX (5): At the start of the turn gain 3 Purple AP and 3 Red AP. Gambit's allies may not fire powers the same color as Gambit's active powers.

Preview: 

Edited to *** Gambit (Modern) ***
Tagged:

Comments

• thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2017
    He targets charged tiles first, AND gets AP for them. Well 5* does not sure if 3* does. At the rate at which he gains red AP he will be doing that a lot too.

• D4Ni13
    edited October 2017
    thisone said:
    He targets charged tiles first, AND gets AP for them. Well 5* does not sure if 3* does. At the rate at which he gains red AP he will be doing that a lot too.

And if you don't have charged tiles on the board ? What is problematic to me is that you gather red AP each turn, and block any red active, to do what ? destroy 2 tiles ? 

On the other hand, at 5 black covers, you would have 6 red AP every 2 turn, so depending on what you destroy or match, you can actively use his red every 2-3 turn... but again, this is ok if you can select which tiles to destroy... if not, than IDK. 

mexus said:
    Well, being a level 40 dude he's aught to be underwhelming. 
    I was talking about the red and I took the numbers at max in consideration (multiply with 3.11 or so). The purple is fine. 

• STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    Eh. I think he'll be pretty good on the 3* level. First thought was to pair him with IM40 at 3/5/5 and KK at 5/3/5. You'll be spamming his red left and right (and thus getting burst healing), 2 good AoEs, and his purple will be good in a pinch in PvE against the Daken, Bullseye, and muscles.
  • D4Ni13
    edited October 2017
    mexus said:
    "For Gambit Modern 3-Star at level 166, each Charged tile destroyed deals an extra 520 damage. The 5-Star Gambit Classic deals 7,580 damage at level 450 power level 5 for each Charged tile destroyed this way."

That's a huuuuge step up in damage.
    Yes, but you have to have charged tiles on the board. Against Bolt or any other charged tile creator he will be very useful. But against goons or enemies that have no charged tiles, his red will be a wet noodle unless you can target what to destroy... at least that's my first impression. Hope I'm wrong. 
  • D4Ni13
    But then again, charge tile creators are increasing as we speak, so maybe his red will be good in the future. 
  • thisone
    D4Ni13 said:
    mexus said:
    "For Gambit Modern 3-Star at level 166, each Charged tile destroyed deals an extra 520 damage. The 5-Star Gambit Classic deals 7,580 damage at level 450 power level 5 for each Charged tile destroyed this way."

Yes, but you have to have charged tiles on the board. Against Bolt or any other charged tile creator he will be very useful. But against goons or enemies that have no charged tiles, his red will be a wet noodle unless you can target what to destroy... at least that's my first impression. Hope I'm wrong. 
    He is a charged tile creator though :/
  • D4Ni13
    edited October 2017
    thisone said:
    D4Ni13 said:
    mexus said:

He is a charged tile creator though :/
    Well i guess he can create his on charge tiles and than recast to destroy them. 14 AP which would be gathered in 5 turns (5 black) or 7 turns (if below 5 black). I guess it's ok. I mean the damage on the 5* sure is worth it. On the 3*, meh. 

No doubt the 5* seems great, judging the damage alone (maybe even more tiles destroyed). What I meant is that the 3* seems underwhelming, because at 3* range you don't have too many charged tile creators (Ragnarok), and to use 14 AP to deal 1000 damage seems a bit too expensive. 
  • thisone
    OJSP said:
    How about waiting until we have 14 Red AP and use the power twice in the same turn?
    He may lay the tiles then do the damage too, hard to say til we see him in action.
  • D4Ni13
    What about pairing him with 4blade? Self-sustaining bloodlust after 3 turns? Then it doesn't matter how good his red is.
    That may be a good use for him. You may want to protect him though.

A 3* in 4* land with boosted heroes every week is usually a liability. This week I played boosted Carol, C&D and X-23. Even if you used Bl4de, I would probably killed him before Gambit would actually gathered the required AP for Bloodlust. 
  • professorplum9
    professorplum9 Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    mexus said:
    What about pairing him with 4blade? Self-sustaining bloodlust after 3 turns? Then it doesn't matter how good his red is.
    We still don't know if he blocks other character's passive skills.

From the press release:

Josh Austin: Gambit gets a little selfish with Stacked Deck and will actually block an ally from using a red or purple power—this happens only if the player has a cover in either purple and/or red. So, you would not be able to use Rogue’s Red power (Sugah, You’re Goin’ Down) until Gambit gets downed, stunned, or sent Airborne. Passive powers will still trigger—only powers the player can trigger can be affected.
  • D4Ni13
    mexus said:
    We still don't know if he blocks other character's passive skills.

He doesn't. Only actives. So Bl4de definitely works, but as I said above, you have to protect Gambit if you bring him to 4* land. 
  • professorplum9
    professorplum9 Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    D4Ni13 said

That may be a good use for him. You may want to protect him though.

A 3* in 4* land with boosted heroes every week is usually a liability. This week I played boosted Carol, C&D and X-23. Even if you used Bl4de, I would probably killed him before Gambit would actually gathered the required AP for Bloodlust. 
    Totally agree. 5* version supposed to be the same but more powerful though. Niche use, but on boosted 4blade week could be fun. Just throwing it out there so Gambit doesn't get totally pigeon-holed as "The Selfish Battery" ;)

• ArcanaMoon
    ArcanaMoon Posts: 72 Match Maker
    Keep in mind Gambit´s black at LEVEL 1 give you 3 purple AND RED, we dont know the numbers at 5 covers. However! just at 1 cover of black, Gambit can fire his red power each 3 turns (2 if you did a match) shaking the bord and chargin titles at very fast rate.

It looks like the weakest power in the game... but IT NEED TO BE LIKE THAT because gambits power to selfbattery his own power, character who benefice from power casting like Coulson or KK WILL love having gambit on their ranks :)
  • ArcanaMoon
    ArcanaMoon Posts: 72 Match Maker
    mexus said:
    Keep in mind Gambit´s black at LEVEL 1 give you 3 purple AND RED, we dont know the numbers at 5 covers. However! just at 1 cover of black, Gambit can fire his red power each 3 turns (2 if you did a match) shaking the bord and chargin titles at very fast rate.

It looks like the weakest power in the game... but IT NEED TO BE LIKE THAT because gambits power to selfbattery his own power, character who benefice from power casting like Coulson or KK WILL love having gambit on their ranks :)
    The picture provided in the original post shows powers at 5 covers.
    You can click the small circles to display the power at 2, 3, 4 or 5 covers even if you have only 1 cover.

What's odd is that red is so poopy unpowerful while the 5* version is super-duper-powerful.
    Often when there's a 3* variant of a 5* the powers aren't that much different in power.

Still and like i said, you can fire that power incredeble fast, faster than any other character, shaking the board, chargin titles and takeing advantage of strike titles, true it seen under wheliming, but with that passive it need to be like that.

On side note... sundenly i see myself using gambit with Agent Venom for for shaking, i mean... ther might times where your purple is a dead wheigth, and agent Venom black pasive trigger each turn shaking the board badly each turn... seen pretty atractive to my. Of course, i one of the few who like agent vemon :)

• cgrubb80
    cgrubb80 Posts: 109 Tile Toppler
    I am not sure if I should build him.  I have over half of the 3*.  
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,288 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    Well the point is that the power shouldn't be overwhelming if you can automatically use it every 2-3 turns with his passive power.  It is a quantity power, not quality.  That damage will really begin to add up when it fires every other round or so, especially with strike tiles out there plus characters who function off active power uses (Prof X, KK, etc).  I think it will actually be a pretty decent power with strategy, by itself it isn't much, but when you look at the character and teams you can make, I think he will be fairly decent. I think his biggest limit is his black passive.  He just won't work well with many other characters who have red and purple actives as their best powers.

In some ways he acts as a glorified goon generating AP every turn.

Just imagine a team of him, 4* StarLord and 4* Grocket for PvE.  You could set starlord to 5 yellow for his pasive (ignoring his other powers since you can't use them), get Grocket's strike tiles and be firing Gambits red power for 5 AP nearly every turn with Starlords passive countdown tiles out there (assuming goons are in the node of course).
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    Really hoping you can fire Purple when there are no enemy A/P/S tiles out. I thought we'd got this all worked out with Riri. Although, gaining 3 Purple AP per turn would probably make that really oppressive if you could just fire it all the time. Combo with Patch, I guess?

Update: You can fire this power if there are no enemy tiles out, and it makes the CDs anyways. Win.

Other than that, his best case damage for Aces & Eights at 166 is ~1516 (two Purple charged tiles), plus getting the 6 Purple AP. Cascades are probably not even worth considering, although I guess they'll happen. If there are charged tiles out this is probably better than Hex Bolt (for whatever that's worth). Might be worth trying out with some 4* Thor team ups, since they have a decent chance to make some Red charged tiles, which make this power really spammable.

If Godlike Power wasn't so terrible he might actually make a good partner for Ragnarok.

Also, fwiw, full rainbow team with:
    3* Daken and 3* Storm
    3* Spider-Man and Quicksilver
    3* R&G and Hood
  • D4Ni13
    Really hoping you can fire Purple when there are no enemy A/P/S tiles out. I thought we'd got this all worked out with Riri. Although, gaining 3 Purple AP per turn would probably make that really oppressive if you could just fire it all the time. Combo with Patch, I guess?

Update: You can fire this power if there are no enemy tiles out, and it makes the CDs anyways. Win.

Other than that, his best case damage for Aces & Eights at 166 is ~1516 (two Purple charged tiles), plus getting the 6 Purple AP. Cascades are probably not even worth considering, although I guess they'll happen. If there are charged tiles out this is probably better than Hex Bolt (for whatever that's worth). Might be worth trying out with some 4* Thor team ups, since they have a decent chance to make some Red charged tiles, which make this power really spammable.

If Godlike Power wasn't so terrible he might actually make a good partner for Ragnarok.

Also, fwiw, full rainbow team with:
    3* Daken and 3* Storm
    3* Spider-Man and Quicksilver
    3* R&G and Hood
    So the red is random or selectable ?